United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-04-2020, 09:31 PM
Chris Quayd

Was watching the Welsh Cup final on S4C when they announced Eric had retired, coming of age moment. Was convinced Veron was going to come into his own with Beckham gone then a month later he was gone, gutting.

Unread 18-04-2020, 09:38 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Wish we had kept him for at least another season before putting Scholes in.

The Ince/Keane partnership was outstanding.
there are players I've liked more - agree that veron was just about to be great for us - but ince sticks out as a bad move.

Unread 18-04-2020, 09:43 PM
Pancho77

Loads over the years

Starting with Merlin when he went to Derby I was only a kid but was gutted

Lots more after

But its Eric for me I was absolutely £#%&!ing gutted he was the difference he won us that prize we had been waiting for all those years. An absolute £#%&!ing genius

Unread 18-04-2020, 09:47 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho77

But its Eric for me I was absolutely £#%&!ing gutted he was the difference he won us that prize we had been waiting for all those years. An absolute £#%&!ing genius
I wasn't seeing a drop in his performance, not that I can remember anyway, but he obviously believed he was on the wane.

My biggest regret in football is not seeing Eric and Shearer together...they'd have won the league by Christmas nqat.

Unread 18-04-2020, 09:48 PM
n48

😢 La Brujita

Could've been one of the all time greats.

Unread 18-04-2020, 09:48 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
there are players I've liked more - agree that veron was just about to be great for us - but ince sticks out as a bad move.
Stam was an obvious mistake, Ince is less obvious in hindsight because of the success we went on to have but it was no less a mistake to sell him.

Unread 18-04-2020, 09:50 PM
est.1878

Ince Hughes and kanchelskis.

Most could see coming over many months.

Weirdly untraumatised with Eric. was declining and wanted untarnished memories.plus easy to let go as retiring rather than going elsewhere.

Unread 18-04-2020, 09:50 PM
AK14

Probably Beckham

Losing Ronaldo was shit but you could see it happening for a while

Unread 18-04-2020, 09:56 PM
Pancho77

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I wasn't seeing a drop in his performance, not that I can remember anyway, but he obviously believed he was on the wane.

My biggest regret in football is not seeing Eric and Shearer together...they'd have won the league by Christmas nqat.
Definitely Eric was just something else for me. My Dad played for Preston back in the day and was big mates with Tom Finney. He always criticises modern day football and never gives out compliments. But I remember watching United on Telly with him when Eric was playing for us cant remember who we were playing but my dad was that impressed by Eric he said he was as good as Tom Finney my jaw dropped cos believe me he couldn't get a higher compliment

Unread 18-04-2020, 11:19 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

I was a 10 years old when I read in the morning paper (Mirror Reds ) that big Norm was set to join Everton that day. I felt sick to my stomach and trundled off to school feeling sick as a dog. By about 11am I couldn't take it anymore and ran out of the classroom and locked myself in the toilet cubicle, while I cried my eyes out. My teacher had to come in to console me.
At home time I legged it home and put on tele text where my worst fears were confirmed. WHITESIDE JOINS EVERTON. I cried all night and had to have the next day off school sick.
On the way out of the 99 cup final against Newcastle we saw the big man on the way out and I told him this very tale. He pissed himself but gave me a hug.

Unread 18-04-2020, 11:20 PM
Sparky***

I was gutted when kanchelskis left.... he was our top goalscorer i think in 1995 when he left.

Eric obviously... was a massive shock but after we got knocked out of the champions league by dortmund you could see he was absolutely distraught, like that was his last chance.

Unread 18-04-2020, 11:23 PM
Chorlton74

Whiteside. McGrath. Ruud. Ronnie. Robin.

Unread 18-04-2020, 11:24 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I was gutted when kanchelskis left.... he was our top goalscorer i think in 1995 when he left.

Eric obviously... was a massive shock but after we got knocked out of the champions league by dortmund you could see he was absolutely distraught, like that was his last chance.
Still think Cantona would have stayed at least another season had he not been (insanely) passed over for the French squad at Euro 96 - missing out on that genuinely devastated him.

Unread 18-04-2020, 11:25 PM
moransbleedinghead

Ronaldo, best player in the world gone and you knew those @#%&!s were just gonna pocket the cash.

Unread 18-04-2020, 11:26 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Still think Cantona would have stayed at least another season had he not been (insanely) passed over for the French squad at Euro 96 - missing out on that genuinely devastated him.
he'd burned all his bridges by that point with that lot.

calling deschamps names didn't help

Unread 18-04-2020, 11:30 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
😢 La Brujita

Could've been one of the all time greats.

Unread 18-04-2020, 11:50 PM
ryanMUFC

Tevez.

Unread 19-04-2020, 12:04 AM
Neo

Thumbs down

Beckham and Ronaldo.

Hated watching La Liga on Sky and watching our two magnificent bastards playing for those @#%&!s.

Unread 19-04-2020, 12:23 AM
rogieop

I know he never really left but for me its the retirement of Carrick. He was the final link between the United i grew up with and what we have now. He was the carryover from the old guard to the new guard. He mixed it with Rio and
Vidic, Ronaldo, etc from the early noughties and was there as we moved into the tens. I know there were others around like Rooney and De Gea but i never trusted them. I always trusted Carrick, and he was £#%&!ing brilliant for us.

Unread 19-04-2020, 12:46 AM
Stickman

Stam

Assumed we were about to announce a huge centre back signing to make up for it too.
Closed Thread