United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-04-2020, 10:36 AM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
Great night.

Blackpool, last game at home in Div 2, belting crazy day.
Usually went in the Stretford but saw the crowds outside and bobbed in the United Road at the scoreboard just as they shut the turnstiles. Thousands locked out that day from about 1.30pm

Barca was easily the best night though. Scoreboard paddock on a gangway and was a scary surge down for the goon. With that winner and the one against Everton in the cup quarter in 83 from near the same spot Stapleton nearly gave me a couple of broken noses. Top player though

Unread 25-04-2020, 11:32 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
Usually went in the Stretford but saw the crowds outside and bobbed in the United Road at the scoreboard just as they shut the turnstiles. Thousands locked out that day from about 1.30pm

Barca was easily the best night though. Scoreboard paddock on a gangway and was a scary surge down for the goon. With that winner and the one against Everton in the cup quarter in 83 from near the same spot Stapleton nearly gave me a couple of broken noses. Top player though
Everton quarter final was immense....probably the loudest I’ve heard a goal celebrated

And credit to everton, it was the best away following I’ve seen at OT

Unread 25-04-2020, 12:32 PM
BarryX

Best for me (and granted, I'm not as time served as many on here) was United Chelsea, 2005-06 Season. It had everything to do with the context of the game:

Firstly. we were playing the current champions, Mourinho's Chelsea, unbeaten for over a year in the Premier League, at quite a critical moment early on in the season (we'd just had our second league loss of the campaign, getting stuffed at Middlesbrough, followed by another in the CL, away at Lille). It was a bit of a transitionary period and if we'd lost again, in early November, it would have been pretty much season over.

Then there's the fact that we'd just been taken over by the Glazers, fans were torn about going to the games and FC Utd had just got up and running.

On top of everything, though, Keano had just done the interview with MUTV that the club famously binned. There was a huge amount of tension between Roy - who was in the stadium - and Fergie and co. That situation had no doubt further divided fan opinion.

A combination of those factors, not least the final one, meant it felt like a bit of boiling pot. I've mentioned it before, but at one stage in the second half, the Stretty started boo-ing and whistling, which took off around the ground. It kept dying down, but whenever Chelsea got the ball, it would start up again and get even louder and more tense (hand on heart, I got it going a couple of times, which is something that will live with me til my deathbed).

At the end of the game, which we won 1-0, one of the old boys next to me said he'd felt the stand shaking when we were booing, it got that loud. His words at the time: 'never experienced an atmosphere like it'.

Proper electric.

(the boos don't feature for very long in the above, but you'll get an idea if you can't remember the game).

Unread 25-04-2020, 12:38 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
Best for me (and granted, I'm not as time served as many on here) was United Chelsea, 2005-06 Season. It had everything to do with the context of the game:

Firstly. we were playing the current champions, Mourinho's Chelsea, unbeaten for over a year in the Premier League, at quite a critical moment early on in the season (we'd just had our second league loss of the campaign, getting stuffed at Middlesbrough, followed by another in the CL, away at Lille). It was a bit of a transitionary period and if we'd lost again, in early November, it would have been pretty much season over.

Then there's the fact that we'd just been taken over by the Glazers, fans were torn about going to the games and FC Utd had just got up and running.

On top of everything, though, Keano had just done the interview with MUTV that the club famously binned. There was a huge amount of tension between Roy - who was in the stadium - and Fergie and co. That situation had no further divided fan opinion.

A combination of those factors, not least the final one, meant it felt like a bit of boiling pot. I've mentioned it before, but at one stage in the second half, the Stretty started boo-ing and whistling, which took off around the ground. It kept dying down, but whenever Chelsea got the ball, it would start up again and get even louder and more tense (hand on heart, I got it going a couple of times, which is something that will live with me til my deathbed).

At the end of the game, which we won 1-0, one of the old boys next to me said he'd felt the stand shaking when we were booing, it got that loud. His words at the time: 'never experienced an atmosphere like it'.

Proper electric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1d5ZWSlocE

(the boos don't feature for very long in the above, but you get the idea if you'll get an idea if you can't remember the game).
Great post and spot on. That’s up there for me aswell- £#%&!ing brilliant. My dad always mentions Barca ‘84 as one of the best he’s been to at OT.

Unread 25-04-2020, 01:26 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Great post and spot on. That’s up there for me aswell- £#%&!ing brilliant. My dad always mentions Barca ‘84 as one of the best he’s been to at OT.
Nice to know it's remembered so fondly by someone more in the know. It really was special

Unread 25-04-2020, 02:24 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:

On top of everything, though, Keano had just done the interview with MUTV that the club famously binned. There was a huge amount of tension between Roy - who was in the stadium - and Fergie and co. That situation had no doubt further divided fan opinion.

Proper electric.

(the boos don't feature for very long in the above, but you'll get an idea if you can't remember the game).

that doesn't feel that long ago in some respects

Unread 25-04-2020, 02:40 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
that doesn't feel that long ago in some respects
I watched the highlights before and realised it was 15 years ago

15 years before that was 1990, which to me seemed like £#%&!ing ages ago in 2005. Menkal.

Unread 25-04-2020, 03:34 PM
ryanMUFC

Remember the whistling for the final whistle against Chelsea as mentioned, it was actually deafening.

The Roma 7-1, game against Arsenal’s ‘invincible season, Barcelona 2008 and Milan 3-2 are all up there.

Always thought that Derby and Liverpool games attract a lot of big game reds and they’re not always the loudest crowds of the season.

Unread 25-04-2020, 04:44 PM
ZiggyStardust

One I remember that was in what would normally be a run of the mill game was the 2nd half at home against Blackburn in the 2006/07 season

One down at half time and not playing well but the players and crowd wouldn’t let our lead at the top slip and we ran out 4-1 winners
Huge game in the emergence of Fergie’s last great team

Great rendition of “Mourinho are you listening...”

Unread 25-04-2020, 04:52 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
One I remember that was in what would normally be a run of the mill game was the 2nd half at home against Blackburn in the 2006/07 season

One down at half time and not playing well but the players and crowd wouldn’t let our lead at the top slip and we ran out 4-1 winners
Huge game in the emergence of Fergie’s last great team

Great rendition of “Mourinho are you listening...”

Full game

Unread 25-04-2020, 05:20 PM
Mr_Ed

Beating the ‘invincibles’ back in 04 was pretty got IIRC

Unread 25-04-2020, 07:03 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
Final goal of that match was Ole's last for us.

Unread 25-04-2020, 08:05 PM
AnthonyMartial

Re that Barcelona match in 1984.

£2.70 then is £9.72 in today's money.

Unread 25-04-2020, 08:08 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMartial
Re that Barcelona match in 1984.

£2.70 then is £9.72 in today's money.

Intrigued

Unread 25-04-2020, 09:28 PM
92ToBury

I think the only one that I've not seemed mentioned among many good shouts is this one; great atmosphere, even better ending:

Unread 26-04-2020, 12:17 AM
Neo

Football

Quote:

Proper electric.

Mad to think how that side, which was a patchwork one really, with quite a few bang average squad players, a teenage Rooney, a very raw Ronaldo, and a Ruud on the way out, would in two years be the best side in the world, and arguably even better than the Treble side of 1999.

Fergie really was the master at rebuilding.

Unread 26-04-2020, 08:31 AM
Seamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Everton quarter final was immense....probably the loudest I’ve heard a goal celebrated

And credit to everton, it was the best away following I’ve seen at OT

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k-i6vhBkBUw
What year did he score the header at Anfield? Cross from Whiteside from what I can remember?

Unread 26-04-2020, 10:15 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Mad to think how that side, which was a patchwork one really, with quite a few bang average squad players, a teenage Rooney, a very raw Ronaldo, and a Ruud on the way out, would in two years be the best side in the world, and arguably even better than the Treble side of 1999.

Fergie really was the master at rebuilding.
Yup. Alan Smudger Smith FFS!!

Unread 26-04-2020, 11:53 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
What year did he score the header at Anfield? Cross from Whiteside from what I can remember?
It was the 84/85 season
Closed Thread