United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-05-2018, 07:47 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangared
Before Mourinho arrived this goal scoring phenomenon you speak of had scored 32 goals in 130 games.

Exactly. I suppose Jose is responsible for Ravel Morrison not living up to his potential. Both Rashford & Martial have had plenty of chances to cement a spot & both have flattered to deceive.
what the actual £#%&! is this bullshit.

martial was 19 when mourinho arrived, and had scored 17 goals in his first season.

And they have flattered to deceive?
jesus christ. Rashford is 20 years old for £#%&!ing christ sakes. Wake the £#%&! up mate. Snap out of it.

Unread 09-05-2018, 07:59 AM
andyroo

They have not had "plenty of chances to secure a spot". That is a lie. What happens is they're fecked in and out of the team on absolute whims however they play, even if they've scored our winning goals, then when they are thrown in clearly underprepared by the genius level coaching we're clearly getting given the well-drilled, confident, focussed performances we're getting from everyone else (cough) they're expected to just turn it on and branded failures when it doesn't happen.

everythingproceedingasihaveforeseen.gif

Unread 09-05-2018, 08:51 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
everythingproceedingasihaveforeseen.gif
as borsuk had foreseen iirc.

he called this one right

Unread 09-05-2018, 09:10 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
as borsuk had foreseen iirc.

he called this one right
Good for him. I meant the emperor in Star Wars, not me personally.

Unread 09-05-2018, 09:29 AM
General Woundwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
It was sarcasm ffs

Unread 09-05-2018, 09:40 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Woundwort
It was sarcasm ffs
It was very subtle

Unread 09-05-2018, 09:41 AM
Cream

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...isic-swap-deal

Swap deal with Pulisic CONFIRMED.

Guess we just need to band together now and welcome our new attacking midfielder.

Unread 09-05-2018, 09:42 AM
silv

can't we loan him out?

same with Shaw. Seems mad to just get rid of them.

Unread 09-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Coracao

They have played plenty of games during Mourinho's spell in fairness.

The problem is that neither of them are currently good enough to lead the line on their own, and I don't think either of them are really showing that they will be the solution playing out wide left. And whether they will ever be good enough is something that it up for debate and won't come to fruition for a good few years. Rashford is still showing glaring weaknesses in his game (to be expected to some degree, but there needs to be some indication of progression) and Martial will never get there unless he gains more drive.

Everyone will no doubt be expecting Mourinho to lead a title challenge next season, something he likely won't achieve with our unbalanced options in the final third. Sometimes difficult decisions need to be made, you can't always sacrifice your immediate team for something which may never materialise. Mourinho isn't in the position to do what Fergie did whilst waiting for Rooney and Ronaldo (who lets not forget were infinitely better players than these two), people would be calling for his head (as they were when Fergie actually did it tbf, but we didn't have a trigger happy board) and Fergie rightly had security in his job. I feel one of Martial / Rashford will move on, likely the former and probably for the benefit of himself, the team and Rashford. Shame, as I feel he is the more talented player but is lacking the desire.

Unread 09-05-2018, 09:53 AM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Woundwort
It was sarcasm ffs

Unread 09-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
can't we loan him out?

I doubt he's going anywhere.

Mourinho said before the West Brom game that he won't be signing a forward.

'If I have more competition for Lukaku, that means more competition for the players who he's keeping out of the side already'

I'd like to see him rotate the striker within games more often, like when he sticks Lukaku out wide. Usually happens due to shit not working out though. Lukaku ends up playing better out wide than Martial does through the centre...

Could be a flaw in his approach to games. You're always vulnerable at 1-0. Whereas Fergie could bring Ole on for half an hour while we're 3-0 up and coasting. No pressure.

It's a puzzler.

Unread 09-05-2018, 09:55 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
can't we loan him out?

Shaw has one foot out the door but his situation isn't like the rest. Could've been handled with more class but he's done. Maybe could've benefited from a loan in January but that's hindsight.

Unread 09-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Switching Off

Pulisic looks decent fwiw. Good age too

Unread 09-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Pulisic looks decent fwiw. Good age too
22 or 30?

Unread 09-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Buck

Quote:
Eric Cantona has spoken of his admiration for fellow countryman and Manchester United striker Anthony Martial after a superb debut season with the Reds and the club legend has likened Martial to Brazilian forward Ronaldo.

The two-time Ballon d’Or winner was the best striker in world football in his pomp, winning two World Cups and countless other trophies during an illustrious career which included spells at Barcelona, Inter Milan and Real Madrid.

Ronaldo’s pace, trickery and deadly finishing ability helped him secure his place in football history as one of the greatest forwards of all time and Cantona says what he’s seen so far of Martial in his first campaign at Old Trafford has reminded him of the great Brazilian.

“He’s very mature for his age. I think he’s the same kind of player as Ronaldo. Of course Ronaldo is a Brazilian, but he’s as strong as him. Martial is skilful, he wants to score goals and he has good vision,” Cantona told MUTV in an exclusive interview.

“At Manchester it’s a great club for young players when you are in the Academy and also when you are 18/19/20 years old. [At that age] you need to go and play for a great team and also you need to work with people who will help you because you’re still a young player, just as Ronaldo, the Portuguese Ronaldo, did when he came to play for United and for Ferguson.

“He had the opportunity to win trophies but also Ferguson helped him to be the player he is today. And I think he [Martial] has been very clever to choose Manchester United.”
Before Mourinho

Unread 09-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Before Mourinho
Uh oh.

Unread 09-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
On what basis?
The basis he consistently delivers what the manager wants.

Unread 09-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
22 or 30?
Pulisic is 19. And his middle name is Mate

Unread 09-05-2018, 02:06 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao

The problem is that neither of them are currently good enough to lead the line on their own, and I don't think either of them are really showing that they will be the solution playing out wide left. And whether they will ever be good enough is something that it up for debate and won't come to fruition for a good few years. Rashford is still showing glaring weaknesses in his game (to be expected to some degree, but there needs to be some indication of progression) and Martial will never get there unless he gains more drive.

Everyone will no doubt be expecting Mourinho to lead a title challenge next season, something he likely won't achieve with our unbalanced options in the final third. Sometimes difficult decisions need to be made, you can't always sacrifice your immediate team for something which may never materialise. Mourinho isn't in the position to do what Fergie did whilst waiting for Rooney and Ronaldo (who lets not forget were infinitely better players than these two), people would be calling for his head (as they were when Fergie actually did it tbf, but we didn't have a trigger happy board) and Fergie rightly had security in his job. I feel one of Martial / Rashford will move on, likely the former and probably for the benefit of himself, the team and Rashford. Shame, as I feel he is the more talented player but is lacking the desire.
Excellent post.

No manager in the modern game can sacrifice the present for the future otherwise they’ll have no future. Even back then Fergie knew he had to stack the team with seasoned veterans and become competitive first otherwise he’d have had no platform to invest in youth down the road. Whether the Forest game was the pivotal moment or not, there’s little doubt he was on borrowed time at that point.

It’s a slippery slope to keep making excuses for poor performance and less than stellar work rate. A player should be judged on what he’s doing now -and that doesn’t require being the finished article btw-, not what he might become under different circumstances in an undetermined future.

Unread 09-05-2018, 02:34 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao

Good post and totally agree. Martial has bags of talent and obviously an exciting player you want to do well, but unfortunately, he's french - same gallic attitude and shrug your shoulders infuriation you get from Pogba. I'm sure he does give a shit, but he doesn't seem to want to translate that into hard work and, like it or not, that's what Mourinho's teams are built around - tactical and defensive discipline, but then with the attacking talent to get the necessary goals. Not sure he's really got the first bit which is why he might be out the door.

He might obviously thrive under a manager who's willing to put up with his languid nature, but again ultimately if he's not doing what Mourinho wants he'll end up with the boot.

In theory, at the moment would I have him up front instead of Rom on a regular basis? Probably not. Same goes for Rashford. Lukaku is relatively young as well, given his experience at the top level.
Closed Thread