United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-12-2017, 06:38 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
That 2013 squad needed rebuilding, but it would have been a squad Mourinho could have worked with. In many ways, it was his ideal type of squad - a load of players over the age of 30 who were highly experienced at the very top level, and a dressing room full of winning characters.

The biggest challenge that season was finding someone who had the mentality and confidence to take over from Ferguson, and Mourinho was literally the only man in the game who had the mindset to handle that challenge. David Moyes, ffs.

Mourinho would have most likely steadied the ship, won a title, and then moved on. The club would have felt a lot more comfortable in the post-Fergie era, and could have put a proper long-term succession plan in place thereafter.

No point crying over spilt milk now though. United should be looking to build a new, exciting, young side ready to take the challenge to City over the next few years, but I don't see much progress in that regard...
Totally agree. We all spent years expecting it to be Mourinho and it would have been the ideal job for him given the players we had.

He’d possibly be gone by now anyway and at some stage we’d have gone down the road of tryin someone who would modernise the football. I really think Guardiola in 2013 could have been a disaster given how drastically differently he’d have wanted to change things.

That said, getting LvG on a two year deal and having the right organisation at board level for his arrival, then signing Guardiola to replace him, may well have worked out so well for us that it was worth six months of Moyes at the start.

Failing to get Guardiola is probably worse than hiring Moysie. Imo.

Unread 28-12-2017, 06:50 PM
LFOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade
Would have not had to put up with Moyes' and LvG's shitc*** signings of BogBrush, Herrera, Darmian, Blind, Rojo, Depay and Schneiderlin as well.
ADM , Falcao came in and out double quick. shifted better players for shit. a rebuild after a rebuild by LVG. moyes didn't get but wiggy and mata no one wanted to come here or we £#%&!ed it so badly the deals didn't get done - and when we got em , anders and shaw - 60M pissed away. so LVG and moyes bought about 11 players not here or should be £#%&!ed off asap.

Unread 28-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
That 2013 squad needed rebuilding, but it would have been a squad Mourinho could have worked with. In many ways, it was his ideal type of squad - a load of players over the age of 30 who were highly experienced at the very top level, and a dressing room full of winning characters.

The biggest challenge that season was finding someone who had the mentality and confidence to take over from Ferguson, and Mourinho was literally the only man in the game who had the mindset to handle that challenge. David Moyes, ffs.

Mourinho would have most likely steadied the ship, won a title, and then moved on. The club would have felt a lot more comfortable in the post-Fergie era, and could have put a proper long-term succession plan in place thereafter.

No point crying over spilt milk now though. United should be looking to build a new, exciting, young side ready to take the challenge to City over the next few years, but I don't see much progress in that regard...
This absolutely nails the heart of it. Jose - at that point in time - was the only person on the planet who had the experience, ego and self-belief to successfully follow Ferguson.

I guess we'll never know the truth of why he wasn't offered it at the time, but it was a catastrophe on a par with Wilf McGuinness being appointed to succeed Matt Busby.

United simply didn't heed the lesson of their own history.

Unread 28-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
I guess we'll never know the truth of why he wasn't offered it at the time, but it was a catastrophe
It was all the "both Scottish", "cut from the same cloth", "knows the league", "United are not a hire and fire club", "Fergie knows best", etc. garbage going on in the media as well as Moyes being mates with Fergie.

Then there was all the Old Trafford mongs that took Fergie's words as gospel and attacked anyone who didn't agree with David Moyes becoming the manager.

As well as the idiots who constantly spewed the "Mourinho will tear down the club's history and traditions" and "classless eye-gouging @#%&!" jibes.

Ironically though, so far it really does appear that he's tearing down United's tradition on the pitch.

Unread 28-12-2017, 07:11 PM
LFOD

Quote:
It was all the "both Scottish", "cut from the same cloth", "knows the league", "United are not a hire and fire club", "Fergie knows best", etc. garbage going on in the media as well as Moyes being mates with Fergie.

Then there was all the Old Trafford mongs that took Fergie's words as gospel and attacked anyone who didn't agree with David Moyes becoming the manager.

As well as the idiots who constantly spewed the "Mourinho will tear down the club's history and traditions" and "classless eye-gouging c***" jibes.

Ironically though, so far it really does appear that he's tearing down United's tradition on the pitch.
topper was he got a song and a banner did £#%&!all and won - £#%&!all.

Unread 28-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Nelson

Quote:

What I'll never understand though Shaders, is why, given Fergie's rightly legendary status as a man manager and judge of character, he could have ever looked Moyes in the eye and seen a successful Manchester United manager in there?

How can the same man see Roy Keane as the future captain of Manchester United and David Moyes as manager ffs?!

"We aspire to be at the same level as Manchester City." Christ, how that's come back to haunt us.

Unread 28-12-2017, 07:30 PM
dunk

Quote:
"We aspire to be at the same level as Manchester City." Christ, how that's come back to haunt us.
He was right tbf.

Unread 28-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
What I'll never understand though Shaders, is why, given Fergie's rightly legendary status as a man manager and judge of character, he could have ever looked Moyes in the eye and seen a successful Manchester United manager in there?

How can the same man see Roy Keane as the future captain of Manchester United and David Moyes as manager ffs?!

Moyes is a yes man.

He'd never ever say what Mourinho said in the post match presser the other day, if you catch my drift...

Although, I'm sure mistakes were realised within the first week of pre season...

Unread 28-12-2017, 07:47 PM
jem

Quote:

As well as the idiots who constantly spewed the "Mourinho will tear down the club's history and traditions" and "classless eye-gouging @#%&!" jibes.

there's no irony there. hth.

I was totally against moyes and mourinho. at least lvg made sense, particularly if he was to be the john the baptist to guardiola's christ.

not that I like guardiola much either, tbh.

Unread 28-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Neo

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
there's no irony there. hth.

I was totally against moyes and mourinho. at least lvg made sense, particularly if he was to be the john the baptist to guardiola's christ.

not that I like guardiola much either, tbh.
Who are your top 3 managers in football history, Jem?

Unread 28-12-2017, 08:23 PM
Kangared

Mourinho was the obvious choice. Would have been a smooth transition & as much in need of a rebuild that squad looks like it needed now looking back I think it would have been seamless under Jose with us challenging for the title every season.

A lot of talk that Fergie didn't want an ego as big as his at the club & that Moyes was a sacrificial lamb but I just bethink fergie putb too much faith in Moyes' accent

Its the post Mourinho years where the problems would have probably started, which would be now

Unread 28-12-2017, 09:19 PM
sa7

Quote:
It's 2013. Fergie is going. What do you do?
Shoot myself

Unread 28-12-2017, 09:50 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
Shoot myself

Unread 28-12-2017, 11:54 PM
Stickman

Mourinho was such an obvious choice its just daft we didn't make it happen.

If we weren't going to go for him for whatever reason Id have went short term on Ancelotti purely on experience and the fact he would likely have assumed the respect to the squad. Basically bring him in to mediate the situation we found ourselves in.

A Giggs/Quieroz double act might have been a decent shout for one season only until the right man was available.

Unread 29-12-2017, 12:28 AM
Rorschach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Mourinho was such an obvious choice its just daft we didn't make it happen.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
A Giggs/Quieroz double act might have been a decent shout for one season only until the right man was available.
£#%&! no!

No!

NO!!!

Unread 29-12-2017, 01:00 AM
20 times

Ban anyone called clownbones from posting on Internet forums

Remember the person on RI who called themselves “Keane,manager in waiting?”?

Unread 29-12-2017, 01:14 AM
Shade

Quote:

How can the same man see Roy Keane as the future captain of Manchester United and David Moyes as manager ffs?!.
Fergie is a legend, but let's not pretend that he wasn't a selfish and spiteful @#%&!.

Unread 29-12-2017, 01:34 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Who are your top 3 managers in football history, Jem?
busby, clough and me.

Unread 29-12-2017, 01:48 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Fergie is a legend, but let's not pretend that he wasn't a selfish and spiteful c***.
His whole "back the manager" spiel foreshadowed what was to come. Must have known he'd be out of his depth the minute he told him he'd be the next manager.

Unread 29-12-2017, 02:01 AM
armchair

worst episode of quantum leap ever.
Closed Thread