United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Amish Mash

Not sure of timeline but didn't Fergie visit him in NY to sound him out about taking over and he didn't fancy it choosing Munich instead?

Unread 05-12-2017, 07:20 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
So our dreadful group of players working under our terrible previous manager managed to finish level on points with the absolute tap-in of a squad Guardiola inherited? Seems inconsistent tbh. Reality is City had loads of dross to shift, hence the departure of 20 odd players in 18 months.

Guardiola took over an underachieving Barca and quickly made the best side in their history. I realise Mou chose the challenge of plucky little Real Madrid around the same time so he gets the moral high ground, but the quality of football played by Guardiola’s sides is about him more than it is money. Otherwise after another £300m we’d be closer to them in that respect.

By the way, United didn’t approach Guardiola. People close to him believe he would have preferred to come here. But we were set on the LvG to Giggs succession, and then were seduced by Mourinho. We will never know if Guardiola would have come here. Those in his circle believe he would. If that’s the case, Woodward should be killed.
Who said it was an 'absolute tap in of a squad' (what ever that means?)...

As I said, multiple times, they had a very good group of players with arguably some of the best players in the league. He was then able to make sweeping changes to the squad over three windows because he hasn't had the limitations Mourinho has had, building around the core group of players who are still the best players at the club

Barca had some incredible players at the time and were about to blow up at any moment. He implemented his philosophy well, obviously and the rest is history. As I've said, he's clearly a good manager. But to make out he's some sort of messiah is ridiculous.

When you say 'people close to him' you're referring to yourself and your group of total football fan boys?

I don't believe for one minute the plan all along, even before Van Gaal to united, was that Guardiola would rock up at city. They were building towards that for years

Also in regards to Mou to Madrid, what ever. But the fact is Mou has won things when he's been underdog, when he's had above average players and not necessarily the best. He's taken on challenges, Pep hasn't, he's walked into clubs where failure SHOULD be impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Mash
Not sure of timeline but didn't Fergie visit him in NY to sound him out about taking over and he didn't fancy it choosing Munich instead?
Iirc they didn't meet up for some reason or something was said about Guardiola not being able to understand Fergie

Unread 05-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

As I said, multiple times, they had a very good group of players with arguably some of the best players in the league. He was then able to make sweeping changes to the squad over three windows because he hasn't had the limitations Mourinho has had, building around the core group of players who are still the best players at the club

Barca had some incredible players at the time and were about to blow up at any moment. He implemented his philosophy well, obviously and the rest is history. As I've said, he's clearly a good manager. But to make out he's some sort of messiah is ridiculous.

When you say 'people close to him' you're referring to yourself and your group of total football fan boys?

I don't believe for one minute the plan all along, even before Van Gaal to united, was that Guardiola would rock up at city. They were building towards that for years

Also in regards to Mou to Madrid, what ever. But the fact is Mou has won things when he's been underdog, when he's had above average players and not necessarily the best. He's taken on challenges, Pep hasn't, he's walked into clubs where failure SHOULD be impossible.

Iirc they didn't meet up for some reason or something was said about Guardiola not being able to understand Fergie
Making it up as he goes along

Unread 05-12-2017, 07:55 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Mourinho hasn’t managed an underdog since he left Leiria ffs He has consistently chosen jobs with the biggest budgets in the league, which includes Madrid who outspent Barca during his time there. He went to Inter when Italian football was otherwise desolate ffs. Easily comparable to Bayern at the time.

As for Guardiola to United, you don’t know what he was thinking. Neither do I. Clearly City always wanted him and worked on it for years. But the suggestion from his camp has been that he’d have preferred United. There were even leaks to the Barca media a few months before he took the City job suggesting he’d be open to a call from United.

If that’s true - and none of us know if it is - then it’s a huge oversight on our part. Following a like minded manager in LvG would have suited him far more than City, where he lost a season having to tear the place upside down.

Unread 05-12-2017, 07:58 PM
AK14

Red face

Quote:
Mourinho hasn’t managed an underdog since he left Leiria ffs He has consistently chosen jobs with the biggest budgets in the league, which includes Madrid who outspent Barca during his time there. He went to Inter when Italian football was otherwise desolate ffs. Easily comparable to Bayern at the time.

As for Guardiola to United, you don’t know what he was thinking. Neither do I. Clearly City always wanted him and worked on it for years. But the suggestion from his camp has been that he’d have preferred United. There were even leaks to the Barca media a few months before he took the City job suggesting he’d be open to a call from United.

If that’s true - and none of us know if it is - then it’s a huge oversight on our part. Following a like minded manager in LvG would have suited him far more than City, where he lost a season having to tear the place upside down.
United are playing pal...

Unread 05-12-2017, 08:05 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
United are playing pal...
And I’m on a train.

You’re browsing threads. Maybe watch the game pal?

Unread 05-12-2017, 08:06 PM
The Stella Fella

With the players he has got/bought even Pure could manage the Bitters into the top 4!

Could Pep keep Palace etc up in a dog fight? Could he £#%&!!

Unread 05-12-2017, 08:06 PM
AK14

Thumbs up

Quote:
And I’m on a train.

You’re browsing threads. Maybe watch the game pal?
Stoppage in play pal and I don't believe you've left your house for a few days the amount you've posted on here

Unread 05-12-2017, 08:10 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Stoppage in play pal and I don't believe you've left your house for a few days the amount you've posted on here
Hadn’t posted all day tbf. Happy to see Neo on job though

Unread 05-12-2017, 08:11 PM
AK14

Quote:
Hadn’t posted all day tbf. Happy to see Neo on job though
We all need sleep pal, even you.

Unread 05-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Neo

Quote:
We all need sleep pal, even you.
Just read a MNiK post. A £#%&!ing cure for insomina, that @#%&!.

Unread 05-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Just read a MNiK post. A £#%&!ing cure for insomina, that @#%&!.

Have a look at War and Peace above you pal. Half of it just made up shit.

Unread 05-12-2017, 08:46 PM
AK14

Quote:

Half time so I thought I'd give this a read...

Stopped when you said Inter when Mou took over were 'easily comparable to Bayern' at the time Guardiola took over

Bayern had just won the European cup you crack pot

Unread 05-12-2017, 08:55 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Half time so I thought I'd give this a read...

Stopped when you said Inter when Mou took over were 'easily comparable to Bayern' at the time Guardiola took over

Bayern had just won the European cup you crack pot
In terms of, as I said, Italian football being otherwise desolate and therefore it being a one team league. Thus comparable to Bayern in Germany.

Jesus

Hope there isn’t another break in play soon

Unread 05-12-2017, 08:56 PM
AK14

Quote:
In terms of, as I said, Italian football being otherwise desolate and therefore it being a one team league.

Jesus

Hope there isn’t another break in play soon
You wouldn't know as you're on a train

Unread 05-12-2017, 08:58 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
You wouldn't know as you're on a train
I’ll know because I’ll get another absolute mess of a post from you, fella.

Bus now btw.

Unread 05-12-2017, 08:59 PM
AK14

Quote:
I’ll know because I’ll get another absolute mess of a post from you, fella.

Bus now btw.

Safe (pretend) journey pal.

Unread 05-12-2017, 09:03 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Safe (pretend) journey pal.
Poor game?

Unread 05-12-2017, 09:03 PM
AK14

Quote: