United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Ed Sullivan

Thumbs up My favourite United side...

Born in 83, so didn't see Babes or Best, Law & Charlton but this is my favourite United side I've seen live and to be honest, no other comes close: -
(Including 99 and present day)

Unread 02-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sullivan
Born in 83, so didn't see Babes or Best, Law & Charlton but this is my favourite United side I've seen live and to be honest, no other comes close: -

Big Gary Walsh fan?

Unread 02-02-2008, 02:35 PM
rebelcountyred

yeah, great side, present side could turn out to be even better, very exciting times for us atm, ronaldo, rooney, anderson, nani and the like of wellbeck poised for the step up, brilliant!

Unread 02-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Big Gary Walsh fan?
Can you believe he was at the club for 10 years?

That pic is missing Ferie and to be honest I'd prefer Sealey in there He made a couple of appearances that season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
yeah, great side, present side could turn out to be even better, very exciting times for us atm, ronaldo, rooney, anderson, nani and the like of wellbeck poised for the step up, brilliant!
Football wise - you're probably right. But in terms of nostalgia, passion, romance - no chance. Different side and club now to then.

Unread 02-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Sloppy

Thumbs up

Quote:

That pic is missing Ferie and to be honest I'd prefer Sealey in there He made a couple of appearances that season.

Football wise - you're probably right. But in terms of nostalgia, passion, romance - no chance. Different side and club now to then.
Legend.

Unread 02-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Mr_Ed

I don't know if it's nostalgia but, back in the day, that side were miles better than anybody else. Untouchable.

As Keano said in his autobiog... they'd slug it out, have a war if they had to but when it came to class they'd do what was needed to win the game.

History shows our 99 team won the treble and champions league (sure there was the UEFA rule) but the 99 team were technically better.

Unread 02-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Ed Sullivan

I wouldn't replace any one of them - including managerial staff. At least Kidd could celebrate properly, unlike Ferie.

Only 2 of them are not British as well

Giggsy and Sharpe celebrating together

Unread 02-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I don't know if it's nostalgia but, back in the day, that side were miles better than anybody else. Untouchable.

As Keano said in his autobiog... they'd slug it out, have a war if they had to but when it came to class they'd do what was needed to win the game.

History shows our 99 team won the treble and champions league (sure there was the UEFA rule) but the 99 team were technically better.
I'm yet to see better counter attacks than Giggs, Ince and Cantona made that season. Staggering.

Unread 02-02-2008, 02:57 PM
wonky no

Quote:

he was a sub 'keeper for chris turner.

Unread 02-02-2008, 02:59 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Legend.
Indeed.

Not ashamed to admit I shed a tear when I heard he died. His performance against Wednesday in the cup was the first time I was aware you had to be of a certain disposition to play for United.

Unread 02-02-2008, 03:01 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Big Gary Walsh fan?
Little Gary Walshist

Unread 02-02-2008, 03:03 PM
waynes ear's

Gary Walsh was that teams version of David May

Unread 02-02-2008, 03:06 PM
poppy

Quote:
I wouldn't replace any one of them - including managerial staff. At least Kidd could celebrate properly, unlike Ferie.

Only 2 of them are not British as well

Giggsy and Sharpe celebrating together
5 of them.

Unread 02-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:

couldn't agree more.

fergie said that the reason they were so successful is that they were all "men". if you look at the spine of that team: schmeichel, bruce, pallister, keane, ince, hughes & cantona, you'd struggle to find a more combative bunch of players from any era, imo.

Unread 02-02-2008, 03:19 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Born in 83
Snap!

Yep, Double Winners of 94 are my favorite side too. Such an exciting team to watch - Kanchelskis, Giggs and of course, my hero, Eric Cantona

A wonderful team to look up to as a kid and a great time to be a Red.

Incidentally, the picture you posted - I have a framed version of it on my bedroom wall

Unread 02-02-2008, 03:48 PM
koppas

Good shout ed.

1994 > 1999

Unread 02-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I'm yet to see better counter attacks than Giggs, Ince and Cantona made that season. Staggering.
Here's two random counter attack goals that easily make the grade:

Kanchelskis at Norwich April 1993

Rooney at home to Bolton last season

Unread 02-02-2008, 06:32 PM
MUFC One Love

I was born in '87 so my early footballer years were watching that team. Also my favourite team and I'll never forget it. I turning into a young teenager for the 99 team so it wasn't the same. The romance and nostalgia make the 94 team my favourite. Growing up seeing our famous counter attacks, not only that, they were warriors. You had Eric, who was Eric, don't need to say out else, Hughes, Kanchelkis was ridiculously fast, then Giggs and Sharpe, to flamboyant players. Ince, Keane, 2 £#%&!ing brilliant midfielders, Irwin reliable as ever and one of the greatest goalies ever in net.

Unread 02-02-2008, 06:42 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Here's two random counter attack goals that easily make the grade:

Kanchelskis at Norwich April 1993

Rooney at home to Bolton last season
Didn't we score a goal against Sheff Wednesday in 98/99 where they took the corner, then we counter attacked. We scored 11 seconds after they took the corner - instigated by a brilliant throw out to Giggs by the great Dane. Class.
Closed Thread