United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Terry Silver

Default Signings you've been wrong about

Personally, I thought Carrick was going to be average at best, and the first few performances of Evra and Vidic didn't fill me with confidence either.

On the other hand, I thought Veron was going to win us the European Cup.

Unread 19-04-2008, 10:41 AM
edwin

Gary Pallister. Hated the facrt he had replaced McGrath, and he looked very dodgy in his first few games.

Unread 19-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Terry Silver

I remember Schmiechel looking a bit dodgy in his first few games.

Dropped a clanger at home to Leeds if memory serves me correctly.

Unread 19-04-2008, 10:46 AM
denis lawless

Dwight York....didnt want him....said i'd show my arse on the townhall steps if he was gonna be any good

(May 27th 1999...my arse made a guest appearance on said steps )

although he turn shit pretty soon after that

Unread 19-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
Dwight York....didnt want him....said i'd show my arse on the townhall steps if he was gonna be any good

With you on that one.

The signing also gave Sheringham the kick up the arse he'd needed the latter half of 1997/98.

Unread 19-04-2008, 10:57 AM
mark o

Seconded on Pallister, on first sight he looked like a lanky streak of piss with no footballing talent. If I remember rightly (my memory isn't my stongest point) he gave away a penalty on his debut and was at fault for a second; possibly against Norwich City.

Unread 19-04-2008, 11:43 AM
thee mighty ceaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless

He had one more good season the season after and then his head totally went. Scored 20 league goals I think in 1999/2000 and then he just didn't wanna know which was quite sad considering how good he was

Unread 19-04-2008, 11:45 AM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Ralphie.

Thought he'd be a fantastic signing, sadly he was below average

Unread 19-04-2008, 11:46 AM
keano's love

vidic, veron, evra, Ruud

the main ones.

Unread 19-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Mr_Ed

Thought Jordi Cruyff was going to be better than he was... and Poborsky.

Unread 19-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Rossobianchi

Klerberson

Unread 19-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Rhodzy

VDS

I remember when Vidic and Evra signed and the vast majority said we didn't need them.

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Coracao

Djemba djemba actually looked good in pre-season

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Tumescent Throb

Torres - i thought he was heading for United.

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Spiffy

I was pissed off about Cantona but only because he was French and from Leeds. Within a month he'd won me round but I was still expecting him to stop being so good, he didn't. He's our best signing ever for me.

I didn't want Yorke, I thought he'd be OK but never worth £12.6M. I know this is controversial but I think I was proved right. Yorke joined a strong team at the right time imho. People say his attitude was wrong but I don't think he was ever cut out to play for United.

I didn't want Veron but when signed I thought he was class and the only person who could have replaced Eric. I should have stuck with my gut feel. I still think we should have gone all out and paid an extra £20M for Zidane, even if it had meant not signing Ruud. That was what I wanted at the time.

I didn't expect Vidic or Evra to do well at all, I'd never heard of them and it seemed we'd lost the touch of unearthing good players no one else was in for, the last one I can think of was Solskjaer. We do well in big signings but these were pleasant surprises.

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:29 PM
chorleyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark o
Seconded on Pallister, on first sight he looked like a lanky streak of piss with no footballing talent. If I remember rightly (my memory isn't my stongest point) he gave away a penalty on his debut and was at fault for a second; possibly against Norwich City.

I went that night, didn't he score an own goal? and yes it was norwich

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default Apart from the success...

Yorke was a sensation at United: he scored goals, played with energy and exuberance, brought the best out of Cole who he enjoyed the best strike partnership the club's probably ever had with, and put a smile on everyone's face. An absolute snip of a price at £12.6m.

Unread 19-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Rhodzy

Yorke was fantastic.

Unread 19-04-2008, 02:27 PM
marlo stansfield

none tbh.

always spot on about all of them.

Unread 19-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
none tbh.

always spot on about all of them.
Apart from Carrick who you derided as shit in a campaign of relentless posts for about 6mths.

But apart from that...
Closed Thread