United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 11-03-2018, 10:50 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
really?

I mean... really?

mourinho is every bit as much of a football dementor as moyes. "oh, but we won.... you must hate beating liverpool." £#%&! off. apart from one moment of brilliance from rashford, it was desperate shite. so liverpool didn't score more than one. big deal. they could easily have scored more than one. in control, my £#%&!ing arse. how about actually playing the £#%&!ing game instead of trying to kill it?

when a bus comes out of nowhere and knocks mourinho down, I hope saffers is asking for his autograph at the time.
You know we just beat liverpool at home right

Also every single time freggles played liverpool we were in charge the whole time :itchychin:

£#%&!s sake, the bloody forlan 2 goal legendary match we were clinging on at the end. It's hardly ever a footballing masterclass from either side. That 4-0 from not that long ago mascherano lost the plot but it was still only 1-0 for ages and liverpool played alright until Scholes (my favourite player) well... he either dived or went down easily, but basically he cheated...

Unread 11-03-2018, 10:56 PM
Bunker Buster

When Harri is schooling you on football.....

RIP Jem.....

Maybe we’ll lose against Sevilla and you can post more drivel ?

Unread 11-03-2018, 10:59 PM
Billy Redface

Desperate apart from the first goal?

So we're ignoring the second goal and the Mata chance, which would have been a great goal.

Liverpool could have scored more? When? How many chances did they create?

The Van dijk header from the first half corner. Anything else?

No shots on target second half. At all.

Frankly, they were lucky to be in the game with the Bailly O.G.

Liverpool were supposed to turn up and trash us. Their fans thought it. The media thought it. So where was it? Show me some of the moments of great football. How did their stellar front three do?

How entertaining were Liverpool? How entertaining have they been in the four games over the last two seasons where they've scored the grand total of an own goal and a penalty. Where is their responsibility to entertain in these games? They're the one hyped up and yet they keep having zeros and ones to their name and no chances.... but that's Mourinhos fault? Maybe their goofy, excitable manager - who is apparently the modern manager all the players wanna play for instead of the likes of past it Jose - could come up with a plan to actual.... You know....score.

We retreated far too deeply second half. And Liverpool improved. They're top scorers away from home in the league. They are going to have a spell of pressure.

First half we were happy to let them have the ball and largely positive on the break. We caused them more problems than they caused us.

That is the blueprint to beat them. Tired of all our performances getting lumped together. How else are we to beat Liverpool? We did the damage in the first half. We were too passive in the second, but still well worth a victory.

Whether you like it is another discussion altogether, but to suggest it's desperate is to ignore it's effectiveness .

There was only one side desperate out there yesterday and it wasn't us.

Unread 11-03-2018, 11:01 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface

So we're ignoring the second goal and the Mata chance, which would have been a great goal.

Liverpool were supposed to turn up and trash us. Their fans thought it. The media thought it. So where was it? Show me some of the moments of great football. How did their stellar front three do?

How entertaining were Liverpool? How entertaining have they been in the four games over the last two seasons where they've scored the grand total of an own goal and a penalty.

We retreated far too deeply second half. And Liverpool improved. They're top scorers away from home in the league. They are going to have a spell of pressure.

First half we were happy to let them have the ball and largely positive on the break. We caused them more problems than they caused us.

Whether you like it is another discussion altogether, but to suggest it's desperate is to ignore it's effectiveness .

£#%&!ing this ..all of it

world class postage with a truckload or truth nukes for good measure

Unread 11-03-2018, 11:07 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
You know we just beat liverpool at home right

Also every single time freggles played liverpool we were in charge the whole time :itchychin:
the result of the game isn't in doubt. not sure that other shit games against liverpool are relevant, but I was just as happy to call fergie out for shithouse tactics and team selections (against barca, for example). the trouble is that mourinho plays like this all the time. how many time have we gone a goal or two up and then spent the rest of the game with 6 in defence, 3 deep midfielders and then just let the opposition have the ball and see if they can break us down. it just needs a lucky break to get them back in the game (which they got)..... it's a shit approach to the game and it makes for very little entertainment from a team that is famous for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
When Harri is schooling you on football.....
that didn't happen.

Quote:

the second goal was never intend to get to rashford and his shot was deflected. it was an attack that broke down.

er... plenty. crosses flashing across the goal. situations in which they should have done better. last ditch blocking and tackling (young, for example). just because they didn't score doesn't mean our defence was solid. plus, they could easily have had a couple of penalties. if you are going to say mata's chance would have been glorious... when he missed.... what about the one salah put into row z?

How entertaining were Liverpool? How entertaining have they been in the four games over the last two seasons where they've scored the grand total of an own goal and a penalty. Where is their responsibility to entertain in these games? They're the one hyped up and yet they keep having zeros and ones to their name and no chances.... but that's Mourinhos fault? Maybe their goofy, excitable manager - who is apparently the modern manager all the players wanna play for instead of the likes of past it Jose - could come up with a plan to actual.... You know....score.

I don't give a £#%&! about liverpool's responsibility to entertain. I don't really want to be entertained by the opposition; I want to be entertained by united. they are shit to watch in the main. and that is mourinho's fault.

their spell of pressure lasted most of the game. and we handed them the initiative in the second half. given that their defence and midfield are a bit suspect, would have been better testing them, not the forwards.

yes, even in the first half, "happy" to let them have the ball. ffs.

That is the blueprint to beat them. Tired of all our performances getting lumped together. How else are we to beat Liverpool? We did the damage in the first half. We were too passive in the second, but still well worth a victory.

my issue with mourinho's brand of football isn't with how effective it is. if it isn't effective, there really is no £#%&!ing excuse for it. but, even when effective, it is effective by stopping a good game breaking out. if I just wanted to know united had won, I could read about it in the paper. I want to see a £#%&!ing performance. I like football. quite a few people here clearly don't like football. probs why they have such ridiculous opinions (not normally you, tbf).

I'm not sure I agree, but the quality of football is what is desperate. that said, we were holding on at the end. and we didn't need to be. that was a not a competent strangling of the game; it was a gamble that paid off..... and no more than that.

Unread 11-03-2018, 11:25 PM
AK14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC

Unread 11-03-2018, 11:45 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the result of the game isn't in doubt. not sure that other shit games against liverpool are relevant, but I was just as happy to call fergie out for shithouse tactics and team selections (against barca, for example). the trouble is that mourinho plays like this all the time. how many time have we gone a goal or two up and then spent the rest of the game with 6 in defence, 3 deep midfielders and then just let the opposition have the ball and see if they can break us down. it just needs a lucky break to get them back in the game (which they got)..... it's a shit approach to the game and it makes for very little entertainment from a team that is famous for it.

that didn't happen.

I'm not sure I agree, but the quality of football is what is desperate. that said, we were holding on at the end. and we didn't need to be. that was a not a competent strangling of the game; it was a gamble that paid off..... and no more than that.
Sorry, mostly disagree.

So because the ball deflected to Rashford from the initial ball to Mata, we're ignoring it as an effective attack.

I asked for chances. Balls going across the box, to nobody, because they're all marked, is not a chance. Salah's? Snap shot from 15 yards with plenty of bodies between him the and the goal? If that's the best they can fashion, I'll take it all day long.

Yes, letting them have the ball. As Jose said post-match "in control without the ball". It makes it tense and it's a fine line, admittedly, but it works.

Their spell didn't last most of the game at all . Nothing aside from the Van dijk header first half. Early pressure second half and then very little bar a late flurry after the own goal.

The mata chance was to highlight your incorrect assertion that we created nothing that wasn't desperate apart from the Rashford chance.

Like I said, if you don't like it, fine. That wasn't the point of the posts. The point is we werent desperate. Liverpool were. And have been the last four times we've played them.

The 'entertainment responsibility' remark wasn't aimed specifically at you, more a wider point about us being labelled dull when this supposedly thrilling Liverpool side are bringing f*** all to the table.

We produced the best and most effective football yesterday.

Unread 11-03-2018, 11:56 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
You really don't have a clue do you if you were one of the people, you might understand something of the peoples game It was he beginning of the end when types like you started 'getting into' the footyball
before we were relegated?

Quote:
The mata chance was to highlight your incorrect assertion that we created nothing that wasn't desperate apart from the Rashford chance.

Like I said, if you don't like it, fine. That wasn't the point of the posts. The point is we werent desperate. Liverpool were. And have been the last four times we've played them.
the quality of the football is desperate. as is the defence of mourinho football. the end does not justify the means. soz.

there is the odd good bit of play and it's a surprise when our disjointed attack clicks. and various people have complained about it since mourinho arrived.

don't make me search your posts.

Unread 12-03-2018, 12:14 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Al
This place has been in meltdown for over 24 hours now

And we won
As far as certain people are concerned, its been in meltdown BECAUSE we won??

Unread 12-03-2018, 12:15 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

the quality of the football is desperate. as is the defence of mourinho football. the end does not justify the means. soz.

there is the odd good bit of play and it's a surprise when our disjointed attack clicks. and various people have complained about it since mourinho arrived.

don't make me search your posts.
That's not what you said. You said it was desperate apart from Rashford's moment of brilliance.

Outside of that we scored another and created a great chance for Mata that would have been a great goal.

That and reducing a prolific attack to scraps was my evidence that we were far from desperate.

The extension of the football being generally poor outside of this game is another discussion, perfectly valid and I don't disagree. I've criticised Jose, performances and players because it's deserved. I try to be fair and I don't think criticism for yesterday is fair.

Unread 12-03-2018, 12:17 AM
Tiberian

Plenty to appreciate about the performance, commitment, togetherness, defensive organization and focus, the efficiency, but aesthetically it was a brutal match to watch in the main.

He is a winner but I can't pretend to enjoy Mou's approach to the game.

Unread 12-03-2018, 12:43 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Plenty to appreciate about the performance, commitment, togetherness, defensive organization and focus, the efficiency, but aesthetically it was a brutal match to watch in the main.

He is a winner but I can't pretend to enjoy Mou's approach to the game.
His approach has been forced further due to the state of the squad. Players there that he wouldn’t buy in a million years. I’m just glad that we’ve managed to win that 3 on the bounce, don’t think any of the moaners would have backed us for 9 points and a home win away from he next round in Europe.

Unread 12-03-2018, 12:53 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
His approach has been forced further due to the state of the squad. Players there that he wouldn’t buy in a million years. I’m just glad that we’ve managed to win that 3 on the bounce, don’t think any of the moaners would have backed us for 9 points and a home win away from he next round in Europe.
Mou will always find a reason to take the cautious approach, it is who he is as a coach. This squad, for all its flaws, is still clearly the second best in the country.

Unread 12-03-2018, 02:04 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Agree with a fair bit in this post, but not sure about that. Our tactics were largely behind the game being quite a poor watch. At Old Trafford this fixture has traditionally been a bit more open, and Liverpool have had loads of goals in their other games against top sides.

Difference is that we have one of the few managers who will play like this at the very highest level. Mourinho is extremely difficult to beat at home (did Fergie ever do it? Genuine question) and part of the reason is that he will often still play like the away side.

But it was still a big failure for Liverpool. The hardest type of game they can come up against, but the lack of opportunities created in the 70 odd mins they were behind made it a pretty timid performance from them. The own goal made the last half hour tense for us, but truth is United were mainly in control. Unlike, say, the Arsenal game, where we sat back and still conceded loads of chances.

Unread 12-03-2018, 03:51 AM
Denis Irwell

Can understand some of the angst etc re: playing style but it’s a results game. We can be as pretty as we like but if we finish 8th a) he’d be sacked and b) the fallout worse than it is. Only the Abu media leading the gallant fight against “anti-football “ is happening because it’s United. Never a murmur when he did this with Chelsea. We admired Juve and the Milan clubs doing likewise for years whilst pouring scorn on our naïveté. The fact is that the majority on here know nothing but the Ferie years and have little or no perspective. Let’s lay the foundations and build a team on that before soiling yourselves. What you’ve just lived through with SAF is not going to happen again. Even the great Liverpool sides were built on results first (and universally admired) and apart from that, all we’ve had are passing, flattering-to-deceive flourishes from certain clubs that are soon sussed and snuffed out. I’m sure Jose is every bit as aware of the “United way” just as he is about our youth traditions. City have had a distinct advantage and head start on us and were worse than us last season. They’re allowed to build without this continuous, tedious whingeing and whining.

Unread 12-03-2018, 06:13 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Even the great Liverpool sides were built on results first (and universally admired)
and universally derided for scabbing a penalty and then passing back to the keeper for 70 minutes?

Unread 12-03-2018, 06:46 AM
believe

Didn’t we win?

Unread 12-03-2018, 07:03 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Didn’t we win?
someone may have pointed that out already.

are you saying jose is above criticism if we win? that all our reservations about our style of play just disappear?

we beat palace too.

presumably, if we lose on tuesday, it's ok to sack him.

Unread 12-03-2018, 07:29 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

Maybe the odd bit of good play is representative of how mourinho wants his united team to play consistently. People have been complaining about it for 5+ years before he arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
and universally derided for scabbing a penalty and then passing back to the keeper for 70 minutes?
By united fans. Not by the media. The media worshipped them.

Unread 12-03-2018, 07:59 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
someone may have pointed that out already.

are you saying jose is above criticism if we win? that all our reservations about our style of play just disappear?

we beat palace too.

presumably, if we lose on tuesday, it's ok to sack him.
I’ve no issues with any of the above but rewriting events that didn’t actually happen in a game we won seem a bit of a strange way to make a point.