Yes 2 2.70%
No 72 97.30%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 04-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Wez

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav81
None of you make sense. It's like you enjoy being shit.

No you're right, Keane's trophy haul as a manager is second to none you wum @#%&!

Unread 04-03-2017, 09:33 PM
dragflick

Thumbs down

Quote:
I didn't get to vote!!!

I'd swap Mourinho for Keano in the blink of an eye and I'd do it right now. We need the adrenaline shot for the rest of the season to hit top four.
You weird £#%&!ing @#%&!.

Unread 04-03-2017, 09:35 PM
taff

feels like an international week with all these 'comedy' alts coming out of the woodwork.

Unread 04-03-2017, 09:36 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
You weird £#%&!ing @#%&!.
He's not a wum or a weird @#%&!, he is 12. Or as ethers would say 'are you an infant'

Unread 04-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
A youthful, seething Fergie. That's Keano he's talking about, right?
No.

Maybe if he wins a few national titles and a European competition within the next 5 years.

Quote:
Wasn't that Fergie before he hit the big time with Aberdeen? Terrified his St Mirren players, finished third bottom and got sacked, with the chairman's parting shot that Fergie had "no managerial ability". Keano's record ain't bad at all when compared like for like. And the two are certainly a great character match.
In case you didn't notice, we didn't hire Fergie after he was sacked by st mirren.

Unread 04-03-2017, 10:20 PM
gav81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Who shit, gav
6th is shit.

Unread 04-03-2017, 10:25 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
6th is shit.
Lol.

Unread 04-03-2017, 10:27 PM
gav81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
No you're right, Keane's trophy haul as a manager is second to none you wum c***
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Maybe if he wins a few national titles and a European competition within the next 5 years.
Past success means shit and can be circumstantial. If trophy count was what mattered then Sven and Rafa would be on our shortlist and we'd have been world beaters under Van Gaal. We also wouldn't be 6th right now under Mourinho.

It's more important to have a manager that is right and fits the culture of the club.

Quote:
In case you didn't notice, we didn't hire Fergie after he was sacked by st mirren.
Maybe if we had done we'd have won the league 8 years sooner.

Unread 04-03-2017, 11:15 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Past success means shit and can be circumstantial. If trophy count was what mattered then Sven and Rafa would be on our shortlist and we'd have been world beaters under Van Gaal. We also wouldn't be 6th right now under Mourinho.

It's more important to have a manager that is right and fits the culture of the club.
Can't we have both?

What was there to indicate Fergie fitted the culture of the club after st mirren sacked him? The Fergie we hired after Aberdeen didn't fit our culture anyway, given some of his early comments in the job.

I always thought when Robson retired, we should have got rid of Fergie and got a true United man in.

Quote:
Maybe if we had done we'd have won the league 8 years sooner.
In that case, who have st mirren sacked lately?

Unread 05-03-2017, 12:21 AM
gav81

Quote:
Can't we have both?
Not unless Fergie comes out of retirement.

It's bullshit to say Fergie did not fit the culture of United when he came to the club. I'm not talking about the culture under Atkinson. I'm talking about the culture under Sir Matt; the three pillars of the United way: attacking football, chances to youth and the highest standards.

Quote:
In that case, who have st mirren sacked lately?

Managing St Mirren is not what made Fergie great. It was Fergie's particular blend of characteristics that made him the manager he was: -
  • Hunger and a Winning Mentality
  • Inspiration and Motivation
  • Control and Discipline
  • Fight and Aggression
  • Respect and Fear

Think back when Fergie was here and these are the descriptors most often attributed to him. Combine those traits with the United way and you've got Fergie.

There is one manager who matches every one of those characteristics and the three elements of the United way set out by Sir Matt and Fergie. He is the most successful captain in the club's history, "the driving force, the inspiration, the best reader of the game, the best talker of the game, the biggest winner" (as Fergie put it).

Roy Keane.

Unread 05-03-2017, 12:58 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

So you are 12?

Unread 05-03-2017, 10:32 AM
andyroo

£#%&! me, he's still at it

Unread 05-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Zorg

Bullet points

This guy is good.

Unread 05-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Not unless Fergie comes out of retirement.

It's bullshit to say Fergie did not fit the culture of United when he came to the club. I'm not talking about the culture under Atkinson. I'm talking about the culture under Sir Matt; the three pillars of the United way: attacking football, chances to youth and the highest standards.
I know. Fergie didn't fit all those three pillars. In his first 3 years in the job his comments were similar to Moyes were when he joined United. From interviews and comments I recall - he was about winning at all costs. Didn't care if it's a boring 1-0 so long as we win. He'd be happy to use the offside trap and play negative defensive football to win etc. He was eventually educated into the United way of trying to win with style.

Quote:
Managing St Mirren is not what made Fergie great. It was Fergie's particular blend of characteristics that made him the manager he was: -
  • Control and Discipline
  • Fight and Aggression
  • Respect and Fear

Think back when Fergie was here and these are the descriptors most often attributed to him. Combine those traits with the United way and you've got Fergie.

There is one manager who matches every one of those characteristics and the three elements of the United way set out by Sir Matt and Fergie. He is the most successful captain in the club's history, "the driving force, the inspiration, the best reader of the game, the best talker of the game, the biggest winner" (as Fergie put it).

Roy Keane.
You missed out one very important aspect that both sir Matt and Fergie had and Keane hasn't yet. The one thing that separates the great managers from the others. People skills. Maybe if Keane read Dale Carnegie. Without it, Keane is more Bryan Robson and Graeme Souness than Alex Ferguson. Unless you don't think those two had all the characteristics you attributed to Keane above.

Unread 05-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Drexl

Quote:
  • Control and Discipline
  • Fight and Aggression
  • Respect and Fear
go and get the guitar

Unread 05-03-2017, 07:49 PM
gav81

Quote:
I know. Fergie didn't fit all those three pillars. In his first 3 years in the job his comments were similar to Moyes were when he joined United. From interviews and comments I recall - he was about winning at all costs. Didn't care if it's a boring 1-0 so long as we win. He'd be happy to use the offside trap and play negative defensive football to win etc. He was eventually educated into the United way of trying to win with style.
I'm not sure where you're going with comparing Fergie to Moyes

With the attacking football I don't think it's about style. It's more about taking the game to the opponent, having a real go, taking a risk, etc. I only watched United since '88 but never once saw Fergie play negative/defensive.

Quote:
You missed out one very important aspect that both sir Matt and Fergie had and Keane hasn't yet. The one thing that separates the great managers from the others. People skills. Maybe if Keane read Dale Carnegie. Without it, Keane is more Bryan Robson and Graeme Souness than Alex Ferguson. Unless you don't think those two had all the characteristics you attributed to Keane above.
I think Fergie's people skills are overstated. There are different sides to man-management. When it came to the motivational element for example, Fergie was a master. However, when it came to conflict resolution it was a case of Fergie's way or the highway – he was extremely hardline in that, which was part of keeping the control he coveted.

Even in his Aberdeen days his players lived in constant fear of his anger. There's a story where Fergie raged so much at one of his players for coming off injured that the player ended up punching Fergie, knocking him on his arse.

At United, Gary Neville told how Fergie gave him sleepless nights. Ronaldo told how Fergie made him cry and would swear and kick things around the dressing room in anger – the chairs, the water bottles. I guess that's how the boot found its way to Beckham's head, with Beckham describing Fergie as a "bully" for the way he was treated toward the end of his United career. And Fergie was a bully – to opposition managers, referees, the press, his own players.

Other well documented fall outs occurred with Strachan, Ince, Kanchelskis, Stam, Keane, Nistelrooy, Hargreaves, Rooney. Fergie could hold a grudge and would give players the silent treatment for weeks. So these people skills you're talking about, I'm not sure about that. It's no coincidence that Keane named Clough as the best manager he's worked under due to his "warmth" compared to Fergie's "coldness".

None of this is a criticism of Fergie – he just had a hardline way of dealing with his players and at the end of the day that served him well at United – it worked. But he wasn't ever on the level of Sir Matt, Clough or say, Ancelotti when it came to people skills and getting along with his players. Keano is the same as Fergie: a master motivator but also hardline and not one to back down on his views. It's another aspect where the two are the same.
“I think they are very much the same (Fergie and Keano). When you are that powerful, that enthusiastic, have that kind of temperament and that desire to always be the best, you can clash.”

~Peter Schmeichel
But for all that, there have been a far greater number of times where Fergie and Keano have got it right.

Unread 05-03-2017, 07:51 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
go and get the guitar

Unread 05-03-2017, 07:53 PM
dunk

Shut the £#%&! up gav, ffs. You're talking shit.

Unread 05-03-2017, 07:56 PM
gav81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
go and get the guitar

Unread 05-03-2017, 08:05 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

I wouldn't bin Mourinho for him by any stretch, but to be fair Keano's win percentages in his previous management jobs are about the same as Luis Enrique's in the Roma and Celta jobs he had before he was handed the Barca job.

I appreciate this boards standards are has to have won the European Cup somewhere else but once Ancelotti retires we'll be clean out of names from our Great Managers of the Early 21st Century book to appoint.
Closed Thread