United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 12-01-2024, 05:40 PM
Zorg

Iirc Keegan had to stand outside St. James' Park to calm down a crowd of irate Geordies

Cole's link-up play never got the credit it deserved. 1995-96 he was involved in tons of goals, and bagged a lot himself considering he never took a single pen.

The Sheringham thing was a bit odd mind.

Unread 12-01-2024, 06:03 PM
Ethers

He did

Unread 12-01-2024, 06:17 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
He did

Fashion was just better in the 90’s wasn’t it.

Unread 13-01-2024, 12:54 AM
armchair

The disrespect he showed Cole in that fans meetup was incredible. You guys mightn't remember but Andrew never forgets.

Unread 13-01-2024, 01:21 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
The disrespect he showed Cole in that fans meetup was incredible. You guys mightn't remember but Andrew never forgets.
He was much less bothered about Cole leaving than was assumed, they’d had a big falling earlier in the season

Unread 13-01-2024, 01:29 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
He was much less bothered about Cole leaving than was assumed, they’d had a big falling earlier in the season
He basically said, ok andrew was scoring a lot of goals and was a unique striker but just scoring goals is tactically naive.

Signed Asprilla

I'm Kevin Keegan and welcome to my Ted Talk.

Unread 13-01-2024, 08:32 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
He basically said, ok andrew was scoring a lot of goals and was a unique striker but just scoring goals is tactically naive.

Signed Asprilla

I'm Kevin Keegan and welcome to my Ted Talk.
Tbf, Ferdinand was the replacement for Cole. Found it bizarre when they sold him to Spurs. But he didn't do a great deal after that. Think it was Dalglish who got rid

Unread 13-01-2024, 09:14 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Tbf, Ferdinand was the replacement for Cole. Found it bizarre when they sold him to Spurs. But he didn't do a great deal after that. Think it was Dalglish who got rid
According to wiki he scored 41 in 68 there.

Seems bonkers to have got rid but then looking at his Spurs record, they seem to have got it right.

Unread 13-01-2024, 09:47 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
According to wiki he scored 41 in 68 there.

Seems bonkers to have got rid but then looking at his Spurs record, they seem to have got it right.
50 in 84 in all comps. Outscored Cole by some margin over those 2 seasons (20 in 71), but Cole had quite a few issues early on at Utd. He didn't really take off until 97/98.

Ferdinand had a bit of everything, pace, power, good in the air. Probably be worth quite a few quid in today's market

About 6 mins in on his transfer to Utd falling through in 94

Unread 13-01-2024, 09:56 AM
Stickman

Quote:
50 in 84 in all comps. Outscored Cole by some margin over those 2 seasons (20 in 71), but Cole had quite a few issues early on at Utd. He didn't really take off until 97/98.

Ferdinand had a bit of everything, pace, power, good in the air. Probably be worth quite a few quid in today's market

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91eSraw5j80

About 6 mins in on his transfer to Utd falling through in 94
He was a player alright, another that just couldn’t get a sniff for England either.

I didn’t realise Cole was as low as that. Would have had him at 10 more goals.

He was a sub in the league decider at Boro in 95/96, you wonder if he was close to being sold at that time. Great moment when he popped the 2nd goal in though, he looked absolutely made up.

Unread 13-01-2024, 09:58 AM
Coracao

Quote:
He was a player alright, another that just couldn’t get a sniff for England either.

I didn’t realise Cole was as low as that. Would have had him at 10 more goals.

He was a sub in the league decider at Boro in 95/96, you wonder if he was close to being sold at that time. Great moment when he popped the 2nd goal in though, he looked absolutely made up.
He got 12 in 18 in that first half season he played, but I was just on about the time period Ferdinand was at Newcastle.

Unread 13-01-2024, 10:14 AM
Stickman

Quote:
He got 12 in 18 in that first half season he played, but I was just on about the time period Ferdinand was at Newcastle.
yep I got you.

5 of that 12 were in the Ipswich game too. Was a bumpier start than expected.

Unread 13-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Loved Andrew. Was more of a modern day forward than is often given credit for. Pressing monster and ran the channels on both sides.

Unread 14-01-2024, 09:56 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
yep I got you.

5 of that 12 were in the Ipswich game too. Was a bumpier start than expected.
I recall it well, some in the media absolutely slaughtered him

(things don't change much do they)