Unread 30-07-2015, 11:20 PM
Chorlton74

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
genuine scenes

Outstanding.

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:21 PM
FraUtd

Remember us being linked to all sorts for the previous 6 months or so, was convinced we would get Collymore.

Cole wasn't even mentioned, kid in school called it a few weeks before by complete fluke, completely stumped when he signed

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:24 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraUtd
Remember us being linked to all sorts for the previous 6 months or so, was convinced we would get Collymore.

Cole wasn't even mentioned, kid in school called it a few weeks before by complete fluke, completely stumped when he signed
Yeah it was a real bolt out of the blue. The newcastle fans protesting and keegan justifying it was the best ever.

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:28 PM
Ethers

It came out of nowhere. Remember getting in from school, my Dad winding me up... "You'll NEVER guess who we've signed...."

"Dean Holdsworth?"

"No"

"Stan Collymore?"

"Nah"

"David Hirst?!"

"Nope. ANDY £#%&!ING COLE!!!!!!"

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:30 PM
Sparky***

david hirst £#%&!ing hell i remember being linked with him a lot

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Probably my favourite goal ever

https://youtu.be/ysJ_VtDggpM
What a goal that is.

Jeez, we'd love a 22yr old Andy Cole now

His goal v Spurs in the final league game of the 99 season was special too. Hugely underrated player.

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:37 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Freggle LOVED him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
What a goal that is.

Jeez, we'd love a 22yr old Andy Cole now

His goal v Spurs in the final league game of the 99 season was special too. Hugely underrated player.
Was totally made up for him after West Ham 95.

Plus I pulled a Norwegian girl that night. Thanks Andy

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Wez

Thumbs up

Enjoyed that

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:39 PM
Chorlton74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Marcelo Salas

Ethers

Yep was cracking, ta for the heads up

Doctor Hver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
The partnership with yorke was immense
Long gone are those days now, i'm £#%&!ing old.

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:40 PM
Crumps

Came as a goal scorer and developed in to one of the finest examples of the modern forward. Could lead the line or run the channels. Absolutley excellent player and a lovely bloke.

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:43 PM
Stickman

Is the sheringham story from the Wednesday away match after we conceded or something else?

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:48 PM
PeakyBlinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
criminally overlooked by england. I couldn't believe it when we signed him.
I was expecting Stan the Man.

I hope the rumours about Stan crying when he heard the news are true too.

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:48 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Is the sheringham story from the Wednesday away match after we conceded or something else?
Bolton iirc.

Was on one of the Munich anniversaries.

Ended up sat next to my £#%&!ing headteacher in the Stretty that game. Least sweary I have ever been in my life.

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:50 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
It came out of nowhere. Remember getting in from school, my Dad winding me up... "You'll NEVER guess who we've signed...."

"Dean Holdsworth?"

"No"

"Stan Collymore?"

"Nah"

"David Hirst?!"

"Nope. ANDY £#%&!ING COLE!!!!!!"
Pretty much the same as this, I was only 8 but remember being properly giddy about it. Didn't it break about 7/8ish at night? Wasnt long before my bed anyway, pyjamas were involved

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:51 PM
Semantic Lisp

Don't feel the need to defend the bloke seeing as he's the top scorer from open play in PL history and a bona fide United legend, but talking of Coley, saw a clip of his glaring miss in the 1st leg at Real the season we were trying to defend the CL - open goal header from 2yds out for a precious away goal

Unread 30-07-2015, 11:52 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I thought Cole said in his autobiography that it all stemmed from Sheringham not saying 'good luck' when Cole replaced him as a sub for England?

Unread 31-07-2015, 12:02 AM
PeakyBlinder

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...d-1915658.html

Quote:
Some of you will know the background to that, but perhaps not the full details. Others might be surprised our rift had such apparently mundane roots. But here's what happened.
It was early 1995, I had recently signed for Manchester United, and it was my England debut, against Uruguay. I was a sub. I came on for Sheringham (then at Spurs), after about 70 minutes. You'll need to understand what was in my head at that moment to get even close to comprehending my reaction to what happened next.
I was so nervous it was frightening. This was the culmination of a lifetime of ambition. You hear the cliché, "It means everything to play for my country". But trust me, it did. Not just for me, but for my family, my parents especially, who had endured all kinds of hardships to give us the chances we had. Becoming a pro had been incredible. Now the magnitude of playing for England was indescribable. The moment has arrived.
I walk on to the pitch, 60,000 or so watching. Sheringham is coming off. I expect a brief handshake, a "Good luck, Coley", something. I am ready to shake. He snubs me. He actively snubs me, for no reason I was ever aware of then or since. He walks off. I don't even know the bloke so he can't have any issue with me. We're fellow England players, it is my debut and he snubs me.
You know what my immediate thoughts were? "Jesus Christ! How many people just saw Teddy Sheringham do that to me?" I was embarrassed. I was confused. And there you have it. From that moment on, I knew Sheringham was not for me.
Two years later, in summer 1997, after Eric Cantona left United, Sheringham arrived. We played together for years. We scored a lot of goals. I never spoke a single word to him.
People wonder how on earth we could function like that. Gary Pallister once said to me: "I know you don't speak to Teddy and he doesn't speak to you, but at least you play well together." We did, and I wouldn't ever cast aspersions on Sheringham's talent as a top-rate footballer for his clubs and country. I've just loathed him personally for 15 years.
It's all there.

Bit petty if you ask me.
Closed Thread