United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-07-2007, 09:50 PM
silv

Default The strongest team next season

with a champions league bench and Tevez signed.

Van Der Sar
Evra
Vidic
Ferdinand
Neville

Carrick
Hargreaves
Scholes

Rooney
Ronaldo
Tevez

BENCH

Foster
Heinze
Giggs
Smith
Saha
Anderson
Nani

that is £#%&!ing strong

Unread 15-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Tumescent Throb

Park Ji Sung for Smith and you're not far off

Here's an XI that could be useful

VDS
Hargreaves
Evra
Ferdinand
Vidic
Giggs
Scholes
Anderson
Nani
Rooney
Ronaldo

Subs:

Carrick
Park
Neville
Kusczack
Saha
Fletcher
Simpson
Evans
Dong
Solskjaer
Rossi
O'Shea
Brown

Unread 15-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Park Ji Sung for Smith and you're not far off

Here's an XI that could be useful

VDS
Hargreaves
Evra
Ferdinand
Vidic
Giggs
Scholes
Anderson
Nani
Rooney
Ronaldo

Subs:

Carrick
Park
Neville
Kusczack
Saha
Fletcher
Simpson
Evans
Dong
Solskjaer
Rossi
O'Shea
Brown

Hargreaves RB, Carrick on the bench?

Nani and Anderson to start?

A sure fire way to come 3rd or lower, I'd say.

Unread 15-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
Hargreaves RB, Carrick on the bench?

Nani and Anderson to start?

A sure fire way to come 3rd or lower, I'd say.
Say away. Don't pretend to know though; that line up is more than possible for a fair few games.

Unread 15-07-2007, 10:54 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv

Van Der Sar
Evra
Vidic
Ferdinand
Neville

Carrick
Hargreaves
Scholes

Rooney
Ronaldo
Tevez

BENCH

Foster
Heinze
Giggs
Smith
Saha
Anderson
Nani

that is £#%&!ing strong
It's hard to say because the amount of players we have means we can play pretty much any system going, but more often than not I think we'll play a variation of 4-3-3 and Fergie probably has that lineup in mind for the big games next season.

For me, Carrick and Scholes are automatic first choices, as of course are Ronaldo and Rooney. After that, we could pick any two from 6/7 players to make up the front six and I'd fancy us against anyone.

Unread 15-07-2007, 11:20 PM
wonky no

.............................foster

..............ferdinand....vidic......evra

.............hargreaves.............carrick
ronaldo.................scholes................... ...nani

.................tevez................rooney

Unread 15-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv

Van Der Sar
Evra
Vidic
Ferdinand
Neville

Carrick
Hargreaves
Scholes

Rooney
Ronaldo
Tevez
With that midfield it is quite likely the central striker would be isolated. Scholes would be on paper playing the role that Giggs did last year, the off striker. he is no longer suited to that role, all 3 of the midfielder would be in the same space, it has to be 2 out of 3 if we want to keep the same attacking potential. If that means dropping Scholes so be it.

VDS
Neville
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Carrick/Scholes
Hargreaves

Ronaldo
Anderson/Tevez/Giggs
Rooney

Saha

That would be our best system, plenty of support to the main striker.

Unread 15-07-2007, 11:28 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes......oh i say!
.............................foster

..............ferdinand....vidic......evra

.............hargreaves.............carrick
ronaldo.................scholes................... ...nani

.................tevez................rooney
Changing the defence from a back four?! Nani ahead of Giggs? Are you mad, man?

I don't think Hargreaves needs to play unless it's a tough game. Scholes and Carrick were easily good enough against most Prem sides, so unless they need a rest I'd play them both. When we come up against top sides, that's when I'd have Hargreaves in the middle with Carrick or Scholes or possibly all three.

Unread 15-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy

I don't think Hargreaves needs to play unless it's a tough game. Scholes and Carrick were easily good enough against most Prem sides
But also struggled against the better teams in the league and in Europe, leaving us vulnerable defensively. Sticking in another midfielder handicaps our attacking potential.

If we want to win the European Cup again Scholes will have to be phased out. Both he and Giggs showed last year that while they are still good enough against most domestic teams, against the bets they are less of an influence.

We won the league last year by beating the teams that we were expected to beat. Our performances against our rivals were nowhere near the same level, only in the Liverpool home game did we put on a decent attacking showing, a lot of that had to do with sticking in anther midfielder in those games.

Unread 15-07-2007, 11:43 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
With that midfield it is quite likely the central striker would be isolated. Scholes would be on paper playing the role that Giggs did last year, the off striker. he is no longer suited to that role, all 3 of the midfielder would be in the same space, it has to be 2 out of 3 if we want to keep the same attacking potential. If that means dropping Scholes so be it.

VDS
Neville
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Carrick/Scholes
Hargreaves

Ronaldo
Anderson/Tevez/Giggs
Rooney

Saha

That would be our best system, plenty of support to the main striker.
It will be interesting to see where Scholes fits in. Personally, I can see Fergie trying to establish a base of Carrick and Hargreaves in as many games as possible, and try to find the right combination of players to play ahead of them. Long-term, I'm sure the idea is to have Anderson ahead of them and a front three up top, but for next season I think - especially in the big games - he'll probably carry on with Scholes in the attacking midfielder role.

Then again, the amount of quality we have means Fergie has a wide range of players and systems to try out, so it will be very difficult for us (and opposing managers) to guess what he's going to do from one game to the next.

Unread 15-07-2007, 11:45 PM
jem

too many good players for a change.

edwin

neville g - ferdinand - vidic - evra

ronaldo - scholes - hargreaves - giggs

rooney - saha

carrick for scholes when he needs a rest. tevez for saha if we're not playing a top four team. the rest of them need to prove themselves.

Unread 15-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It will be interesting to see where Scholes fits in. Personally, I can see Fergie trying to establish a base of Carrick and Hargreaves in as many games as possible, and try to find the right combination of players to play ahead of them. Long-term, I'm sure the idea is to have Anderson ahead of them and a front three up top, but for next season I think - especially in the big games - he'll probably carry on with Scholes in the attacking midfielder role.

Then again, the amount of quality we have means Fergie has a wide range of players and systems to try out, so it will be very difficult for us (and opposing managers) to guess what he's going to do from one game to the next.
With Scholes I actually think that in the games against the lesser teams he will be more important. We will dominate possession and he is still the best mover of a ball that we have.

He has a super season last year but his contribution was less against the top teams. His lack of fitness and mobility tended to be a problem against sides who could pass the ball and make us run.

Hargreaves and Carrick as a central pair gives us a real solid base to build off, and we can keep the same shape as last year. For me Scholes is no longer suited to playing any further forward, so if he does play it has to be in midfield. Big decisions to be made either way.

Unread 15-07-2007, 11:55 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
But also struggled against the better teams in the league and in Europe, leaving us vulnerable defensively. Sticking in another midfielder handicaps our attacking potential.

If we want to win the European Cup again Scholes will have to be phased out. Both he and Giggs showed last year that while they are still good enough against most domestic teams, against the bets they are less of an influence.

We won the league last year by beating the teams that we were expected to beat. Our performances against our rivals were nowhere near the same level, only in the Liverpool home game did we put on a decent attacking showing, a lot of that had to do with sticking in anther midfielder in those games.
Errr, didn't you read the rest of my post. The bit after the quote. I said we'd need to include Hargreaves against good opposition. I said POSSIBLY using three central midfielders. I think it could work like it did against Milan at home, just with Hargreaves instead of Fletcher.

Unread 16-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

I think there could be a lot of rotation next season, too many good players that deserve time on the park to stick with a regular 11. In some ways this can be detrimental. If you can work out a system of rotation that all the players understand then it can work ok but if there are too many changes and some players are moved around positions a lot it can be hard to get into a real groove.

Still i think with so many good players in the squad you simply have to be confident that this squad will do the business, especially when you look at chelsea and arsenal who appear to be weaker than last season while united are definitely stronger.

Unread 16-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Errr, didn't you read the rest of my post. The bit after the quote. I said we'd need to include Hargreaves against good opposition. I said POSSIBLY using three central midfielders. I think it could work like it did against Milan at home, just with Hargreaves instead of Fletcher.
Sorry if i misinterpreted you, just seen a few threads suggesting that all 3 should start in our strongest team and being a compulsive arguer i jumped on it.

For me Hargeaves should be a starter. He gives us something we lacked in midfield last year, real aggression pace and competitiveness. Carrick is the one at risk initially.

Hargreaves will probably spend a lot of time playing right back anyway, making all this discussion pointless

Unread 16-07-2007, 06:21 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
With that midfield it is quite likely the central striker would be isolated.
Quote:
Hargreaves will probably spend a lot of time playing right back anyway, making all this discussion pointless

It's pretty much the point of 3 up top to run the defence all over the place. The isolated main striker is onlt isolated if he's immobile!

The Hargreaves at RB is a more than strong possibility for a fair few games, as I think someone said earlier in the thread; not all of the discussion was centred around ignoring this

Rotation of the squad is going to be crucial just as it was in '98-'99 for example. But the best bit could be watching the players turning it on and trying to pin down their places.

Last season's XI will hardly feature next season, just as our best team of '93-'94 only ever took the field together 12 times.

Unread 16-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Darth Vidic

Remember last season when we had a bench with no strikers on it for a long period.

Now just imagine our league cup team!

Unread 16-07-2007, 07:58 PM
wonky no

Quote:

I don't think Hargreaves needs to play unless it's a tough game. Scholes and Carrick were easily good enough against most Prem sides, so unless they need a rest I'd play them both. When we come up against top sides, that's when I'd have Hargreaves in the middle with Carrick or Scholes or possibly all three.
Yes, i would put nani infront of giggs on the wing (form permitting). Giggs is a revelation in the middle when rested. Scholes was superb last season and can be again but his long term replacement [carrick] needs to find his attacking feet with his midfield partner, Hargreaves. Scholes and Giggs would swap for each other.

Having hargeaves in midfield is cover enough for 3 defenders, especially when Carrick is making the middle tier of a 3 teir midfield.

Nani is great at left back, Ronnie has more than enough pace to cover the right flank. More importantly, that formation is hard as £#%&! to defend against, Rooney/tevez/saha would revel in the fact that they basically can play without fear upfront.

Unread 16-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Sparky***

VDS

Nev Rio Vida Evra

Hargreaves/Carrick

Ronaldo Scholes Nani/Giggs

Rooney/Saha Tevez/Smith

Expect the rotation system to be used to it's maximum next season a'la 1999. It's the only way we can possibly compete on 3 fronts without leaving ourselves %@#$&!sed like last season.

The only positions that will be safe are the defence. Everything else will be interchangable.

Unread 16-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Baron

-------------VDS---------------

Gaz-----Rio-------Vidic-----Evra

--Carrick/Scholes--Hargreaves---

Ronnie------Rooney--------Giggs

------------Tevez/Saha---------

Genuinely depends on fitness, amount games in a week & whether Saha has lost another limb.
Closed Thread