United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Switching Off

Default Yaya Toure and Jack Rodwell

Paper talk no doubt.

Quote:
Manchester United are preparing a £25million raid on Barcelona for midfielder Yaya Toure.

Sir Alex Ferguson has targeted the 26-year-old Ivory Coast international as fears grow about Owen Hargreaves's ability to overcome the patellar tendinitis problems that have plagued his Old Trafford career.

Barcelona have already targeted Liverpool's Javier Mascherano to replace Toure in their engine room.

And if Rafa Benitez's resistance to selling the Argentina captain can be broken United will be encouraged to bid for Toure. Ferguson became aware that he needs to add a physical presence to his midfield during the Champions League capitulation to Barcelona in Rome.

Hargreaves was signed from Bayern Munich for £17m two years ago to fill a void that had existed since Roy Keane left.

But the England international, 28, has made just 37 appearances for the Reds.
Quote:
Manchester United are reportedly ready to make a bid for Everton youngster Jack Rodwell, according to The People.

The 18-year-old defender has been impressing since he broke into the Everton first team last season, and is currently on international duty with the England Under-21 squad at the Under-21 European Championships in Sweden, where the Young Lions have booked a place in Monday's final.

The young defender has surprised everyone with his cool head and ability to slot into the first team at Goodison Park and with the injuries that the Toffees suffered last season, Rodwell eased them with his solid performances.

Now it appears the youngster has attracted the attention of a 'top four' team in Manchester United.

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson is keen to bolster his squad as they prepare to defend their league title again next season, and it is believed that Ferguson is keen to sign the young Evertonian.

With FIFA trying to push through its '6+5' rule for the Champions League, United may have to field six players eligible for the national team, and Ferguson is keen to sign up the young defender.

Rodwell was given his chance in the Everton Under-18s aged just 14, and has gone on to make 21 league appearances for the first team without scoring.

Unread 28-06-2009, 04:41 PM
RedMenace

Hasn't Toure just signed a new contract last week?. Everton would want £20m for Rodwell probably. Don't see either of them coming.

Unread 28-06-2009, 05:09 PM
dunk

Not arsed about Toure. Would love us to sign Rodwell.

Unread 28-06-2009, 05:10 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Hasn't Toure just signed a new contract last week?. Everton would want £20m for Rodwell probably. Don't see either of them coming.
£20m? How long did it take for you to make that figure up?

Unread 28-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Part 36 Offer

Like the look of Rodwell but Toure can gtf to £#%&!.

Unread 28-06-2009, 05:14 PM
RedMenace

Not long. I didn't say they do want £20m or that he's worth £20m but if we came in for him they'd be so outraged at the thoughts of selling him they'd try and name a big price. He's young, highly rated and English. Plus they know we can afford it.

Unread 28-06-2009, 05:15 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Not long. I didn't say they do want £20m or that he's worth £20m but if we came in for him they'd be so outraged at the thoughts of selling him they'd try and name a big price. He's young, highly rated and English. Plus they know we can afford it.
Yes, I agree but if clubs start whacking £20m price tags on 17 year olds that are largely unproven, then the game is £#%&!ed.

He's worth an enquiry but I wouldn't want us to go above 6m

Unread 28-06-2009, 05:19 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Yes, I agree but if clubs start whacking £20m price tags on 17 year olds that are largely unproven, the the game is £#%&!ed.

He's worth an enquiry but I wouldn't want us to go above 6m
I agree, but that is a touch optimistic.

£17m is the new £8m after all.

Unread 28-06-2009, 05:20 PM
RedMenace

I agree but there's so many average players going for ridiculous sums of money, £6m would barely get you a good Championship player at the moment.

Unread 28-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Switching Off

I'd take Rodwell. I'd also take Toure for single figures but wouldn't wanna be paying silly money for him.

Unread 28-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
I agree but there's so many average players going for ridiculous sums of money, £6m would barely get you a good Championship player at the moment.
Michael Owen

Unread 28-06-2009, 05:25 PM
RedMenace

There's a reason Stoke and Hull are the front runners for him.

Unread 28-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
There's a reason Stoke and Hull are the front runners for him.
Planning for relegation

Unread 28-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Withers

I would take them both. The transfer fee is irrelevent to me.

Unread 28-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Ferguson became aware that he needs to add a physical presence to his midfield during the Champions League [final]
yes that was the first time he'd noticed

Unread 28-06-2009, 11:21 PM
marlo

fergie should step down if he buys a defender this summer.

Unread 28-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
Both are predominantly midfielders.

You've become very anti-Fergie in recent months marlo.

Unread 28-06-2009, 11:27 PM
dunk

Quote:
Erm, Marlo, they are both midfielders. And Fergie will buy what he decides is required, you have no business saying what he should do.

Unread 28-06-2009, 11:29 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Both are predominantly midfielders.

You've become very anti-Fergie in recent months marlo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Erm, Marlo, they are both midfielders. And Fergie will buy what he decides is required, you have no business saying what he should do.

One of the Marlo's has only ever heard of Kolo Toure.
Closed Thread