United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:10 AM
puressence

if fletcher isnt a first teamer know he never will be .........

same as if fraser campbell isnt any better than john oshea upfront sell him

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:11 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
In fairness I'd rather give Pique a chance in midfield than O'Shea. But then again, who are you going to throw up front when you need a goal but refuse to cross it head height?
The point is, we have more talented younger players coming through who I think are more than capable of fulfilling the roles currently filled by O' Shea and Fletcher. Difference is they are still young enough to kick on from that and become quality first teamers in time unlike the career backups they'd replace. No use whining about not bringing through youth players if you want to keep "decent squad players" ahead of them.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Whalefish

Info came from the same person who told me we had Tevez weeks ago and not to worry about all the crap that would be flying about in the press.

Fletcher bust ups were also reported in Red News.

However, like I said I wouldn't hold too much stock in the story. He's a player well liked and respected at OT so unless he pushes for a move I can't see him going anywhere. I still think he won't play many games this year - if he can't hold down a first team place now, he never will.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:12 AM
El Calafate

any player who is happy being on the bench season after season, should be shipped out. how silvestre is still here is a complete mystery to me. absolutely awful player. nft.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:13 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
You were saying this summer that if Heinze and Richardson leave then we need to keep Tweety.
I think maybe Jonny Evans can fill in there. I think we kinda do have to keep him 'til the summer, we should be addressing both fullback positions next summer.

The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Info came from the same person who told me we had Tevez weeks ago and not to worry about all the crap that would be flying about in the press.

However, like I said I wouldn't hold too much stock in the story. He's a player well liked and respected at OT so unless he pushes for a move I can't see him going anywhere. I still think he won't play many games this year - if he can't hold down a first team place now, he never will.
I think that's far more likely. It's worth him sticking around to see if he can make an impact despite new signings. If he's making considerably less impact then he'll obviously have to have a re think.

puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Calafate
any player who is happy being on the bench season after season, should be shipped out. how silvestre is still here is a complete mystery to me. absolutely awful player. nft.
agreed .nft

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:14 AM
El Calafate

Quote:

eventually he'll ask for a move, especially if he's not going to make the bench. he was captain last night, had all the limelight, do you think he'll be happy coming back to utd and playing in the reserves? nft.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:16 AM
tatty

With the influx we've had this summer the senior fringe players - with the exception of jos - need shipping out.

We've got the perfect opportunity now to have the youngsters blooded one by one in a very strong side.

It would be a very very strong side if fergie would buy me a new striker.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
The point is, we have more talented younger players coming through who I think are more than capable of fulfilling the roles currently filled by O' Shea and Fletcher. Difference is they are still young enough to kick on from that and become quality first teamers in time unlike the career backups they'd replace. No use whining about not bringing through youth players if you want to keep "decent squad players" ahead of them.
Agreed.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:19 AM
El Calafate

fletcher has had 4 yrs in the first team now and has done £#%&! all. motwyw. nft.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:20 AM
King Schlong

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I think Fletcher has undoubtedly improved in the last year.

I no longer shudder with horror at the prospect of him maybe coming on. He never let us down last year and chipped in with some important contributions.

Also, his performances at home to Roma and Milan were excellent and I think he proved he can be a valuable squad member without really pushing for a regular starting place.

I know it's a slightly trite thing to say, but you need players like him. He never complains (apart from now ) and always gets the balance right between doing the job he's been asked to do and making an impression on the manager.

He'll never be a world beater, but he's improved to a standard where he is a decent squad member and considering it's a squad game these days, I certainly wouldn't sell him.
Bang on mate.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:21 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
With the influx we've had this summer the senior fringe players - with the exception of jos - need shipping out.

Just wondering, why keep O' Shea if Pique is younger, more talented, could do exactly the same job and given the opportunity might develop into a regular first teamer?

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:23 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Schlong
Bang on mate.
Bang on? He is keeping Gibson out of the squad and so impeding his development. Should we just £#%&! off all our young players so we cankeep "decent squad [players who won't push for a first team place"? Do you see Darren still riding the bench for United at 33?

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:24 AM
tatty

Quote:
Just wondering, why keep O' Shea if Pique is younger, more talented, could do exactly the same job and given the opportunity might develop into a regular first teamer?
Tbh I know little of Pique beyond what is written on here.

For all jos faults (and he has many) the one thing he can do is plug 3 or 4 gaps in an emergency leaving extra places on the bench.

If Pique has got the same versatility and is a better player then fine, bin jos.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:25 AM
El Calafate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Tbh I know little of Pique beyond what is written on here.

For all jos faults (and he has many) the one thing he can do is plug 3 or 4 gaps in an emergency leaving extra places on the bench.

If Pique has got the same versatility and is a better player then fine, bin jos.
i doubt Pique could play RB and LB. nft.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Whalefish

CB and CM are Pique's spots IMO. Not too keen on him at full back although he has played at RB before now and done well enough.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:28 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Calafate
i doubt Pique could play RB and LB. nft.
He can play RB as well as O' Shea. Personally I'm hoping that Danny Simpson's gonna cover RB along with Wes. As to left back, it's not like O' Shea is actually any £#%&!in good there. O' Shea is basically used as a midfielder these days and I think Pique is better there and can also play CB which O' Shea basically cannot.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:28 AM
King Schlong

Quote:
Bang on? He is keeping Gibson out of the squad and so impeding his development. Should we just £#%&! off all our young players so we cankeep "decent squad [players who won't push for a first team place"? Do you see Darren still riding the bench for United at 33?
I don't rate Gibson personally. Too much of a plodder (if thats the right word) for me. He can pass and he can shoot, but thats about it. Doesn't seem to have no authority about the way he plays and doesn't get stuck in enough for my liking.

Edit: the wording of that post is £#%&!ed up and all over the place as i've been up almost 26 hours straight so i hope you get what im trying to say.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:29 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
CB and CM are Pique's spots IMO. Not too keen on him at full back although he has played at RB before now and done well enough.
Not too keen on O'Shea at fullback meself. We have Evans and Silvestre() to cover left back and Wes and Simpson at right back. It's as a midfilder and centre back we want cover and Pique's better at both than O Shea.
Closed Thread