United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-06-2010, 12:05 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Everything has to be turned into a war with the gutter press in this country.

England fans turn up at games dressed as RAF pilots and wearing £#%&!ing WW2 helmets, it's pathetic.

Even the Americans, often lambasted for being blindly patriotic and cringeworthy don't stoop so low as the #@&%!s following England. i don't remember seeing any american supporters dressed up in circa 1776 war of independence gear when they played us.

But with us it's all "our boys going into battle" this and "once more unto the breach dear friends" that. The rest of the world must look at us and wonder what they put in the £#%&!ing water over here.
The flags on cars thing is all very much part of this Deny it if you like, I won't be drawn into a lengthy discussion about it except to say we should all be able to see the link. If you can't or won't then good luck to you.

Unread 30-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
The flags on cars thing is all very much part of this Deny it if you like, I won't be drawn into a lengthy discussion about it except to say we should all be able to see the link. If you can't or won't then good luck to you.
I thought you might say that tbh. Of course, there is no more of a link than there is in other countries. Just because you can't separate them in your mind doesn't mean other people can't. If you can't or won't see that then good luck to you.

Unread 30-06-2010, 12:19 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
It's not that simple. Most of the time managers don't get the time to get the youth set up working. Take any club, let's say City. If they don't get into the top 4 next season, they'll probably sack their manager. As a result he's much more likely to sign proven players rather than risk losing his job. As Wright says, often the foreigner will play for less than the English people want. Who in their right mind would pay an Englishmen more than a foreigner with the same talent? Club football contributes more than its fair share to the national team. Wright seems to want clubs to make sacrifices in order to benefit the national side. With the amount of money in the game now, that's never going to happen.
It's not just a question of the economics, it's a knee jerk reaction to invalid stats.

Look at the United team of 1986, how many were England Qualified from a first chice IX? Robson, Gidman, Bailey, Duxbury. That's it. And Duxbury and Gidman were hardly ever considered for England.
Liverpool of 1986: Barnes (maybe or was he still at Watford?), Neal?...I'm strggling to think of any more.
Everton: Lineker, Reid, Gary stevens, Trevor Steven, Heath, Mountfield. Of those Heath and Mountfield were nowhere near. You could include Bracewell I suppose but he was never fit enough anyway.

That's three of the top teams of that era, packed with irish, Welsh and scottish. A sprinkling of Danes etc and you'd be luck to get 44% England qulaified players out of it. Every set of stats i see about this is skewed, and deliberately, as they include "British" players as being English...£#%&! knows why.
Closed Thread