United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-04-2017, 03:01 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Didn't United Road at it's barmiest used to be adults? Chock fill of loons especially in that end paddock.
That was my impression too. Only once as a kid climbed from Stretford End into United Road and that was Lou Macari's testimonial ffs

Stetford End seats with my old man against Barca in 84 still my best OT memory though. Thought the stand might collapse.

Unread 15-04-2017, 03:16 PM
chooch

Karma, karma, karma, karma, karma United Road. Is that enough Karmas

#topterracechant

Unread 15-04-2017, 04:19 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Then that @#%&! thatcher/those scouse @#%&!s ruined it all
Not to exculpate the dippers in any way, but it was mostly the former. She genuinely hated and despised football.

Unread 15-04-2017, 05:15 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Not to exculpate the dippers in any way, but it was mostly the former. She genuinely hated and despised football.
And the £#%&!ing murdering, drunken, blame-denying @#%&!s gave her just the excuse she needed

Unread 15-04-2017, 05:38 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
And the £#%&!ing murdering, drunken, blame-denying @#%&!s gave her just the excuse she needed
They did. But even without them, she would likely have found another one soon enough.

Unread 15-04-2017, 06:30 PM
puressence

90 percent of the forum will never have stood on either ... fact

Unread 15-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
90 percent of the forum will never have stood on either ... fact
True tbf. I'm 35 and can only half-remember a couple of these glory days. Could 93% swear I was in the scoreboard for the Michael Knighton Arsenal season curtain-raiser in 89. Beat the champions 4-1 and my brother cried because he thought it was first to ten and my abiding memory is a grown man calling Mal Donaghy a %@#$&!.

Unread 15-04-2017, 06:41 PM
75Red

Scoreboard Paddock LMTB holder in my early teens. Then United Road end.
Parents and both sets of grandparents Salfordians.

Unread 15-04-2017, 09:27 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
True tbf. I'm 35 and can only half-remember a couple of these glory days. Could 93% swear I was in the scoreboard for the Michael Knighton Arsenal season curtain-raiser in 89. Beat the champions 4-1 and my brother cried because he thought it was first to ten and my abiding memory is a grown man calling Mal Donaghy a %@#$&!.

Unread 15-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
The thick @#%&! was only 5 and thought we'd be there all day.

Unread 15-04-2017, 10:54 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
That was my impression too. Only once as a kid climbed from Stretford End into United Road and that was Lou Macari's testimonial ffs

Stetford End seats with my old man against Barca in 84 still my best OT memory though. Thought the stand might collapse.
Ah, good old E stand, the one that nobody who didn't go to games really knew about. About as posh as the old Wembley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Red
Scoreboard Paddock LMTB holder in my early teens. Then United Road end.
Parents and both sets of grandparents Salfordians.
Stretford End, Scoreboard End.
United Road was a side, opposite the main stand.

Unread 15-04-2017, 11:16 PM
75Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury

Stretford End, Scoreboard End.
United Road was a side, opposite the main stand.
Me schooled.
Can't even blame it on a typo - just vodka and old age.

Unread 16-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Child of Darkness

You couldn't always get into the scoreboard paddock - it would depend on how many away fans came .

Remember being in scoreboard seats above the away fans versus the murderers and them punctuating our UNITED clap clap clap with a perfectly timed SHIT . It was the first time I'd heard that done . I was shocked .

They all turned round to point at us when they said shit as well .

Think it was 1-1 and big norm scored the equaliser.

Unread 16-04-2017, 09:42 AM
My Name is Keith

Started in the stretty but was instantly attracted to United road after witnessing better dressed hooligans heading in that direction. I was soon jumping over the fences, ' burberried up' to get into the pens nearest the away fans with the rough and tumble of greater Manchester and I never really looked back. Some of the great 1980's victories against Liverpool were witnessed in there - absolute bedlam.

Towards the late 80's I noticed the well dressed lads had moved into k stand so I joined them there (sat next to the happy Mondays lot quite a few times). From there, various assaults were made on the unsuspecting away fans below us and we were routinely ejected. Can remember Middlesbrough being in k one year which caused quite a stir

Great days - it all went down hill when it went all seater and we started being successful tbh.

Unread 16-04-2017, 09:47 AM
no fun

Never really went in united rd regularly, but was in there when we beat Barca 3-0, possibly the best atmosphere I've witnessed at OT

Was also in there for the night match v Southampton when there was a half time announcement that Deidre had chosen ken Barlow over mike baldwin

Unread 16-04-2017, 09:50 AM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Never really went in united rd regularly, but was in there when we beat Barca 3-0, possibly the best atmosphere I've witnessed at OT

Was also in there for the night match v Southampton when there was a half time announcement that Deidre had chosen ken Barlow over mike baldwin

Unread 16-04-2017, 09:54 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of Darkness
Apologies, we were playing arsenal

https://www.facebook.com/CoronationS...53700833782659

Unread 16-04-2017, 09:55 AM
puressence

Quote:

was superb that

Unread 16-04-2017, 10:25 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Started in the stretty but was instantly attracted to United road after witnessing better dressed hooligans heading in that direction. I was soon jumping over the fences, ' burberried up' to get into the pens nearest the away fans with the rough and tumble of greater Manchester and I never really looked back. Some of the great 1980's victories against Liverpool were witnessed in there - absolute bedlam.

Towards the late 80's I noticed the well dressed lads had moved into k stand so I joined them there (sat next to the happy Mondays lot quite a few times). From there, various assaults were made on the unsuspecting away fans below us and we were routinely ejected. Can remember Middlesbrough being in k one year which caused quite a stir

Great days - it all went down hill when it went all seater and we started being successful tbh.
Could you imagine what would have happened to someone with a half and half scarf and an iPad in the old United road?

Football was better when there was an air of menace about it.

They should never have taken the lead out of petrol.

Unread 16-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Child of Darkness

My abiding feeling re United road was just the vitriol that seeped out if it .

Remember spending virtually the whole game singing macaaaavenieee is a £#%&!er is a £#%&!er .

Was £#%&!ing brilliant
Closed Thread