Default Ronaldo named world player of year

breaking on ssn

Edit, link: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...411544,00.html

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:20 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB
breaking on ssn
Is the FIFpro award the actual, genuine World Player Award or is it like comparing Shoot Magazine player of the year to the PFA Award?

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:21 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Is the FIFpro award the actual, genuine World Player Award or is it like comparing Shoot Magazine player of the year to the PFA Award?
I think it is the genuine one isnt it? The one Kaka won last year..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFPro_..._of_th e_Year

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:23 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
I think it is the genuine one isnt it? The one Kaka won last year..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFPro_..._of_th e_Year
I don't know. I'm genuinely asking. I saw Kaka won it last year, but it's usually the same player for each award anyway.

Wouldn't there have been a big, pretentious awards ceremony if it was the main player of the year award?

And what's the other one, is it the Balon D'or? Is that just European?

EDIT: It's only been running since 2005 so it's not the main one, is it?

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:24 PM
JakeB

Actually it's not..Kaka did indeed win the FIFpro last year, but the FIFA world player of the year is the genuine one..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Player_of_the_Year

I'm sure winning the Fifpro one is a good sign though

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Ginners

its not "the" world player of the year award

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:26 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Actually it's not..Kaka did indeed win the FIFpro last year, but the FIFA world player of the year is the genuine one..

That's a relief. Thought I may have had to praise him then

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Sloppy

Its fifpro award.

Heres the team of the year.

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), John Terry (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Kaka (AC Milan), Xavi (Barcelona), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Fernando Torres (Liverpool), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United).

Casillas

Ramos - Terry - Ferdinand - Puyol

Gerrard - Kaka - Xavi

Ronaldo --------------------- Messi

------------Torres--------------

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...406833,00.html

read some of the comments on there.the filth really think rio is shite and carragher is better.

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:29 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:

Just looking at the list of top threes. Shows you what %@#$&!s it all is. Beckham is in there in 2001 and 1999. Don't get me wrong, his contribution was great around then, but bigger than Keane, Yorke or Cole in that year. Sh'yeah right.

And Frank Lampard 2nd in 2005

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Its fifpro award.

Heres the team of the year.

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), John Terry (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Kaka (AC Milan), Xavi (Barcelona), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Fernando Torres (Liverpool), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United).

Casillas

Ramos - Terry - Ferdinand - Puyol

Gerrard - Kaka - Xavi

Ronaldo --------------------- Messi

------------Torres--------------

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...406833,00.html

read some of the comments on there.the filth really think rio is shite and carragher is better.
Torres

There are better strikers than that diving #@&%! smoker any day of the week...

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:33 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Just looking at the list of top threes. Shows you what %@#$&!s it all is. Beckham is in there in 2001 and 1999. Don't get me wrong, his contribution was great around then, but bigger than Keane, Yorke or Cole in that year. Sh'yeah right.

Alot of those players are there because of there name.

Kaka is a brilliant footballer, but what's he done in the past year?

Ramos is shite and is only there because his Country won Euro 2008.

Gerrard was in a team who were nowhere near there domestic league, lost in the CL Semi Final and he never played in Euro 2008!

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:35 PM
The Watcher

The Balon D'or (European Footballer of the Year) is the most prestigious award. Awarded by France Football Magazine I think. That's the award Best, Law and Charlton won in the 1960s I believe.

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:42 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!

Gerrard was in a team who were nowhere near there domestic league, lost in the CL Semi Final and he never played in Euro 2008!
Correct.

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:43 PM
waynes ear's

great

Unread 27-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!

Kaka & Gerrard... granted. Not their best years.

But Ramos... Madrid won their league & Spain won the Euro's. Ramos is a top right back, slightly dodgy centre back. Can't really criticise his inclusion.

Evra should have been in there, but Domanech is a mentalist & plays Abidal instead so his International status is lessened. Nevermind....

Unread 27-10-2008, 03:17 PM
magic_cantona

Gerrard

Unread 27-10-2008, 03:39 PM
red red robbo

Quote:

That's crap about Beckham. Have a look at the results in 1999 and check out the number of times Beckham dug us out of the shit.

On the other hand, you are quite correct about Lampard

Unread 27-10-2008, 04:19 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
That's crap about Beckham. Have a look at the results in 1999 and check out the number of times Beckham dug us out of the shit.

On the other hand, you are quite correct about Lampard
Beckham contributed a lot, but he was not our best player in 99. He didn't even win the domestic player of the year award, so I fail to see how he can get in the top three in the world for that year.

Unread 27-10-2008, 04:28 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Beckham contributed a lot, but he was not our best player in 99. He didn't even win the domestic player of the year award, so I fail to see how he can get in the top three in the world for that year.
Because all player of the year awards are shite?

Unread 27-10-2008, 04:38 PM
notrightnow

FIFPRO is the international version of the PFA so it's voted for by professional footballers - nice to win, but not the traditional big prize.

Ballon D'Or is voted for by a hundred or so reporters - but it's got years of pedigree and a lot of respect.

FIFA World Player is voted for by people like national team captains and managers.
Closed Thread