United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 27-12-2023, 09:45 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Fantastic second half. For once played like a team that wanted to win. The difference in having an actual midfielder in there. And a right winger who wants to attack at all times. Bruno brilliant. Rashford playing football Thought Hojlund had a poor game until the game but hopefully he kicks on now.

Trying not to get too excited as we've been here before. Really need some consistency now. Play like that every week and top 4 should be no problem.
We played well towards the end of the first half too. After the two goals, we were very good. Sloppy up front, but we were constant threat.

Unread 27-12-2023, 10:02 AM
Finport Red

Thought Hojlund played quite well second half too, certainly wasn’t poor. It’s all about creating proper space for him, garnacho, rashford and even Antony. If we can do that, all these have a burst of speed that can frighten defences.

Last night after the first half hour was United. A fantastic end to Boxing Day.

Unread 27-12-2023, 10:44 AM
Dr Stranger

Unread 27-12-2023, 10:53 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

I know a lot of people rate him, but I can’t stand him, I really can’t.

It’s like watching it with some bloke in the pub.

Unread 27-12-2023, 10:55 AM
Patty_b

I love him, favourite commentator. But only as a treat once every few weeks.

He seems to be doing commentary every day or so now and it's getting a bit much.

Unread 27-12-2023, 10:58 AM
Danoli

One of the best Boxing Days ever

Beat Forest on Saturday and then we only have the one league game in January. That will give us time to get all our injured players back.

I can see us finishing our league campaign very well.

Them arsehole Villa fans, not a peep from them once we scored.

Unread 27-12-2023, 11:10 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
I love him, favourite commentator. But only as a treat once every few weeks.

He seems to be doing commentary every day or so now and it's getting a bit much.
Yeah that’s fair, he was refreshing every once in a while. But the schtick gets a bit boring game after game.

Unread 27-12-2023, 11:15 AM
pedr0

nothing better than a comeback win

and our best performance of the season. we played fine in the first half as well, just defended the set pieces awfully. eriksen back is a huge boost, and rashford looked properly on it. garnacho on the right seems to work better than rashford on the right,

all that being said, villas high line was an absolute gift for us tbh and played completely into our hands.

Unread 27-12-2023, 11:16 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0

and our best performance of the season. we played fine in the first half as well, just defended the set pieces awfully. eriksen back is a huge boost, and rashford looked properly on it. garnacho on the right seems to work better than rashford on the right,

all that being said, villas high line was an absolute gift for us tbh and played completely into our hands.
Even with the high line they played, the workrate from us was like watching a different team. Can’t think of one player who didn’t put a shift in. Reckon Jim bowled in and told them they’re all on thin ice.

Unread 27-12-2023, 11:21 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0

Dalot was £#%&! in the first half but improved in the second. I think the whole team played much better in the second. It’s still injury ravaged and out of form. We just need to get results till Casemiro and Martinez come back fully fit and they will change the team.

Getting sick of the likes of shaw who can’t stay fit for longer than a season.

Unread 27-12-2023, 11:55 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

Bravo, sir

Unread 27-12-2023, 11:56 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
Thought Hojlund played quite well second half too, certainly wasn’t poor. It’s all about creating proper space for him, garnacho, rashford and even Antony. If we can do that, all these have a burst of speed that can frighten defences.

Last night after the first half hour was United. A fantastic end to Boxing Day.
He wasn't playing well. His runs were off. Twice he got the ball after the press and messed it up. Should have done better with the ball that came to him in the area as well. Got it lost in his feet. None were clear chances but still.

He'll get better. The goal should help.

Unread 27-12-2023, 11:58 AM
redhegemony

It was just two pieces of spectacularly shit defending. We created plenty in the first half.

It's hardly surprising given the lack of a settled defence all season.

Unread 27-12-2023, 12:05 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoli
One of the best Boxing Days ever

Beat Forest on Saturday and then we only have the one league game in January. That will give us time to get all our injured players back.

I can see us finishing our league campaign very well.

Them arsehole Villa fans, not a peep from them once we scored.
Always the same though, aren't they? I think it was hearing them that tipped me over the edge last night. Always the usual shite songs with no sense of irony. I've noticed there's a generic, terrible championship song that's sung by a few PL teams with "great support" - Villa, Liverpool, Arsenal are at it. Weird.

"Oooh are ya?!" was fully audible at 0-2 last night

Unread 27-12-2023, 12:22 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

That's the appeal basically.

I'm not bothered either way but those who do like him and those who can't stand him say the same.

Unread 27-12-2023, 12:29 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
He wasn't playing well. His runs were off. Twice he got the ball after the press and messed it up. Should have done better with the ball that came to him in the area as well. Got it lost in his feet. None were clear chances but still.

Yep, thought he was worryingly poor before the goal but he kept going making runs and putting the effort in which martial/rashford tend not to do when it’s not going for them. Ie more or less every match .

Hopefully that will change now - we need to give miles better service to rassers and if that means garnacho on the right and Rashford on the left then let’s stick to that. Both can play with both feet and therefore give us better options.

Unread 27-12-2023, 01:48 PM
Finport Red

Quote:

He wasn’t hiding, was showing for those chances and ran himself into the ground. Difficult for him to have his runs ‘on’ when nobody has bothered playing him in all season, but he was always there putting in a shift.

Rashford was the same. Been his hardest critic on here this season, and some of his passing was terrible (including one he shot at Hojlund, his shots bobbled or went ten yards wide, and he chickened out of a few tackles, but I think he still played well, especially compared to how he’s been the rest of the season.

If they both continue to do that each week, and we play with the direction and intensity we did last night, they will both have strong finishes to the season.

Unread 27-12-2023, 01:52 PM
Big Norm

Watched extended highlights there this morning. Second half probably best we've played all season. Garnacho ran himself into the ground.

Special mention for the absolutely ridiculous booking for Fernandes having the temerity to take a quick free kick and have it blocked by a Villa player standing 2 yards away.

Unread 27-12-2023, 01:59 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
Watched extended highlights there this morning. Second half probably best we've played all season. Garnacho ran himself into the ground.

Special mention for the absolutely ridiculous booking for Fernandes having the temerity to take a quick free kick and have it blocked by a Villa player standing 2 yards away.
You can’t can’t do all that hand waving at refs in the current climate, you really can’t.

If you play for United.

Unread 27-12-2023, 02:34 PM
Dr Stranger