United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 02-02-2024, 12:22 PM
silv

Default Biggest wastes of talent

I see beanz is off to South Korea.

Who are some of the biggest wastes of talent in your eyes?

Unread 02-02-2024, 12:24 PM
no fun

Ravel

Unread 02-02-2024, 12:24 PM
Chorlton74

for United, Morrison, Martial and Pogba. clearly talented footballers, but overshadowed by the fact they are absolute whoppers.

Unread 02-02-2024, 12:25 PM
NedKelly

Alexandre Pato

Unread 02-02-2024, 12:26 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
for United, Morrison and Pogba. clearly talented footballers, but overshadowed by the fact they are absolute whoppers.
What was going on at this time:

Unread 02-02-2024, 12:30 PM
Whip Hubley

-Not a waste through lack of application, but through injuries - Pato.

Obviously Ronaldo falls into that category as well, an injury free Ronaldo is the greatest player of all time imo....

Ravel.

Pogba. Don't need to go over it again but he had generational talent that was never truly fulfilled.

Cantona retiring early.

Unread 02-02-2024, 12:30 PM
marlo

depends on how you see waste of talent …

I wouldn’t say Lingard wasted his talent. I’d say he made the most of it!

he is about 15m up, relatively famous and lives well all without being exceptional at his job!

Pogba wasted his best years at United.

Unread 02-02-2024, 12:31 PM
Patty_b

Ravel.

Pogba to a degree, won a World Cup and some domestic trophies, made a shit load of cash and won't think he wasted anything when he's done for good. But had the ability to be an absolute great if he could've been arsed. Will be completely forgotten about apart from popping up in a few youtube highlight reels and 'Top 10 footballer drug cheats' videos in a few years.

Unread 02-02-2024, 12:52 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo

he is about 15m up, relatively famous and lives well all without being exceptional at his job!

Well, hes 31 and now playing in South Korea. Yes he's done well financially but hes seen as a joke now.

Unread 02-02-2024, 12:56 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

You spelled 'in Dubai' wrong

Agree re lingard though, he was pretty £#%&!ing average yet took a wage from us for the best part of a decade. fair play.

Unread 02-02-2024, 01:01 PM
est.1878

Squire collabing with Gallagher

Unread 02-02-2024, 01:09 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

anthony le tallec

Unread 02-02-2024, 01:17 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Well, hes 31 and now playing in South Korea. Yes he's done well financially but hes seen as a joke now.
He can be seen as a joke By some but his family and friends would see it differently.

Remember you can have a love for football but you also want to make money and enjoy your life.
He is doing go.

He is still associated with Manchester United, a “celebrity”, rich, young, healthy….
Picking up a little bag in Korea for 2 years is nothing to look down on.

Not everyone is gonna be the best or perfect. He hasn’t wasted his talent at all. He has used it and made a decent name for himself.

At youth level he was no better than those a before him like chris eagles or slyvan Ebanks Blake… but he has played for England, played in world cups, score in club cup finals and 15-20m up!
He has done very very well for himself.

Unread 02-02-2024, 01:22 PM
Sparky***

Ravel Morrison was the most talented player of his generation. Sad that he wasted it.

Other than that I’d say Greenwood.

Unread 02-02-2024, 01:26 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
He can be seen as a joke By some but his family and friends would see it differently.

Remember you can have a love for football but you also want to make money and enjoy your life.
He is doing go.

He is still associated with Manchester United, a “celebrity”, rich, young, healthy….

Not everyone is gonna be the best or perfect. He hasn’t wasted his talent at all. He has used it and made a decent name for himself.

At youth level he was no better than those a before him like chris eagles or slyvan Ebanks Blake… but he has played for England, played in world cups, score in club cup finals and 15-20m up!
Agree with this.

I think he could have achieved more with a bit more focus, but he certainly has done well for himself financially, has scored important goals including in cup finals, and has a finger thing. Certainly doesn’t warrant appearing in this thread.

Unread 02-02-2024, 01:26 PM
est.1878

Paul Le Guen

Unread 02-02-2024, 01:43 PM
marlo

I never even thought Lingard was any good and i used to be a big academy fan.

A player from United that i thought would have at least have a good premiership career was this lad called David Jones. Left footed box to box midfielder. Used to float around the championship but as reserve level i thought he was unbelievable while keeping thjngs simple.

A player who did better than he should given he had next to no talent was macheda. Didn’t do much but even that was more than his talent deserved.! He was bullshit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Ravel Morrison was the most talented player of his generation. Sad that he wasted it.

Other than that I’d say Greenwood.
greenwood should be top 5 players in the league right now, that’s a real sad one.

The crazy thing is how you know can’t even mimick him a little but and just be even half decent from the left.

Unread 02-02-2024, 01:43 PM
Bobby C

I know he was a blue (I'm a red, don't be a dick), but Paul Lake

Had a dead man's cartilage fitted in his knee iirc. He would have have been sorted today, closest thing I've ever seen to Gazza

Unread 02-02-2024, 01:49 PM
jem

Quote:
this lad called David Jones.
the new bryan robson.

Unread 02-02-2024, 02:01 PM
silv

Quote:

He is doing go.

He could be playing in the premier league still, if he could be arsed and wasn't such a prize tit.