United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-05-2013, 01:29 PM
saffers

Default Everton: how the blues made good

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/2fa7ef1e-b...c0.html#slide0

By Simon Kuper
Year after year, Everton outperform much richer and starrier football clubs. Simon Kuper went to Goodison Park to find out why

On the night 11 years ago when Everton last sacked their manager, I happened to be in Madrid interviewing an Everton fan. Steve McManaman, the slender Liverpudlian winger, had risen with Everton’s local rivals Liverpool before joining Real Madrid. That night in 2002, “Macca” was at his zenith. Two months later he would win his second Champions League with Real. But over a beer in a hotel bar just down the road from the giant Bernabeu stadium, still buzzing after helping Real outclass Sparta Prague earlier that evening, he could only talk about one thing: struggling Everton. An inveterate user of his mobile, Macca had just heard that his beloved club had sacked Walter Smith. “I feel for him,” said McManaman. “As a manager you’re only as good as your material. They lost 3-0 last weekend – three personal errors.” What could Smith do without good players?

Macca knew that Everton were headhunting a lower-division manager named David Moyes. From the sofa, he rang a friend at the club to gossip. Then he chuckled wryly: “Why would Moyes go there? Everton are going down. He’s got a better chance of going up with Preston.”

When the burly, rather fearsome-looking Scotsman Moyes took the job in 2002, Everton did look a hopeless case. They were – and are – the second club of England’s poorest city.

No sheikh or oligarch will fund them. Their 121-year-old stadium, Goodison Park, has little scope for VIP boxes, and there aren’t many corporations in Liverpool to hire them anyway. But Moyes – still at Everton today – has turned the club around. Year after year, Everton finish above much richer clubs, including, deliciously, their local rivals Liverpool, whom they visit this Sunday. Everton currently stand sixth in the Premier League, one spot above Liverpool.

They overachieve largely because of their intelligence. Their success suggests that other clubs aren’t using enough brainpower.

One Monday morning in March I visited Everton’s training ground Finch Farm, on Liverpool’s semi-rural outskirts. Two days earlier Everton had beaten Manchester City, possibly the world’s richest club, yet there weren’t hordes of fans waiting outside Finch Farm. In fact, there was nobody waiting there at all.

more...

Unread 09-05-2013, 01:30 PM
believe

fnrat

Unread 09-05-2013, 01:31 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
By Simon Kuper
Year after year, Everton outperform much richer and starrier football clubs. Simon Kuper went to Goodison Park to find out why

On the night 11 years ago when Everton last sacked their manager, I happened to be in Madrid interviewing an Everton fan. Steve McManaman, the slender Liverpudlian winger, had risen with Everton’s local rivals Liverpool before joining Real Madrid. That night in 2002, “Macca” was at his zenith. Two months later he would win his second Champions League with Real. But over a beer in a hotel bar just down the road from the giant Bernabeu stadium, still buzzing after helping Real outclass Sparta Prague earlier that evening, he could only talk about one thing: struggling Everton. An inveterate user of his mobile, Macca had just heard that his beloved club had sacked Walter Smith. “I feel for him,” said McManaman. “As a manager you’re only as good as your material. They lost 3-0 last weekend – three personal errors.” What could Smith do without good players?

Macca knew that Everton were headhunting a lower-division manager named David Moyes. From the sofa, he rang a friend at the club to gossip. Then he chuckled wryly: “Why would Moyes go there? Everton are going down. He’s got a better chance of going up with Preston.”

When the burly, rather fearsome-looking Scotsman Moyes took the job in 2002, Everton did look a hopeless case. They were – and are – the second club of England’s poorest city.

No sheikh or oligarch will fund them. Their 121-year-old stadium, Goodison Park, has little scope for VIP boxes, and there aren’t many corporations in Liverpool to hire them anyway. But Moyes – still at Everton today – has turned the club around. Year after year, Everton finish above much richer clubs, including, deliciously, their local rivals Liverpool, whom they visit this Sunday. Everton currently stand sixth in the Premier League, one spot above Liverpool.

They overachieve largely because of their intelligence. Their success suggests that other clubs aren’t using enough brainpower.

One Monday morning in March I visited Everton’s training ground Finch Farm, on Liverpool’s semi-rural outskirts. Two days earlier Everton had beaten Manchester City, possibly the world’s richest club, yet there weren’t hordes of fans waiting outside Finch Farm. In fact, there was nobody waiting there at all.
not reading all that.

Unread 09-05-2013, 01:31 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
not reading all that.
well quoted though you £#%&!ing #@&%!.

Unread 09-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Zorg

will skim read bits of that

Unread 09-05-2013, 01:33 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
well quoted though you £#%&!ing #@&%!.

Unread 09-05-2013, 02:53 PM
tetrisblock

Very good find Saffers!

I don't think anyone on here would have been aware of that side of Moyes before reading that article! Seems like there is always actually a plan, as opposed to some games in the past few years where we have looked like a team thrown together.

Unread 09-05-2013, 03:39 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrisblock
Very good find Saffers!

I don't think anyone on here would have been aware of that side of Moyes before reading that article! Seems like there is always actually a plan, as opposed to some games in the past few years where we have looked like a team thrown together.
You would think he would have managed to win at OT/Arsenal/SB/Anfield just the ONCE in 50 attempts if he was that good? Wouldn't you??

Unread 09-05-2013, 06:37 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrisblock
Very good find Saffers!

Feeling very good about this.

We're gonna have a midfield again.

Unread 09-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Read that earlier. Made me feel a little better about things.

Unread 09-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Blagger

Quote:
Feeling very good about this.

We're gonna have a midfield again.

Unread 09-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Sparky***

Phenomenal post, Saffers.

One thing for certain there is no stopping him. Moyes will soon be here. And i for one welcome our new bug-eyed overlord, i'd like to remind him that as a trusted internet personality i can be helpful in rounding up others, to toil in the theatre of sugarcaves.

Unread 09-05-2013, 06:51 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Phenomenal post, Saffers.

One thing for certain there is no stopping him. Moyes will soon be here. And i for one welcome our new bug-eyed overlord, i'd like to remind him that as a trusted internet personality i can be helpful in rounding up others, to toil in the theatre of sugarcaves.
Fact of the matter is, moyes' teams used to routinely embarrass our no midfield having squad for the last 3/4 years. He will know it needs improving given he specifically sent out teams to target that very weakness.

Very hard not to see us improving if we get a couple of midfielders in, im remembering games like southampton at home where we were pretty much holding on for dear life ffs...the time was right.

Unread 09-05-2013, 06:55 PM
baines

Quote:
Fact of the matter is, moyes' teams used to routinely embarrass our no midfield having squad for the last 3/4 years. He will know it needs improving given he specifically sent out teams to target that very weakness.

Very hard not to see us improving if we get a couple of midfielders in, im remembering games like southampton at home where we were pretty much holding on for dear life ffs...the time was right.
Scary thing is though mate, Moyes targets are very weird ha. He was looking at someone from FC Twente called Leroy Fer, he is meant to be a good player but we didn't have money to sign him.

My point is, the people you sign may be unknown but will be class. Good luck!

Also, You've probably seen me post on this about his negative side. Be aware you will have EVERY man in the box when you are defending a corner.

Unread 09-05-2013, 06:58 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baines
Scary thing is though mate, Moyes targets are very weird ha. He was looking at someone from FC Twente called Leroy Fer, he is meant to be a good player but we didn't have money to sign him.

My point is, the people you sign may be unknown but will be class. Good luck!

Also, You've probably seen me post on this about his negative side. Be aware you will have EVERY man in the box when you are defending a corner.
Didn't Fer fail a medical, or was that just an excuse?

Unread 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM
baines

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Didn't Fer fail a medical, or was that just an excuse?
We didn't have enough cash mate.
Everton wanted to split the money because of his previous injuries and because we didn't have all the cash to pay.
Lets say they wanted 10million, Moyes wanted to give them 3million upfront and then 2mil every other year.

Unread 09-05-2013, 07:10 PM
baines

I don't suppose you know anything about Mike Phelan and our assistant Steve Round?
Is Moyes taking his backroom staff to united or are you keeping them all?

Unread 09-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Rhodzy

I like the cut of this Baines jib.

Unread 09-05-2013, 07:15 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:

Said that exact thing to my old man earlier. Moyes will know our midfield is shit because he knows it is our biggest weakness.

Unread 09-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Zorg

Quote:

By Simon Kuper

more...

I'm seeing more and more why they've gone for him. It might just work.
Although I'd have reservations about this

Quote:
Moyes, by contrast, tailors Everton’s style to each new opponent. He works out what the opposition does – and then tries to stop it.
United are best not worrying too much about 'stopping' the opposition, especially if it's Stoke and teams like that.

If he can adapt to that, which he probably can, he'll be alright I reckon.
Closed Thread