http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...d-1915658.html

It's all there.

Bit petty if you ask me.
mike dean was a balloon

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:05 AM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I thought Cole said in his autobiography that it all stemmed from Sheringham not saying 'good luck' when Cole replaced him as a sub for England?
yep, blanked him completely

but questioned him over something or other in that Bolton game too iirc

sheringham seemed to think cole should defer to him I used to think, probably saw himself as the new eric... no doubt cus he's a stupid cockney @#%&! who thought he'd made it when he started playing for england, and thought united were over-rated until he actually signed and realised what a massive step up in class he was making from spurs

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:05 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
mike dean was a balloon
Loved that

Was all in very respectful and level tones all the way through and then boom!

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:07 AM
PeakyBlinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantic Lisp

sheringham seemed to think cole should defer to him I used to think, probably saw himself as the new eric... no doubt cus he's a stupid cockney @#%&! who thought he'd made it when he started playing for england, and thought united were over-rated until he actually signed and realised what a massive step up in class he was making from spurs
Was at The Cliff for his first day of training.

That Ferrari ffs.

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:08 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakyBlinder

That Ferrari ffs.
I used to like the story about him 'driving his Ferrari up and down Deansgate'. Because, being a cockney, that must definitely have happened.

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:10 AM
Ashley's Grime

Cole was shit until Yorke arrived.

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:11 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantic Lisp

The key part of this post.

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:11 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick

Pretty much the same as this, I was only 8 but remember being properly giddy about it. Didn't it break about 7/8ish at night? Wasnt long before my bed anyway, pyjamas were involved
Honestly couldn't tell you, but that's how I remember it. I'd have been in bed by 8 tbf, and my Dad left for work before I got up, so I possibly wouldn't have known til coming home the next day.

That said there wasn't a 24 hour news culture back in those days, not sure United would have officially announced a transfer that late in the day.

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:12 AM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakyBlinder

That Ferrari ffs.
yeah what a £#%&!ing #@&%!

tbf the pair of them did pretty well together in the team and sheringham was top scorer in his last season with some pretty good goals as well

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:12 AM
PeakyBlinder

Quote:

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:14 AM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
fair play to you for openly regressing back to when you were 10 in honour of Coley

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:17 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley's Grime
You are wrong and quite possibly a little bit %@#$&!ated.

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:18 AM
Ashley's Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
You are wrong and quite possibly a little bit %@#$&!ated.
Don't talk £#%&!ing rubbish.

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:20 AM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Don't talk £#%&!ing rubbish.
he scored 25 goals the season before Yorke was signed

dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Honestly couldn't tell you, but that's how I remember it. I'd have been in bed by 8 tbf, and my Dad left for work before I got up, so I possibly wouldn't have known til coming home the next day.

That said there wasn't a 24 hour news culture back in those days, not sure United would have officially announced a transfer that late in the day.
Didn't mean to put that puzzled smilie thing, £#%&! knows why that's there. Yeah, can't remember it fully myself being that young tbh- but do remember the main headline on teletext 140 being about us signing Cole and reading it about 5 times

Chris Quayd

Quote:

Pretty sure it was announced during the day, mum picked me up from school and told me we'd signed "Andrew Cole', took me a minute to click and was giddy on the car ride home but refused to believe it could be true even though it was on Radio 1 too. Wasn't until I got home and Ceefax p303 confirmed it

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:23 AM
Crumps

Quote:

Sure it was in the morning or at least before my brother finished school, was a teacher training day or some shit as I had been in the Rainsough Brew with my Grandad and got told about it by the blokes in there. Grandad was wel jel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Pretty sure it was announced during the day, mum picked me up from school and told me we'd signed "Andrew Cole', took me a minute to click and was giddy on the car ride home but refused to believe it could be true even though it was on Radio 1 too. Wasn't until I got home and Ceefax p303 confirmed it
Link to Mum

Unread 31-07-2015, 02:36 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Probably my favourite goal ever

https://youtu.be/ysJ_VtDggpM
Poetry in motion.

Cole wasn't originally going to be considered for first choice as Yorke's partner IIRC reading in his book.

Unread 31-07-2015, 08:33 AM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

As kids we used to go to the cliff and watch them train a couple of times a week during summer holidays. During his first pre season Brian Kidd used to do individual training with Cole (one on one's / unmarked crosses) that kind of thing. He was £#%&!ing awful. We used to piss ourself at how bad he was. Proper moody @#%&! too. Wouldn't sign autographs, just finished training and £#%&!ed off in his car. Was convinced he would never make it but was very pleasantly suprised when he did. cool story bro

Unread 31-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Clarkie

Quote:
25 goals before Yorke arrived, in a season where are players dropped like flies with injuries.

Season before that, he came back and helped us win the league when Eric was going through a bad spell. Although, him and Eric were shocking against Dortmund in the home leg

00/01 Yorke was too busy getting with Jordan and Cole sent us on our way to the league, along with Sheringham
Closed Thread