United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Ruud, is he a legend?
Yes 30 55.56%
No 24 44.44%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:10 PM
BarryX

Ruud, in my book, was a great goalscorer, probably the best I have seen in my lifetime. In my opinion, though, he is also a bit of a #@&%! who has been reported as saying some pretty stupid things (i.e Ronaldo's Dad, when he he left some shit about the club). He showed no balls against the arse too, which was embarrasing.

Legends are players lie Ole, Captain Marvel, and above anyone else Eric. Legends are players with character, fight, class and honour. No matter how good Ruud was at putting the ball in the net, he did not have these traits. I am actually glad that he left when he did...I'd rather have Tevez than him any day of the week.

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Best centre forward i have seen at old trafford and carried the side when the midfield became £#%&!ed and Fergie's senile years.

Whenever his name comes up on here it seems to spark vitriol from the same people each time. A shame how his time came to an end really.
Can you spot the link?

For me, when people talk about Ferguson losing the plot they are actually talking about the transition of Manchester United, both in terms of personnel and in terms of the team's progression from virtual one trick ponies to having a whole box of tactical tricks to call on almost at will.

But of course, we didn't win all the time and people didn't understand what they were watching. Eventually though, all the players who couldn't hack it fell by the wayside, a bunch of more open-minded and adaptable talent took their places, and United got back on the road to greatness.

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Can you spot the link?

For me, when people talk about Ferguson losing the plot they are actually talking about the transition of Manchester United, both in terms of personnel and in terms of the team's progression from virtual one trick ponies to having a whole box of tactical tricks to call on almost at will.

But of course, we didn't win all the time and people didn't understand what they were watching. Eventually though, all the players who couldn't hack it fell by the wayside, a bunch of more open-minded and adaptable talent took their places, and United got back on the road to greatness.
No, i'm talking about:

Djemb-Djemba, replacing Stam with Blanc, Liam Miller, Kleberson, David Bellion...

I.e. a series of shocking decisions in the transfer market.

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xksPHkYa5iY
i would have caught keown by his neck on his way down....

they did that at ot as well. £#%&!ing hell.
I don't know why or how the £#%&! anyone would let people do that to them in that situation. Andy Cole would have punched Keown in the throat then @#%&!ted the others with a couple of well placed roundhouses. Probably would have scored the penalty too (even though he never relied on them to bulk up his scoring stats)

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:30 PM
thatsfuctit

Goal machine - what i dreamed of United having for all those years.

But when he got injured over that Xmas period (the first time Milan knocked us out) it occured to me that we looked a better team without him in the team.

Sounded like there was a fair old ego about him too.

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:32 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Can you spot the link?

He ( Ferie ) genuinely didn't seem to know what to do with the midfield for a few years though - that wasn't transition.

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:37 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
Goal machine - what i dreamed of United having for all those years.

But when he got injured over that Xmas period (the first time Milan knocked us out) it occured to me that we looked a better team without him in the team.

Sounded like there was a fair old ego about him too.
Yes...funny that, I'd allways wanted to see a player like that lead our attack. Of course it was great to see him banging them in, but let's face it, not many of his goals (despite their importance) were sexy or spectacular. It was case of get the ball in to Ruud 'in the box' and he'll find a way to put it in (and if you didn't get it to him in the box he would get pissed off).

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Andy Cole would have punched Keown in the throat then @#%&!ted the others with a couple of well placed roundhouses.
Yep, Andy Cole that renowned hardman

He would have been too busy making sure people were saying his name correctly.

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
No, i'm talking about:

Djemb-Djemba, replacing Stam with Blanc, Liam Miller, Kleberson, David Bellion...

I.e. a series of shocking decisions in the transfer market.
Selling Stam wasn't a shocking decision. Nor was signing Blanc. Miller was free and seemed promising at Celtic, Djemba looked good at the start and Kleberson was a class footballer with personal issues. Bellion? Fair enough, a gamble that never looked like working. Veron? A class act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
He ( Ferie ) genuinely didn't seem to know what to do with the midfield for a few years though - that wasn't transition.
It was transition though - that's exactly what it was. Even this season people have been questioning why the £#%&! this midfielder or that one is in or out of the team, saying we should have a first choice midfield and all the rest of it. It's all rubbish, imo. What we have now that we didn't have with the previous collection is a group who are all playing for each other, and more importantly, who all have confidence in each other. And Fletcher is still at United.

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Ether

Quote:
Selling Stam wasn't a shocking decision. Nor was signing Blanc. Miller was free and seemed promising at Celtic, Djemba looked good at the start and Kleberson was a class footballer with personal issues.
KING WUM

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
KING WUM
i leave wumming to you pesky kids

Unread 19-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Rossobianchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xksPHkYa5iY
i would have caught keown by his neck on his way down....

they did that at ot as well. £#%&!ing hell.
Tyler " You don't want to see it but you can understand it" Why because he plays for man united you @#%&!!

Ahh fortune a real hardman.

Unread 19-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Luffy

people moan about fegie's transfer exploits such as kleb, djdj and so on, but you have to remember the times and the situation. I've said this before, but at the time we had a midfield which was undroppable. I remember wondering who I would buy if I was fergie and I was stumped.

he didnt have players of equal stature and adaptable experience/ability he could rotate according to the situation like we have now. he had a midfield and players who wuold alway sbe considered the best choice in any situation. all Fergie could do was sign backups to beef up the squad and ideally he wanted a bunch of blomqvists or fortunes who could fill in when called upon.

The one time Fergie did buy a player of equal stature, he found they were still undroppable and tried to play all of them at once - which is understandable. If you had kaka, rooney, ronaldinho, messi and ronaldo you would be sorely tempted to play them all at once - probably to your detriment. but if you were sat with those weapons at your disposal and wanted to build a team to win a match on any given day, its all too easy to try and chuck them in.

the other end of the stick is you cannot buy a rival or equal for someone like scholes or keane and have them sit on the bench. they wont hit their stride, you'd have wasted millions and they'd become unsettled.

fergie's attempts to buy a bunch of ole's didnt pay off so he started again.

Unread 19-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Enjoying Insanity

Quote:
Selling Stam wasn't a shocking decision. Nor was signing Blanc. Miller was free and seemed promising at Celtic, Djemba looked good at the start and Kleberson was a class footballer with personal issues. Bellion? Fair enough, a gamble that never looked like working. Veron? A class act.

It was transition though - that's exactly what it was. Even this season people have been questioning why the £#%&! this midfielder or that one is in or out of the team, saying we should have a first choice midfield and all the rest of it. It's all rubbish, imo. What we have now that we didn't have with the previous collection is a group who are all playing for each other, and more importantly, who all have confidence in each other. And Fletcher is still at United.
That's complete and utter %@#$&!s.

Even the staunchist defender of SAF has to admit that Fergie "took his eye off the ball" for a couple of seasons, and was concentrating far more on "extra-curricular" activities such as Rock Of Gibraltar etc
Closed Thread