United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Some shite being spouted here. United have always spent fortunes.
So? Why does that even come into it?

It’s OUR money. It’s not the mineral wealth of a state backing us up.

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:37 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
People are impressed pal and when they do win the lot money will hardly be mentioned.

Its as if 'pep' is doing it on a shoe string budget and is a genius
I feel you are confusing "people" here somewhat with what is actually "bought and paid for hacks".

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:39 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Just imagine what guardiola could do if city’s limited budget didn’t prevent them being able to compete financially.

S/Side.Red

Quote:
Well not always, but yeah. Arsenal fans like to remind me of when they tried to challenge us and we dropped £50m on Veron and RvN in one summer, which they couldn't compete with. United right now certainly can't complain about not having enough money.

But regardless, it does feel a bit meaningless. There's no real build there. The absence of local players is part of it. As is them being a plastic that none of these players would have looked at ten years ago. Some bitterness, but I genuinely think it's a soulless project.

suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
So? Why does that even come into it?

It’s OUR money. It’s not the mineral wealth of a state backing us up.
Ours? Is it £#%&! and it's certainly not yours.

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:41 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Ours? Is it £#%&! and it's certainly not yours.
What's your point?

United are a big spending club and have been for generations. Even so, why does this make us "the same" as a totally artificial enterprise like city?

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:43 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Some shite being spouted here. .
yeah mostly by you

tit

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:43 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
What's your point?

United are a big spending club and have been for generations. Why does this make us "the same" as a totally artificial enterprise like city?
They're an organisation supported but outside investment. Same as United. Trying to paint them as 'plastic' or whatever is childish and futile. All big clubs are the same now. They just have a richer owner than anyone else.

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:44 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
They're an organisation supported but outside investment. Same as United. Trying to paint them as 'plastic' or whatever is childish and futile. All big clubs are the same now. They just have a richer owner than anyone else.
What a load of absolute %@#$&!s.

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:45 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Utd have been trying to spend their way to the top since Fergie retired, but even that does not come close to the shamelessness of what City are doing. Even Abramovich looks more reasonable. What City and PSG have done is ugly. Would feel the same if Utd were in their place, where is the fun in winning when it is this easy and stacked so much in your favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
People are impressed pal and when they do win the lot money will hardly be mentioned.

Its as if 'pep' is doing it on a shoe string budget and is a genius
Have to agree with RIC, the hacks may love it because City treat them well and it is a new story to tell but the general public are cold to it. They can not even fill out the ground.

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:46 PM
suedeshoes

The Scotchman and the cockney disagree. Obviously.

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:46 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Well not always, but yeah. Arsenal fans like to remind me of when they tried to challenge us and we dropped £50m on Veron and RvN in one summer, which they couldn't compete with.
They did though...

They won the league and cup double that season and went unbeaten two seasons later...

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:51 PM
ziggyman17

Quote:
there current manager has spent the best part of 500 million in 18 months. and thats on top of the 100's of millions spent in the previous 10 years. Utd have always spent within their means, the same as most other clubs around Europe, City and PSG have turned the transfer market into a pissing competition and the knock on effect to all the other clubs will not be felt now but over the coming years, salaries, transfers and the like all going through the roof because of the reckless spending of those 2..

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:51 PM
Tronics

Quote:
I have little doubt he's the best coach in the world, but this really is a hollow experience for him, surely? An absolute non-entity of a club spending £60m on squad players. Even if they do win the Champions League someday soon, where's the real achievement?

In this age of absurd spending at the major clubs, that local identity and representation on the field feels even more important.
Yup i'd assume the footballing purist in him isn't happy with it but after his rocky time at Bayern I think he came to realisation that he needs to collect as many trophies as possible regardless of the method, if he's to be remembered as one of the coaches of all time.

After Bayern quite alot of Pep nay sayers said he was only successful with Barca because he had once a generation squad at his disposal and for anyone as competitive as he is it probably got on his nerves hence the full on onslaught to sign as many players as possible to ensure victory on all fronts.

Problem is if City fail to win the CL i'm sure some will still look at his time there as failure, which makes sense considering the amount they've spent etc.

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:52 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
They did though...

They won the league and cup double that season and went unbeaten two seasons later...
Financially, I mean.

And if they did then maybe it reduces our excuses. I think City are plastics and its soulless; I also think it's a lame excuse from our POV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
there current manager has spent the best part of 500 million in 18 months. and thats on top of the 100's of millions spent in the previous 10 years. Utd have always spent within their means, the same as most other clubs around Europe, City and PSG have turned the transfer market into a pissing competition and the knock on effect to all the other clubs will not be felt now but over the coming years, salaries, transfers and the like all going through the roof because of the reckless spending of those 2..
United's net spend over the last 18 months is quite similar to CIty's.

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:55 PM
Whip Hubley

Question

Quote:
I have little doubt he's the best coach in the world, but this really is a hollow experience for him, surely? An absolute non-entity of a club spending £60m on squad players. Even if they do win the Champions League someday soon, where's the real achievement?

In this age of absurd spending at the major clubs, that local identity and representation on the field feels even more important.
Really? yshs.

Pretty sure I'd be the 'best coach in the world' if I had an unlimited pot of gold and er, 'dubious' medical staff....

If he's the best coach in the world why didn't he win the CL with the bayern squad that had won the treble the season before his arrival? Didn't even make the final IIRC...... 5-0 wasn't it against madrid on aggregate?

Quote:

United's net spend over the last 18 months is quite similar to CIty's.

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:56 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Financially, I mean.

And if they did then maybe it reduces our excuses. I think City are plastics and its soulless; I also think it's a lame excuse from our POV.
Maybe so but, is it a lame excuse for Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal etc too?
Or, just us?

The way I see it, if it's gotten to the stage where they just go out and buy someone because a player is injured, then what's the point?

Unread 30-01-2018, 08:59 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Maybe so but, is it a lame excuse for Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal etc too?
Or, just us?

The way I see it, if it's gotten to the stage where they just go out and buy someone because a player is injured, then what's the point?
United are a lot closer to City financially than those clubs, especially Spurs ffs. Their net spend over the last 18 months was £7m according to Sky. We've probably given Mino Raiola three times that in agent fees alone.

The gap between City and United on the field is bigger than the gap off it. We should be closer to them. For Spurs, it's hopeless.

Unread 30-01-2018, 09:00 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
The Scotchman and the cockney disagree. Obviously.
Yeah it’s just us. Everyone else agrees with you.

Fool.

Unread 30-01-2018, 09:01 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Really? yshs.

Pretty sure I'd be the 'best coach in the world' if I had an unlimited pot of gold and er, 'dubious' medical staff....

If he's the best coach in the world why didn't he win the CL with the bayern squad that had won the treble the season before his arrival? Didn't even make the final IIRC...... 5-0 wasn't it against madrid on aggregate?
Who is better?

Mourinho has reached one Champions League final since he left Porto btw nearly 14 years ago. It's not actually easy to win.
Closed Thread