United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-08-2007, 08:40 AM
El Calafate

he's shite. nft.

Unread 23-08-2007, 08:44 AM
The Return of JC

I think Fletcher has undoubtedly improved in the last year.

I no longer shudder with horror at the prospect of him maybe coming on. He never let us down last year and chipped in with some important contributions.

Also, his performances at home to Roma and Milan were excellent and I think he proved he can be a valuable squad member without really pushing for a regular starting place.

I know it's a slightly trite thing to say, but you need players like him. He never complains (apart from now ) and always gets the balance right between doing the job he's been asked to do and making an impression on the manager.

He'll never be a world beater, but he's improved to a standard where he is a decent squad member and considering it's a squad game these days, I certainly wouldn't sell him.

Unread 23-08-2007, 08:45 AM
tatty

I'm sorry but he's plop.

Unread 23-08-2007, 08:46 AM
El Calafate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I think Fletcher has undoubtedly improved in the last year.

I no longer shudder with horror at the prospect of him maybe coming on. He never let us down last year and chipped in with some important contributions.

Also, his performances at home to Roma and Milan were excellent and I think he proved he can be a valuable squad member without really pushing for a regular starting place.

I know it's a slightly trite thing to say, but you need players like him. He never complains (apart from now ) and always gets the balance right between doing the job he's been asked to do and making an impression on the manager.

He'll never be a world beater, but he's improved to a standard where he is a decent squad member and considering it's a squad game these days, I certainly wouldn't sell him.
Gibson > Fletcher.

nft.

Unread 23-08-2007, 08:49 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Calafate
Gibson > Fletcher.

nft.
What a well reasoned point. Why not keep both?

Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson. That's really healthy competition for a midfield berth. A good balance of youth and experience.

Unread 23-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Whalefish

It's all well and good saying he's improved a lot and become a 'squad member' but do we know if that's what he wants? I suspect he wants regular games now and he won't get that at Utd. In fact when he wasn't on the bench for Citeh I thought he could be ready to pack his bags.

Calling Walter Smith......

Unread 23-08-2007, 08:54 AM
El Calafate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
What a well reasoned point. Why not keep both?

Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson. That's really healthy competition for a midfield berth. A good balance of youth and experience.
Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, Gibson, O'Shea, Pique.

nft.

Unread 23-08-2007, 08:56 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
It's all well and good saying he's improved a lot and become a 'squad member' but do we know if that's what he wants? I suspect he wants regular games now and he won't get that at Utd. In fact when he wasn't on the bench for Citeh I thought he could be ready to pack his bags.

Calling Walter Smith......
Well, we don't know do we?

I wouldn't put too much stock into this story. I think it's only to coincide with the contrast between captaining his country but failing to make the bench for his team (something he failed to do many times last year - it doesn't mean much).

We can only really judge by how he conducts himself and during his time he's always worked hard and showed a great desire to improve. His attitude is admirable for that of a squad member. He's always seemed happy to fight for his place and I'd keep him if he reamains happy to do that.
If he's not then ofcourse that's a whole other story. But one shit stirring, shallow news article aside, he's given no indication of that.

Unread 23-08-2007, 08:57 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, Gibson, O'Shea, Pique.

nft.
There's been no indication that Pique will play in the midfield, if at all.

Unread 23-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

He should be prepared to get less games this season. I know people were exaggerating his impact against Milan and Roma but he really isn't the type of player to go around sweeping up like Hargreaves is expected to do. He's too light and loses posession very easily when he's got someone on his back.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:00 AM
antonin jablonsky

Personally I'd get rid of Fletcher and O' Shea and promote Gibson and Pique to replace them.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Whalefish

He had a bust up with Rio and Giggsy last season, more than once and threw his toys out of the pram when not selected for certain games.

I agree there's probably not much stock in the story but IMO he wants to be playing and he's not good enough to play regularly for Utd, not now we've signed Hargreaves/Carrick/Anderson and have Gibson coming through.

I'd have no problem if he went to Newcastle (swap for Martins) or ended up at Rangers/Celtic.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:03 AM
El Calafate

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Personally I'd get rid of Fletcher and O' Shea and promote Gibson and Pique to replace them.
i haven't a problem with O'Shea, tbh. i'd get rid of Fletcher and Silvestre. nft.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

John O'Shea is the utility man, you need at least one of them.

Whalers, suprised to hear Fletcher getting too big for his boots, he doesn't seem like the over confident type.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:05 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
i haven't a problem with O'Shea, tbh. i'd get rid of Fletcher and Silvestre. nft.
I'd get rid of all 3. Oh and it's not about having a particular problem with them I just think they are average [players who are keeping better quality younger players out of the squad and thus impeding their development. If Fletcher going can cause Gibson to fulfil his potential at Unitred it would be well worth it and the same goes for O' Shea and pique.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:06 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
John O'Shea is the utility man, you need at least one of them.
Pique can play fullback(sort of), centre back and midfield.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Whalefish

Yeah so was I.

Think it's frustration more than anything else. He'd be a regular for most other sides out of the top 6 say and in order to really push on with his development I think he needs that. Coming on and getting stuck on the wing or at right back isn't very good IMO.

I mean how often has the lad actually played in centre midfield for Utd? O'Shea now seems to be ahead of him and he's a defender by trade.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

In fairness I'd rather give Pique a chance in midfield than O'Shea. But then again, who are you going to throw up front when you need a goal but refuse to cross it head height?

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:08 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
He had a bust up with Rio and Giggsy last season, more than once and threw his toys out of the pram when not selected for certain games.

I agree there's probably not much stock in the story but IMO he wants to be playing
and he's not good enough to play regularly for Utd, not now we've signed Hargreaves/Carrick/Anderson and have Gibson coming through.

I'd have no problem if he went to Newcastle (swap for Martins) or ended up at Rangers/Celtic.

How do you know all of this?

And ofcourse he wants to playing - everybody does! The question is whether or not he's willing to continue to be patient and appear sporadically.
My point is if he's happy to do that (and none of us know if he is) then he's worth keeping.

In the last year he's become worth a place in the squad.

Unread 23-08-2007, 09:09 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I'd get rid of all 3. Oh and it's not about having a particular problem with them I just think they are average [players who are keeping better quality younger players out of the squad and thus impeding their development. If Fletcher going can cause Gibson to fulfil his potential at Unitred it would be well worth it and the same goes for O' Shea and pique.
You were saying this summer that if Heinze and Richardson leave then we need to keep Tweety.
Closed Thread