United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I remember when there was a serious "Reo Coker for United" movement.
Kezman!

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:01 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Kezman!
Arf!

I remember after Chelsea had signed him and he scored at Oxford in a friendly.Chelsea had spent big that summer too.I went on a Chelsea forum and an Oxford fan was commenting on Kezman looking quite good.The Chelsea fan just posted:

"He's the signing of the season mate.Watch this space."

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:01 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Kezman!
"He is better than van Nistelrooy"

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:06 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
they had a very interesting feature in the m.e.n today about fergies striking options, couple of argentinians mentioned as well as wellbeck, manucho etc. the only other striker linked was the hunter.
Who were they, by the way?

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:09 AM
shadowplay

Quote:

Has made more tackles than anyone else in the league this season.
Fact.
Bar Ashely Cole.

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:14 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Bar Ashely Cole.
I'd love to.

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Serenity Now

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:17 AM
shadowplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I'd love to.
3sum?

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:18 AM
S/Side.Red

Default *Shudder*

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Serenity Now

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:27 AM
JakeB

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Who were they, by the way?
aguero is one

Quote:
THE Premier League trophy is on the brink of being packaged and stamped: `Property of Manchester United' in readiness for delivery to Old Trafford again.

But even while preparations are being put in place to salute United, Sir Alex Ferguson is already planning ahead for next season's effort to win it three times on the trot.

"I don't need to spend, but I will," he has said.

"I think there is an area where we are short and we can stock up on that a bit."

There seems little doubt that the area Ferguson believes is lightweight is the striker's department. The United manager pioneered the luxury of four senior forwards in the late 90s when he gelled the Treble winning quartet of Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, Ole Solskjaer and Teddy Sheringham.

But this season he has effectively plotted a route through the campaign with one man short in his forward unit.

So who might be on United's radar?

KLAAS JAN HUNTELAAR

Ajax’s 24-year-old Dutch hitman is one of the most prolific goalscorers on the continent this season. He is second behind Cristiano Ronaldo in the race to be Europe’s Golden Shoe winner as the number one scorer. Huntelaar has scored 32 goals in the Dutch League this term but on the points system adopted in the Golden Shoe awards Ronaldo’s 27 League goals in the tougher English game give him a higher overall score. Ajax know they face a difficult summer attempting to keep hold of their predator with Europe’s elite monitoring his game in Holland. His suitors will no doubt be wanting to secure his signature before Euro 2008 in case his value soars during the tournament. Only drawback for the Reds might be that he is a scorer in the Rued van Nistelrooy mould and United’s weren’t as successful silverware-wise with their former prolific Dutchman as they have been without him.

KARIM BENZEMA

The 20-year-old French striker confirmed his clinical finishing ability when he scored against United for Lyon in France in the Champions League. Strong, powerful skilful he turned and found a way past both Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic in the last 16 match in the Stade Gerland. Likened by French soccer luminaries to Zinedine Zidane he is one of the most sought after young forwards around. Though he has pledged next season to Lyon any club prepared to pay upwards of £25m could persuade their hierarchy to cash in. He is just the right age to fit in with Fergie’s young group of Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney, Anderson and Nani.

LISANDRO LOPEZ

One who could come further down the pyramid of targets if the top names cannot be acquired. The 25-year-old Argentinian has been scoring prolifically in the Portuguese League for Porto this term. Has 22 goals in 24 outings in Superliga this season. Big and powerful he could provide the different option that Fergie has always wanted but hasn’t been able to call on too often with Saha. United have good relationships with Porto having bought Nani from the Portuguese club last summer for £19m. Sir Alex’s assistant Carlos Queiroz is certain to have monitored his recent surge in progress.

SERGIO AGUERO

The South American 19-year-old was the youngest ever player to play in the Argentine League when he was 15 beating the record held by Diego Maradona. Was the star for Argentina of the 2007 FIFA Under 20s World Cup. He won the Golden Boot as top scorer with six in the finals and the Golden Ball as Player of the Tournament. Is currently playing for Atletico Madrid and is the Spanish club’s record signing having lured him from Independiente for £17m in 2006.

United also have their own assets

DANNY WELBECK

The Mancunian has been promoted to the senior squad this season by Sir Alex Ferguson such have been his goalscoring exploits in the reserves. He is only 17 but Sir Alex thinks extremely highly of the attacker whom he compares to Portsmouth’s former Arsenal striker Kanu. The Reds haven’t groomed one of their own forward products for regular first team duty since Mark Hughes made the breakthrough in the 1980s. But Welbeck has the ability and temperament to end that famine.

FRAZIER CAMPBELL

The 20-year-old United Academy striker has been a star for Hull City on loan this season in the championships. Has scored 14 goals in 30 appearances for the Tigers to become top scorer for the Yorkshire club and put them in a strong promotion play off place. Hull boss Phil Brown would love him to stay and make the move permanent next season. His chairman Phil Duffen says Hull have to be in the Premier League if they hope to buy him off the Reds as “he’s too good for the championship“. United, however, are more than likely to bring him back to Old Trafford.

MANUCHO

The big 25-year-old Angolan signed for the Reds in January and then was a huge hit for his county in the African Cup of Nations where he was voted in the tournament’s best XI after scoring some wonder goals. Has a three-year Old Trafford deal after impressing in a trial from Petro Atletico. He is currently on loan at Panathinaikos in Greece but Ferguson expects him to challenge in the Reds senior squad next season.

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Serenity Now

In fairness, I don't remember anyone calling for us to sign him. I just thought it would be keeping with the spirit of the thread.

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:36 AM
JakeB

Imagine a pool of strikers that consisted of Rooney, Tevez, and Aguero..

Might reach one of the cougars crosses if they stand on each other shoulders.

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:36 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

In fairness, I don't remember anyone calling for us to sign him. I just thought it would be keeping with the spirit of the thread.
One of the very worst players I have ever seen at the top level.

I remember when he was being linked with a big money move to West Ham to replace Tevez. I was desperate for it to be true, as predictably hilarious consequences would have followed.

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:37 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB
Don't do it to me. Aguero at United would just be too much.

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:39 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:

Might reach one of the cougars crosses if they stand on each other shoulders.
Believe it or not, El Kun has actually scored 5 goals from headers this season in La Liga, the same number as Luis Fabiano. Only Edu at Betis has scored more (8).

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:42 AM
JakeB

Quote:
Believe it or not, El Kun has actually scored 5 goals from headers this season in La Liga, the same number as Luis Fabiano. Only Edu at Betis has scored more (8).
Come to think of it, the cougar would be able to pick him out, regardless of height.

Anyway..

Not much wrong with old Senna, but I cant imagine getting too enthusiastic about him signing for us these days.

Imagine that, we could have had Senna and Reo-Coker signed rather than Anderson and Carrick.

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:42 AM
S/Side.Red

Serenity, don't you think Edu is far too good for Betis?

Someone has to be picking him up this summer.

Unread 17-04-2008, 01:49 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Come to think of it, the cougar would be able to pick him out, regardless of height.

Anyway..

Not much wrong with old Senna, but I cant imagine getting too enthusiastic about him signing for us these days.

Imagine that, we could have had Senna and Reo-Coker signed rather than Anderson and Carrick.
What happened with that one? Everyone seemed to think he was coming. I remember Riquelme even publicly wishing Senna good luck at United and saying he deserved the move. Then it seemed to just collapse with little explanation.
Closed Thread