United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Tiberian

Decent piece from Giggs. Wondered when he was coach, looking to become manager if he was doing it simply because he knew nothing else. Showing no great urge to jump into a management job, quite possibly quality offers have not been there, but perspective may have dulled the urge.

Unread 06-05-2017, 04:52 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Decent piece from Giggs. Wondered when he was coach, looking to become manager if he was doing it simply because he knew nothing else. Showing no great urge to jump into a management job, quite possibly quality offers have not been there, but perspective may have dulled the urge.
Could well be not far off there - I wonder how many ex-players go into coaching/management because they think its something they "ought" to do?

Unread 06-05-2017, 09:53 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
There's still a massive stigma attached to mental health, and I'd say more so for men than women.

"What have you got to be depressed about? You just need to pull yourself together".

As said to me by a nurse.
£#%&!ing hell

Unread 06-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
£#%&!ing hell
Oh this goes on....

I was pulled into an office once by a boss....

During the conversation and it was amicable at first..

"I'm not the type of guy to take medication, makes you sloppy, my wife's sister died, told her...as I'm saying to you, just get on with it. Throw yourself into work."

There's loads of other humans that don't actually act sound Day to day...

Took me ages to work out you just won't get on with some folk.

Anyway...mental health for men in the UK is 1940's levels at times.
You've got a generation of 1980's, 90's kids getting old, you've generation X boshing £#%&!ing computer chipped ketamine.
Weak students and moaning old £#%&!ers..

I feel for any @#%&! that goes through it, currently is or might.

Unread 06-05-2017, 10:19 PM
sa7

I first got diagnosed with depression when I was 13.

My old man's response when my mum told him was the classic "what's he got to be depressed about?"

People don't understand that a big part of the crush of depression is the guilt of feeling miserable while knowing that, compared to a lot of people, your situation is pretty cushty.

I'm 30 now and went through my last really bad bout about 5 years ago. Drinking massively to excess, locking myself away from the world, treating my missus (then girlfriend) like absolute shit, explosions of rage. I was an absolute @#%&! and nobody disliked me more than myself. It was the result of a long, gradual descent which I had failed to acknowledge.

I've now got people who keep an eye on me to pull me up if they're worried I'm slipping back. Been on a good keel now for a few years now. Hope Lennon is able to surround himself with good people who actually care for him when he gets out of the mess he's in.

Unread 07-05-2017, 03:44 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
I first got diagnosed with depression when I was 13.

My old man's response when my mum told him was the classic "what's he got to be depressed about?"

People don't understand that a big part of the crush of depression is the guilt of feeling miserable while knowing that, compared to a lot of people, your situation is pretty cushty.

I'm 30 now and went through my last really bad bout about 5 years ago. Drinking massively to excess, locking myself away from the world, treating my missus (then girlfriend) like absolute shit, explosions of rage. I was an absolute @#%&! and nobody disliked me more than myself. It was the result of a long, gradual descent which I had failed to acknowledge.

I've now got people who keep an eye on me to pull me up if they're worried I'm slipping back. Been on a good keel now for a few years now. Hope Lennon is able to surround himself with good people who actually care for him when he gets out of the mess he's in.
Mid twenties can be a shit period for blokes. Expectations etc. really helps to try and get to know yourself and £#%&! what expectations are in your/others head.

Unread 07-05-2017, 07:20 AM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stella Fella
Institutionalised. So bit like long term prison sentence or the forces or having a severe long term illness?

Had to join a gym 30 minutes away - how does he cope getting there in his £140k Range Rover?

It's as if mental health has just been invented by footballers Collymore, Clarke Carlylse, Aaron Lennon

Life is tough for everyone
Knew it wouldn't be long before someone brought are brace boys in the forces into this discussion

Unread 07-05-2017, 10:55 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
Knew it wouldn't be long before someone brought are brace boys in the forces into this discussion
You seem like a nice bloke who's managed to avoid the lure of the armed forces and still get a decent education..

Fair play...

Unread 07-05-2017, 10:58 AM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
You seem like a nice bloke who's managed to avoid the lure of the armed forces and still get a decent education..

Fair play...
Thanks Bunks. Means a lot

Unread 07-05-2017, 03:13 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Mid twenties can be a shit period for blokes
Certainly was for me, interesting that I am far from alone there.
Closed Thread