United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 09-01-2024, 08:20 PM
Gordon Hill

Default 29 years ago United Signed Andy Cole

To say Cole's sudden signing took us all by surprise would be an understatment & could'nt imagine United doing a deal as quickly these days as they did twice in the 90's as it came just a couple of years after's Eric's arrival from, Leeds & The fact that the press/media seemed to be as surpised as us spoke volumes regarding how-well Fergie had carried out the entire transfer without anyone working-out what was happening untill the deal was done:

Unread 09-01-2024, 08:33 PM
Finport Red

Brilliant day when we took him from that shower.

Loved Cole. Goal machine and his play with yorke in 1998/99 in particular was sublime at times.

Unread 09-01-2024, 08:37 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
Brilliant day when we took him from that shower.

Loved Cole. Goal machine and his play with yorke in 1998/99 in particular was sublime at times.
Thinking back on it now with the benefit of hindsight that was probobly the start off Keegan losing the plot not that us we're complaining of cause

Unread 09-01-2024, 08:38 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hill
Thinking back on it now with the benefit of hindsight that was probobly the start off Keegan losing the plot not that us we're complaining of cause
To be fair, he got the best years of Keith Gillespie’s career in return.

Unread 09-01-2024, 08:38 PM
AK14

I remember seeing it on the evening news at my grandparents house.

No endless rumours for weeks/months. How great were those days

Unread 09-01-2024, 08:44 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

Gossiping grandparents are the worst.

Unread 09-01-2024, 08:44 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
To be fair, he got the best years of Keith Gillespie’s career in return.
This is true.

Unread 09-01-2024, 08:46 PM
tatty

Wasn’t convinced until the 98/99 season.

And he was pretty awful in the 95/96 season so I wouldn’t have been surprised to see him go if Shearer had signed.

Unread 09-01-2024, 08:48 PM
Chris Quayd

Mum picked me up from school and told me we'd signed Andrew Cole, was thrown for a minute as I'd always known him as Andy. Was in sheer disbelief on the way home until Ceefax 303 confirmed it, utter heaven

Unread 09-01-2024, 08:56 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

The first I herd of it was was on Radio1 about 10.30 that evening & as you rightly pointed-out they we're Great days when United used to call a press confrence to say look who we've just signed if only they could even wrap-up a signing at half that speed these days it would be hugely appreciated compared to the slow drip-drip snail signing of someone such as ,Sancho for exapmle that took over a year to actuely happen & when he did arrive he rarely lived-up to any of our expectaions with his only highlight being his goal in our 2-1 win V the Scousers last season.

Unread 09-01-2024, 09:05 PM
Jethro

Pretty sure the white away kit came out the same day. Remember buzzing at training that night.

Unread 10-01-2024, 02:10 AM
Sheik JaBooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Mum picked me up from school and told me we'd signed Andrew Cole, was thrown for a minute as I'd always known him as Andy. Was in sheer disbelief on the way home until Ceefax 303 confirmed it, utter heaven
State of the art tech back then. Only rich people had ceefax round our way.

Unread 10-01-2024, 08:21 AM
magic_cantona

Was playing pool in my local with a couple of mates, one who is a #@&%!head of a Liverpool fan. It came on the main news and he just kept saying "won't happen...nope....won't happen".

Marvellous how upsetting it was for everyone else while we were all absolutely buzzing.

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:58 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Wasn’t convinced until the 98/99 season.

And he was pretty awful in the 95/96 season so I wouldn’t have been surprised to see him go if Shearer had signed.
He wasn't awful by any stretch but the fans were on his back bigtime, expecting him to hit the heights that he'd reached with Newcastle immediately and more than that he bore the brunt of the blame for not scoring against West Ham on the final day of the previous season. Still bagged 13 goals mind.

I'll tell you what though he NEVER once let his head drop. Constantly showed for the ball, was brave in the tackle and his link up play was good.

It's that version of Andy Cole that I always think of when I think of some of the utter cowards that play for us currently. They let their shoulders slump and visibly have no resilience.

Cole's arc at United is one of my favourite ever because it was a story of perseverance, peaking with scoring the winner in 99 to set the Treble in motion.

Unread 10-01-2024, 04:13 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Gossiping grandparents are the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Was playing pool in my local with a couple of mates, one who is a #@&%!head of a Liverpool fan. It came on the main news and he just kept saying "won't happen...nope....won't happen".

Marvellous how upsetting it was for everyone else while we were all absolutely buzzing.
It certainly was & could'nt imagine anything like that happening these days sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
He wasn't awful by any stretch but the fans were on his back bigtime, expecting him to hit the heights that he'd reached with Newcastle immediately and more than that he bore the brunt of the blame for not scoring against West Ham on the final day of the previous season. Still bagged 13 goals mind.

I'll tell you what though he NEVER once let his head drop. Constantly showed for the ball, was brave in the tackle and his link up play was good.

It's that version of Andy Cole that I always think of when I think of some of the utter cowards that play for us currently. They let their shoulders slump and visibly have no resilience.

Cole's arc at United is one of my favourite ever because it was a story of perseverance, peaking with scoring the winner in 99 to set the Treble in motion.
Yes same here & if it was possible to give you some good rep for your exellent post I would have been quite happy to have done so for you

Unread 10-01-2024, 04:26 PM
Jack Duckworth

One of my favourite players. Got into plenty of arguments and fights at school defending him

Unread 10-01-2024, 04:30 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
One of my favourite players. Got into plenty of arguments and fights at school defending him
“Excuse me miss, can I be excused homework tonight? Have to go to Turin, we’ve got that juventus in the cup.”

“No Duckworth, sit down. I’ve already let Cole off his.”

Unread 10-01-2024, 05:02 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
“Excuse me miss, can I be excused homework tonight? Have to go to Turin, we’ve got that juventus in the cup.”

“No Duckworth, sit down. I’ve already let Cole off his.”

Unread 10-01-2024, 10:44 PM
Dr Stranger

35+ reds will love this one

Unread 12-01-2024, 05:38 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Great link