United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-04-2020, 12:57 AM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Stam

Assumed we were about to announce a huge centre back signing to make up for it too.
28/29 years old.

We could have had another 5 years out of him.

Unread 19-04-2020, 01:10 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
28/29 years old.

We could have had another 5 years out of him.
He took the absolute piss against us in the San Siro too when they drew us in 05 too.

Unread 19-04-2020, 02:09 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Stam

Assumed we were about to announce a huge centre back signing to make up for it too.
We had previously tried to sign Sol Campbell yet that summer he was available on a free and we didn’t even take a look. Either him or Stam and four in a row was guaranteed, both of them and we’re looking at one more Champions League at least.

Unread 19-04-2020, 02:19 AM
The taste of...

Those of us who saw him know only Eric’s departure comes close to that of Best.

They made happen for the rest

Unread 19-04-2020, 05:42 AM
shenwen

Eric

Only consolation was that he wasn't going to another club. That would have been so wrong.

Unread 19-04-2020, 06:59 AM
believe

When Eric retired I wore a black tie and black armband in work for a week I was absolutely heartbroken.

Unread 19-04-2020, 07:05 AM
rubbernecker

Was gutted when we siold Hughes to Barcelona first time and were told to be happy with Peter Davenport as his successor .

No question that Ronnie was the biggest loss to another club though

Unread 19-04-2020, 07:45 AM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
When Eric retired I wore a black tie and black armband in work for a week I was absolutely heartbroken.

Unread 19-04-2020, 08:39 AM
elhombre

In no particular order:

Stam
Eric
Ronaldo
Ince
Veron - I absolutely loved him, watched him for Lazio and was buzzing when he signed for us..

Unread 19-04-2020, 10:04 AM
shenwen

Wasn’t that bothered at the time by Ronaldo or Beckham. Both were inevitable so. It much of a surprise. I’m Ronaldo’s case thought it would be a good thing and we’d bring in some top players

Veron would be a top three of the signings I was most excited about. Not remotely arsed when he left though.

Unread 19-04-2020, 10:39 AM
tatty

I still don't understand where Veron was meant to play.

We had 4 of the best midfielders in the world already.

Unread 19-04-2020, 10:41 AM
believe

Quote:

It was during a Ferguson’s 4-5-1 years when he completely ruined the team in order to try and adapt to European football. It was a very bizarre time because like you say, we had some of the best players in the world and it felt like he had no idea what to do with them,

Unread 19-04-2020, 10:44 AM
Seamus

Whiteside

Unread 19-04-2020, 10:50 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
It was during a Ferguson’s 4-5-1 years when he completely ruined the team in order to try and adapt to European football. It was a very bizarre time because like you say, we had some of the best players in the world and it felt like he had no idea what to do with them,
I remember that spell...

I was mates with a united medic at the time, and me and her were walking around old Trafford prior to a match - can't remember which one, and she met Bojan Djordjic - who wasn't doing much at the time - and she asked what the team was going to be prior to the match. I am sure it was a European match and he told us - obviously, it was this 4-5-1 formation we'd never heard of before. Djordjic told us Fergie was absolutely convinced this 4-5-1 set up was the way forward. He looked as baffled as us.

Veron could have been brilliant for us. Couldn't believe it when we got him.

Unread 19-04-2020, 10:50 AM
Buck

What made Veron's departure even more galling was we sold him to a domestic rival. If he came good with Chelsea and proved he could dominate the PL, then it would have been a disaster. In the end he was much worse for them.

Unread 19-04-2020, 10:57 AM
Why Don?

Eric was a shock but 31 seemed old to me when I was 20.

Ronaldo really annoyed me.

Was happy to see the back of Beckham.

Unread 19-04-2020, 11:01 AM
NedKelly

As a child - Beckham. I absolutely idolised him and Giggs to the extent my bedroom was painted red with white numbers, the main two on show being 7 and 11. Was heartbroken when he left. Overall it’s Ronaldo for me. I’m too young to have fully taken in Cantona leaving etc so that was the one that had he mist impact for me I think, especially when coupled with the horrendous signings we made after.

Unread 19-04-2020, 11:05 AM
Vedder

Beckham for me, was 15 years old and he was my hero growing up.

Ronnie more recently. I still love that man

Unread 19-04-2020, 11:06 AM
jem

Quote:

um.... in a 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
Djordjic told us Fergie was absolutely convinced this 4-5-1 set up was the way forward. He looked as baffled as us.
had no clue how to play it. silly old duffer.

should never have let cole go either.

Unread 19-04-2020, 11:49 AM
windy waffles

Eric.

Don't think think anyone had any idea it was coming either.

Quote:
Stam

And we signed a 35 year old.
Closed Thread