United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:16 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
why do you care, it's not like any of your money's going towards it

like i've said before - we were only ever going to sign one player, it was always going to be Berbatov and it's better to get our man than for the sake of £5m take the high ground and say 'hes not worth that'

people said the same about carrick (an extortionate amount at the time for a player like carrick) but nobody mentions that after a few titles and europe
At tht time, I couldn't believe the Carrick-doubters.

I think the same will happen with Berbatov.He'll be a big player for us.

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:17 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
i just hope we will still have enough to sign tevez next summer and replace ronaldo.

hope no one refutes the buying the title line when we spend 31m on berbatov.
I think if Ronaldo does go, we won't have to worry about having the cash for a replacement.

If the Ronaldo cash goes directly on transfers, that is.

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:18 AM
BarryX

Thumbs up

Great bit of news. Clearly City's bid was serious and forced the price up at the last minute - good to see we went the extra yard (in hindsight) and got Fergie's target...potentially one of his last major signings as United manager...City with Robihno and Berbie would have been a very hard pill to swallow this morning, thats for sure.

As I have mentioned a while back Berbatov was doing some commentary on Bulgarian TV, around 18 months ago, for a United CL game. He was saying back then how Old Trafford is the best stadium he has ever been too, how the fans there are amazing, creating the best atmosphere. The lad's got taste, I'll give him that, and so what if I am a hypocrite, I loved the way he himself engineered this dream move to us. £#%&! me if I wouldn't have done the same thing if United wanted to sign for me. I am made up for him....

Come on you Scouse @#%&!s. Lets see some payback for Michael Shields.

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Thiago

Happy it got done.

Who cares if we had to pay an extra 3 or 4 mill, it's our only signing and only necessary one. Better than to miss out.

He will be great for us.

Viva Berbaaa.

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:42 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiago
He will be great for us
cheers for that nostradamus

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:43 AM
tatty

Great buy at £20m, flipping awful at £30m+.

And besides, he isn't the sort of striker we need.

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:44 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty

Lets just wait and see eh?

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:45 AM
fergieslovechild

I think Fergie has played a blinder in all of this, the financial aspects of the deal are out of his control market forces and all that.

But he is one of the main draws to United for Berbie so what does the Modern footballing legend do to ensure the signing goes through.....he only picks him up from the airport and then man marks him all afternoon.....

As well as that he forces Spurs to drop their complaint.

Plus he loans out one of our future prospects to lets face it a decent club with a decent set up and coach who are going to play in Europe, he can only benefit from from that (or not) either way we take him back or offload.

A couple of my mates were going down the old road e-mailing me a load of 'anti-Fergie' shite yesterday afternoon when it looked like city had hyjacked the deal but Fergie was just too good for them.

You may have Billions and Squillions you blue @#%&!s but you don't have Fergie....

Fergie = Legend!

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Thiago

Quote:
Doesn't make sense mate.

He was our top target all summer and the only big incoming player. Get him at all costs.

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:46 AM
marlo stansfield

Quote:

ending up paying 31m for a player who wanted to join us.

great business.

how much would benzema cost?

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Tiberian

Working the night shift at the moment so headed off to work last night uncertain of how it would turn out.

If I am truthful I hoped especially with the cost bandied about that it would all fall apart. However I can not deny the traitorous surge of excitement I felt when i heard the news, even if it was dampened by the quite ridiculous fee we are paying.

He is an exceptional talent, can function as the target man, but also very adept at playing the link role. In his flexibility he fits in well with the rest of the current squad. I have always questioned his attitude, it is up to Berbatov to show that he can adapt to the pressure of playing for a major club with the expectations it brings.

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Thiago

Quote:

great business.

£50m.

Seriously.

And I would have said that even before the Berbs deal.

Lyon like Spurs are no mugs and usually get the best possible deal for their players.

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:48 AM
hopkins

If he ends up costing us £31m then brilliant, cus that'll be for winning the league and europe etc. All our deals now seem to include these bonuses with less initial money upfront, but the press choose to report the final figure, like they did with Carrick

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Crumps

Thumbs up

Never my choice for a signing but now he plays for us he has my full backing.

Welcome to Old Trafford Berba. None of that sulking round not arsed shit thank you very much and we'll get along fine.

For the first time in £#%&!ing ages we have some proper options when it comes to forwards. I just hope Berbie doesn't mind being overshadowed by Mannyucho.

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
If I am truthful I hoped especially with the cost bandied about that it would all fall apart. However I can not deny the traitorous surge of excitement I felt when i heard the news, even if it was dampened by the quite ridiculous fee we are paying.

He is an exceptional talent, can function as the target man, but also very adept at playing the link role. In his flexibility he fits in well with the rest of the current squad. I have always questioned his attitude, it is up to Berbatov to show that he can adapt to the pressure of playing for a major club with the expectations it brings.
Pretty much sums up my feelings as well, apart from the night shift part, that is. Love the phrase "traitorous surge of excitement" too. Top class

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Thiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins
If he ends up costing us £31m then brilliant, cus that'll be for winning the league and europe etc. All our deals now seem to include these bonuses with less initial money upfront, but the press choose to report the final figure, like they did with Carrick
Exactly hopkins, how any red can be anything but satisified or very happy at this deal I could possibly not comprehend.

Unread 02-09-2008, 07:55 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:

great business.

Benzema doesn't want to join us and even if we offered 35m, it wouldn't have been enough to convince Aulas.No way.

Unread 02-09-2008, 08:27 AM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up

We have overpaid for him but in the end who gives a shit? We've got a top class player who's scored 23 goals in both his saesons at Spurs and has added 15+ assists to that too. I'm not gonna be watching a transfer fee on the pitch, I'm gonna be watching a fantastic player. If you aren't looking forwartd to watching him run out at Anfield then you really wanna take up summat else instead of supporting United imo. Great news! Campbell going to Spurs for a year may also turn out to be a masterstroke.

Unread 02-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Zorg

He is, in my opinion, exactly what United need. At the moment there are enough blood and guts players (Tevez, Rooney) and not enough guile up front.

Plus he's scored 23 goals in each of his 2 seasons here and his record before that in Germany was superb too.

All this 'smacked arse' stuff - if there's one man who can sort that out it's Fergie.

Unread 02-09-2008, 08:40 AM
TheNew

Absolutely delighted that he's finally signed. Not looked forward to seeing a layer in a United shirt this much in a long, long time.

As previously mentioned, Fergie did a great job shadowing him accross Manchester yesterday.

I like to think of Berbs giving a nice big V sign to City as well.

As if he was ever likely to go there!!! Some of the panic on here yesterday afternoon was embarassing!
Closed Thread