United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Spiffy

Default If we win the league but get beaten by Barca

Would you be happy for Fergie to stay on or would you prefer to say thanks time to move on?

There's no one else who can win the league as often as Fergie, is it time to risk the league dominance to have a good go at the EC or would you rather protect what we have?

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:30 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Would you be happy for Fergie to stay on or would you prefer to say thanks time to move on?

There's no one else who can win the league as often as Fergie, is it time to risk the league dominance to have a good go at the EC or would you rather protect what we have?
If we beat Barca and win the European Cup, will you stop with your bullshit?

Name me a manager that would've done something different in the Nou Camp last night that is available?

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Whalefish

Lippi perhaps. But I think he'd have gone for defensive solidity first and foremost.

I don't think he'd have played Park though, stuck Tevez in as a defensive midfielder and then pushed Rooney out onto the wing again.

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Kim Jong-il

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Name me a manager that would've done something different in the Nou Camp last night that is available?
Kevin Keegan would have taught Barca a masterclass last night.

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:42 AM
edwin

We should never pursue the Champions League at the expense of the Premiership. Far too dangerous a tactic. One Brown/Silvestre £#%&! up in Europe and your season is over.

If we only win the league, I'll still be fairly happy.
Never thought once I'd see United win the league once in my lifetime.

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:42 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Lippi perhaps. But I think he'd have gone for defensive solidity first and foremost.

I don't think he'd have played Park though, stuck Tevez in as a defensive midfielder and then pushed Rooney out onto the wing again.
Is Lippi not Older than Ferguson?

And, although Tevez was operating much deeper than we would've liked, it may have been that he was forced back there to try and get in the game.

I'm sure he wanted to make sure that Anderson was fully fit and fired up for the next 2 and that we just had to win both games, not come from behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Jong-il
Kevin Keegan would have taught Barca a masterclass last night.
I would agree with that.

What score was Newcastle when they went there?

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:47 AM
BarryX

Quote:

I think Fergie wants and deserves to overtake the amount of league titles that the scouse have under their belt. That should be part of his legacy. Bearing a miralce of good health, he has run out of time to overtake the vermin in Europe. So of course he should stay! Unless he doesn't start Anderson next Tuesday, in which case he can £#%&! right back off to Scotland.

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:49 AM
armchair

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
If we beat Barca and win the European Cup, will you stop with your bullshit?

There are loads of managers, they may not be "available" but they'd come. Also, this isn't about last night, it's about the past 10 years. People who continue to make excuses for us going out year after year aren't helping. The fact is there is 1 common demominator and it isn't the ref.

This wasn't meant to be a thread digging at Fergie, it was supposed to guage whether people would be happy just winning the league each year. We need to accept that we've got the best domestic manager in England, not the best manager. Is that enough? For a lot of people it will be.

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teville
I think Fergie wants and deserves to overtake the amount of league titles that the scouse have under their belt. That should be part of his legacy. Bearing a miralce of good health, he has run out of time to overtake the vermin in Europe. So of course he should stay! Unless he doesn't start Anderson next Tuesday, in which case he can £#%&! right back off to Scotland.

Never let it be said that I won't allow a reasoned argument to change my mind. In answer to my own question, surprisingly I'd stick with Fergie. I'd give him the opportunity to put some daylight between us and the scousers in terms of league championships. Let him stay until we've got 19. If by then we're still mis-firing in Europe then we'd have to make a change.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:02 AM
dunk

Quote:
There are loads of managers, they may not be "available" but they'd come. Also, this isn't about last night, it's about the past 10 years. People who continue to make excuses for us going out year after year aren't helping. The fact is there is 1 common demominator and it isn't the ref.

This wasn't meant to be a thread digging at Fergie, it was supposed to guage whether people would be happy just winning the league each year. We need to accept that we've got the best domestic manager in England, not the best manager. Is that enough? For a lot of people it will be.
In that case, then yes, he could stay as long as he likes in my eyes.

I just don't view the ECL as a competition that has much stock to it these days. Haven't for about 5 years. They have £#%&!ed around with the format too much, now it is a joke of a competition. The best team in it generally doesn't win it, neither does the best team in Europe, so what's the point?

It is just a boring distraction from the important league matches most of the time.

Until they change the make-up of the competition, i.e. not allowing any shite that manages to scrape 3rd or 4th place in average leagues, into it, it will be a joke in my eyes.

Unless we win it, of course.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
In that case, then yes, he could stay as long as he likes in my eyes.

I just don't view the ECL as a competition that has much stock to it these days. Haven't for about 5 years. They have £#%&!ed around with the format too much, now it is a joke of a competition. The best team in it generally doesn't win it, neither does the best team in Europe, so what's the point?

It is just a boring distraction from the important league matches most of the time.

Until they change the make-up of the competition, i.e. not allowing any shite that manages to scrape 3rd or 4th place in average leagues, into it, it will be a joke in my eyes.

Unless we win it, of course.

Thanks for your input. I never wanted to cause an argument, have a great day.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Kim Jong-il

Quote:
IWhat score was Newcastle when they went there?
3-2 to Newcastle in 1997

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Paul Mcgrath

0-0 at the Nou Camp and people are calling for Fergies head

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mcgrath
0-0 at the Nou Camp and people are calling for Fergies head
Roll your eyes all you want. You'll no doubt trot out all the usual tried and tested excuses if we fail to win the EC yet again. This time going out to a team generally considered underdogs by everybody. Tell me, do you not care about our inablity to beat the very best? Are you happy failing time after time in the biggest football competition in the world?

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:47 AM
jem

Default fergie

could win the league and euro and get the fa cup result against portsmouth overturned and win that too.

he should still have £#%&!ed off in 2001.

that game yesterday was inexcusable. I can't think of many managers who would have £#%&!ed things up so badly. I think even co-managers steve and sven would have shown more balls and a greater appreciation of the demands of tradition.

winning is never enough. united swagger. they do not £#%&!ing bottle it and pray.

Unread 24-04-2008, 01:02 PM
S/Side.Red

What do you mean "have a good go at the European Cup"?

Semi-finalists two years in a row. We have a great chance of getting to the final this year.

The way you're talking you'd think we'd gone out in the group phase.

But the answer is no, anyway. I would go as far as to say anyone who wants Fergie to leave United at this moment, for footballing reasons at least, is off their £#%&!ing head.

Unread 24-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Father Christmas

Quote:
Roll your eyes all you want. You'll no doubt trot out all the usual tried and tested excuses if we fail to win the EC yet again. This time going out to a team generally considered underdogs by everybody. Tell me, do you not care about our inablity to beat the very best? Are you happy failing time after time in the biggest football competition in the world?
By your definition every manager who doesn't win the CL "fails". So which other failure do you want at Old Trafford?

Unread 24-04-2008, 01:23 PM
captain scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Superb rallying cry for the forum.

I salute you.

Unread 24-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Christmas
By your definition every manager who doesn't win the CL "fails". So which other failure do you want at Old Trafford?
I go through this weekly. Do a search, I've answered this plenty of times. If you can name a manager who has spent as much as Fergie and been in the EC as much and got to the final so rarely, I'll show my arse. Defend him all you like, last night was as per usual. The question is, are you happy for this to continue indefinately?
Closed Thread