United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-05-2015, 10:20 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yes, but that only really counts if that natural brilliance is already there. LvG can't teach Giggs to be a great manager because that can't be taught. All the great advice and experience only counts if Giggs has his own qualities. Kidd worked with Fergie for years; Steve Clarke was one of Mourinho's right-hand men. It doesn't mean much if they don't have that element of genius about them to start with.

I share Kaiser's concerns, tbh. I don't think for much of Giggs' playing career he was ever seen as management material. It's only something that has got going in the last year and to me smacks of romanticism over reality. Obviously it puts van Gaal in an awkward position when asked about it because he knows Giggs really wants the job, but I hope that when the time comes he will be typically frank with the club about his thoughts on the issue, whatever they may be.
Van Gaal knew when he took the job that part of his remit was to mentor Giggs. I'd hope it included the freedom to at least advise if he didn't think it would work, whether the club agrees or not.

Not sure I'd have Van Gaal handpick a successor either tbh, Lord knows what a £#%&!ing hash we made of that last time

Unread 12-05-2015, 10:51 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Van Gaal knew when he took the job that part of his remit was to mentor Giggs. I'd hope it included the freedom to at least advise if he didn't think it would work, whether the club agrees or not.

Not sure I'd have Van Gaal handpick a successor either tbh, Lord knows what a £#%&!ing hash we made of that last time
I suspect he'd advise whether asked or not, tbh

This thing of club legends taking over so often just doesn't work. Even in cases where they've had some management experience, such as Klinsmann or Souness, the inclination to opt for a former great often leads clubs to make a bad decision. I think that's what Kaiser was getting at when he said that all the good work could be undone with a bad call when LvG leaves.

Would really like to see Giggs have a go somewhere else, maybe next summer. Even if it didn't work out, as was the case for Luis Enrique in Italy, at least it would give him some experience and test out some of his own ideas and intuition for a year or two.

Unread 12-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Pop

Quote:

This thing of club legends taking over so often just doesn't work. Even in cases where they've had some management experience, such as Klinsmann or Souness, the inclination to opt for a former great often leads clubs to make a bad decision. I think that's what Kaiser was getting at when he said that all the good work could be undone with a bad call when LvG leaves.

Would really like to see Giggs have a go somewhere else. Even if it didn't work out, as was the case for Luis Enrique in Italy, at least it would give him some experience and test out some of his own ideas and intuition for a year or two.
Yep, just look at Gerrard on Sky the other day. Post match interview and he was already blabbing on about returning to the club "in some capacity". The arrogant @#%&! obviously see's himself as their manager in waiting and £#%&!witts like Geoff Shreeves lapped it up.

Be great if it did happen and he done a Shearer though

Unread 12-05-2015, 10:54 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Yep, just look at Gerrard on Sky the other day. Post match interview and he was already blabbing on about returning to the club "in some capacity". The arrogant @#%&! obviously see's himself as their manager in waiting and £#%&!witts like Geoff Shreeves lapped it up.

Be great if it did happen and he done a Shearer though
That @#%&! will be fully intent on soaking up all this adulation. Then trying to come back on loan in January. Absolutely nqat.

Unread 26-07-2015, 02:17 PM
innit

Going to City next season according to BeIN Sports.

Unread 26-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by innit

Unread 26-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Pop

Couldn't care less tbh.

Unread 26-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Vedder

Arsed? He's taken Bayern backwards

Unread 26-07-2015, 02:27 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Arsed? He's taken Bayern backwards
This.. or should i say, he's not exactly pushed on with them... and, and i know this will sound churlish, how many people could have done what he did at barcelona? Enrique's done alright, too.

Unread 26-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Jethro

Wondering when this would be bumped

Unread 26-07-2015, 03:39 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
means £#%&! all then?

Unread 26-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
means £#%&! all then?
Verbal agreement ffs

Unread 26-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:

Would really like to see Giggs have a go somewhere else, maybe next summer. Even if it didn't work out, as was the case for Luis Enrique in Italy, at least it would give him some experience and test out some of his own ideas and intuition for a year or two.
the point is you cannot dismiss Giggs as a potential successor circa 2017 just out of some sort of misplaced pretence that in 2015 you know better that he won't be ready after working under LVG for 2 more years.

you can go round and round with the same arguments against all you like, you still can't dismiss the potential for it to work. and obviously apart from anything else giggs himself might not think he's ready by 2017.

Unread 26-07-2015, 04:03 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by innit

Closed Thread