United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Default Who was that result better for?

I think it's better for Barca. Yeah I know they never really looked like scoring but the game will be more open at home and they have to take some confidence from that performance. They played us off the £#%&!ing park in midfield.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:04 AM
armchair

Another unique point well worth a separate thread. It's 0-0, slight advantage to barca. They couldn't score could they? United had proper chances.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Spiffy

I can see them scoring. If we went to the Nou Camp knowing our goals are worth double we'd be buzzing. I'm scared.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:07 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
I can see them scoring. If we went to the Nou Camp knowing our goals are worth double we'd be buzzing. I'm scared.
If they score I hope it's early.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Another unique point well worth a separate thread. It's 0-0, slight advantage to barca. They couldn't score could they? United had proper chances.
harsh. Was just trying to make conversation.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:10 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Better result for them i think.

We have to win, they can come for a score draw.

Only problem is they can't defend or set up other than play attacking football.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:11 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
harsh. Was just trying to make conversation.
Start a thread about how big the pitch was then - that's the drill.

Here's a video

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:11 AM
chorleyred

we won't know till tuesday night who it was better for

hth

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
I think it's better for Barca. Yeah I know they never really looked like scoring but the game will be more open at home and they have to take some confidence from that performance. They played us off the £#%&!ing park in midfield.
ask anyone connected with Barca and they will tell you its advantage United

their away form this season is hardly anything to talk about.

they played well and still hardly created anything.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:50 AM
jem

Quote:
yup. if we went there needing to score, we'd be confident of doing it. that's because we are a better team.

the result was far better for barcelona. because we should have tonked them. because we missed a penalty. because we gave them hope. because we played like @#%&!.

in the context of the tie, it probably doesn't matter because we should still tonk them at home. but why £#%&!ing leave it to that?

we had better £#%&!ing tonk them.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Gog Coch

Quote:
Henry will come on play a shitter but score a wonderful goal and Bob's your uncle.

Unread 24-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Barracuda

Hard one to call IMO.

We can only go through by winning the game, but Barca go through by winning or score drawing - and probably by a goalless draw considering we're shit at penalties.

Therefore both teams HAVE to score, and both teams are more than capable of doing so. But it does hopefully mean that we see a very different game to last night, that one was attack against defence - the next one should be much more open ... neither team is trying to hold on to what they have.

I just hope we have as much dominance and possession as Barca had last night, because I don't think they could withstand that as well as we have. Both teams are probably fairly matched going forward, so the whole tie should be decided by which defence can cope better - and ours is surely the stronger of the two.

It basically boils down to a game similar to a final for us, we just need to outscore the other team. It's like a final on our own ground filled with our own fans - against a team who goes forward very well but defends terribly ... we really should be able to do it.

There is another thing to consider - imagine if last night's game was the total opposite, ... that it was our home leg and we had 75% of the ball and battered the shit out of Barca, but drew the game 0-0. I don't think we'd have been happy with that, or confident about the return leg.

Despite what Barca's players will say, that is how they'll be feeling as well - they've thrown everything at us and got absolutely £#%&! all to show for it with a much more difficult game to come.

As long as the players and/or SAF don't freeze on the occasion, and we play something like our natural game, then we should have too much for Barca's defence - they'll not be used to anything like the pressure and pace we can play at.

The question is, will we go out and play without fear - or will we crumble under the pressure of the game?

Unread 24-04-2008, 11:24 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Default Fuzz

How is it advantage barca ffs?

two game tie and you dont win your home game is not good. wed of all loved to have won 3-0 playing sexy futbol, but its the semi final of the european cup ffs and anyone who thinks barca are not one of the better teams in europe is clueless.

If the first leg had been at ot and barca came away with a draw theyd be rubbing their hands.

Wise up.

Unread 24-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
Hard one to call IMO.

We can only go through by winning the game, but Barca go through by winning or score drawing - and probably by a goalless draw considering we're shit at penalties.

Therefore both teams HAVE to score, and both teams are more than capable of doing so. But it does hopefully mean that we see a very different game to last night, that one was attack against defence - the next one should be much more open ... neither team is trying to hold on to what they have.

I just hope we have as much dominance and possession as Barca had last night, because I don't think they could withstand that as well as we have. Both teams are probably fairly matched going forward, so the whole tie should be decided by which defence can cope better - and ours is surely the stronger of the two.

It basically boils down to a game similar to a final for us, we just need to outscore the other team. It's like a final on our own ground filled with our own fans - against a team who goes forward very well but defends terribly ... we really should be able to do it.

There is another thing to consider - imagine if last night's game was the total opposite, ... that it was our home leg and we had 75% of the ball and battered the shit out of Barca, but drew the game 0-0. I don't think we'd have been happy with that, or confident about the return leg.

Despite what Barca's players will say, that is how they'll be feeling as well - they've thrown everything at us and got absolutely £#%&! all to show for it with a much more difficult game to come.

As long as the players and/or SAF don't freeze on the occasion, and we play something like our natural game, then we should have too much for Barca's defence - they'll not be used to anything like the pressure and pace we can play at.

The question is, will we go out and play without fear - or will we crumble under the pressure of the game?
Bottle is definetly the key. The comporsure or lack of it last night on the ball was so disappointing. Maybe it's just me but I just got that sinking
feeling that they were going to bottle it again. Thankfully the back four and Scholes didn't.

Unread 24-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane

Wise up.
Never!

Unread 24-04-2008, 11:34 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Default Barra - you say its a hard to call

and then go on to make exactly the case as to why its advantage united.

It is a european cup semi final after all.

Unread 24-04-2008, 11:37 AM
signed dc

As Abba might say, the winner takes it all, unless its a score draw

Unread 24-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Their attack mightn't be as potent but our midfield is definetly more disjointed (lately) Think about that, and when you're thinking about that, think about this; A score draw will win it for Barca.

Unread 24-04-2008, 11:55 AM
borsuk

if we can beat barca in a one leg game with home advantage then we're in the cl final. offer me that at the start of the season and i'd have bitten your hand off.

we've got a great chance. if we can't beat barca at old trafford then we don't deserve to go to the final, simple as that.

Unread 24-04-2008, 11:56 AM
JakeB

I dont know why anyone is trying to make out its a good result for united. If i was a barca fan I'd really think my team was on its way to moscow.

All it will take is one goal from them (them as in an attacking force of Messi, Eto'o, Bojan, Henry, Deco, Xavi, Iniesta) and we'll be in the shit. And no doubt we'll play conservatively at OT too. Maybe put Park in a free role again, with Tevez in midfield, Rooney on the wing...oh yes.

I wouldnt be worried if I thought we'd play our true game, but we wont.
Closed Thread