Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Baron

Football Andy Cole section of Glory, Glory book

Linkage

Quote:
COLE ON HIS DEBUT SEASON

Cole scored five times in the record 9-0 victory over Ipswich Town seven games into his Old Trafford career but losing out on the league to Blackburn on the final day of the season at Upton Park is the match that stands out in his memory.

"I got a lot of criticism that day," said Cole. "Ludek Miklosko was unbelievable in the net. I hit the post but we couldn't get a winner.

"Those people in the media who had said I had been brought in to win the championship were now saying that I had cost United the league.

"I took too much of it to heart. I was devastated by how much flak I took because it implied that I wasn't committed to United. I was - I'd even missed the birth of my first child to play for United a few weeks before."

COLE ON ERIC CANTONA

"He was the only player I saw who the manager never had a go at. We all went to a film premiere and were told to wear black ties. Eric turned up in a cream lemon suit with Nike trainers. The manager told him that he looked fantastic. I liked Eric and considered him friendly."

COLE ON TEDDY SHERINGHAM

"Our problems started when I made my England debut. I replaced Teddy. I was making my debut. Maybe I was naive, but I think he should have wished me all the best.

"I was nervous, as anyone would be. Instead, he walked straight past me and blanked me. It's not like I told Terry Venables to take Teddy off.

"So I was devastated when Teddy Sheringham signed for United because I couldn't stand him. We played a friendly in Milan in 1997, just after he'd signed. He said something on the pitch. I didn't like it. 'I'm only trying to help you,' he said. 'I don't need your help,' I replied."

Ironically, the striking partnership between the two thrived.

COLE ON ROY KEANE

Roy Keane and Cole enjoyed a positive relationship.

"Not everyone did," said Cole, "but we didn't have a cross word. He knew my character and I knew his. I called him 'Schiz' and got away with it so he must have liked me.

"We came in at half-time at Highfield Road one year. We'd not been playing well and Schiz started raving at Gary Neville. Nev gave it him back and Roy flipped and started chasing him around the dressing room. It was hilarious.

"The manager came in and settled him down.

"We went to Spain one year to train. Schiz always ended up taking Quinton Fortune out with ferocious tackles. The gaffer saw this one and came over, telling him to calm down.

"Roy told him to keep his oar out. The manager abandoned training. The lads couldn't believe what they were seeing.

"I had a set-to with Teddy on the pitch. Everybody knew that Teddy wasn't my cup of tea and I wasn't his. We came in at half-time and it was going to go off between me and Teddy.

"Schiz calmed me down, but then he wanted to start fighting Teddy.

"He could be really, really cutting. He used to hammer Yorkie. During a game. He'd hammer him for his touch. Yet he never did it to me."

COLE ON YORKE

"I liked Yorkie. We were totally different. Dwight was, 'Look at me, I play for Manchester United, I've got a nice bird and car.' I'm the opposite.

"I bought a Porsche one year but was so self-conscious that I couldn't drive it. It took me two months to drive it to training. Yorkey had no such worries."

COLE ON LEAVING UNITED

United signed Ruud van Nistelrooy in 2001. Here, finally, was the new striker who pushed Cole to the sidelines.

"One day I knocked on the manager's door. I'd always had a brilliant relationship with him and he was great in that meeting.

"I told him that I didn't want to be sat on the bench. I didn't want to steal a wage. I wanted fans to come up to me and say that I had put a good shift in for my wages.

"The manager told me that he didn't want me to go, but said, `I know how you are, understand where you are coming from and will let you go.' In hindsight, I should have swallowed my pride."
We could do with Andy Cole circa 1995 tbf - top Red, comes across very well.

Unread 09-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Brenner

Default Re: Andy Cole section of Glory, Glory book

Served the club well without question

@#%&! of a man though

Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Linkage

yup, top red. rooney should take note re: missing the birth of a child!

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Linkage

He's got sseason ticket now hasn't he, for him and his kid.

Unread 09-10-2009, 02:39 PM
wiganste

Criminally under-rated and the witch hunt from the press re: his 7:1 chances to goal ratio was £#%&!ing terrible.

Top player for Utd.

Unread 09-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Zorg

Quote:
We all went to a film premiere and were told to wear black ties. Eric turned up in a cream lemon suit with Nike trainers.

Unread 09-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Served the club well without question

@#%&! of a man though
really? Heard he was very surly, but never really paid a huge amount of attention to what players do off the field unless it's staggeringly idiotic...

Unread 09-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Lok

Saw him in the trafford centre about a year ago. He was on his own so went over and shook his hand. Seemed a nice enough bloke.

Unread 09-10-2009, 02:44 PM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up Re: Andy Cole section of Glory, Glory book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Saw him in the trafford centre about a year ago. He was on his own so went over and shook his hand. Seemed a nice enough bloke.
Nope an utter @#%&!, like Gary Neville.

Unread 09-10-2009, 02:45 PM
carlosartorial

Thumbs up Re: Andy Cole section of Glory, Glory book

I'll always remember his hat-trick away at Feyenoord in 97....because I was in their end and thought I was going to die.

Unread 09-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Sloane

always liked him as a player, didnt like him as a person though

Unread 09-10-2009, 02:51 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
always liked him as a player, didnt like him as a person though
I never really got to know him as a person.

Unread 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
I'll always remember his hat-trick away at Feyenoord in 97....because I was in their end and thought I was going to die.
I always knew you were a hoolie, from the first time I saw you, shifty eyes innitt

Unread 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I never really got to know him as a person.
when i met he was a bit of a #@&%!

Unread 09-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Brenner

Quote:
really? Heard he was very surly, but never really paid a huge amount of attention to what players do off the field unless it's staggeringly idiotic...
I had the misfortune of being introduced to him at Ferie's testimonial dinner. His attitude/arrogance was a £#%&!in disgrace.

Unread 09-10-2009, 03:01 PM
The Return of JC

Love Coley. Wasn't prepared to sit on the bench and gotta respect that coz he had a lot to offer us. Could've bad mouthed the club, but never said a bad word about us. When he came back with Blackburn, him and Ruud had a nice little moment in the centre circle before kick off. A class act and I don't know where the idea that he is a @#%&! comes from. Bit surly, but that hardly makes him a @#%&!. He must have something about him if he can go to City and still be loved by us.

Unread 09-10-2009, 03:08 PM
wiganste

Quote:
I was in our end and I thought I was going to die.

Unread 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Love Coley. Wasn't prepared to sit on the bench and gotta respect that coz he had a lot to offer us. Could've bad mouthed the club, but never said a bad word about us. When he came back with Blackburn, him and Ruud had a nice little moment in the centre circle before kick off. A class act and I don't know where the idea that he is a @#%&! comes from. Bit surly, but that hardly makes him a @#%&!. He must have something about him if he can go to City and still be loved by us.
I think most people have forgotten his stint at cITY

Unread 09-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Brenner

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
I was in our end and I thought I was going to die.
Top away that.

Nearly died in The 'Dam after we got dropped off there after the game..

Unread 09-10-2009, 05:40 PM
taff

he's a right mard. what did he want teddy to do, hold his hand and tell him he'd be fine?

also remember when he suddenly announced he wanted to be called "andrew"

top player though, and the stick he got outside united was £#%&!ing scandalous.
Closed Thread