United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 22-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Whip Hubley

Default Ideas & questions to put forward in a meeting with Chris Davies MEP

I'm in the process of arranging a meeting the north west MEP, Christ Davies. Convenient for me actually because his office is 5 minutes away

I need any ideas, thoughts and questions to put to him with regards to the European governments role in all this - basically anything they can do to help and I presume we could attack from a legal angle.

I can come up with a bit myself to take in but I'm trying to be concise as possible as I probably won't have long

Cheers guys

Unread 22-01-2010, 09:13 AM
waynes ear's

Default Re: Ideas & questions to put forward in a meeting with Chris Davies MEP

barm or muffin? Is middleton classed as manchester?

Seriously though, could football clubs be protected from foreign ownership? Im sure the bundesliga have something like this in place.

Also, what is in place to stop money being siphoned out of clubs when, as the case with united, they are so much in debt?

Unread 22-01-2010, 09:22 AM
neworder

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's

Seriously though, could football clubs be protected from foreign ownership? Im sure the bundesliga have something like this in place.

Also, what is in place to stop money being siphoned out of clubs when, as the case with united, they are so much in debt?

Unread 22-01-2010, 10:11 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's

barm

no

Unread 22-01-2010, 11:02 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
barm

no
Spot on. But not helping mike

Unread 22-01-2010, 11:30 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
I'm in the process of arranging a meeting the north west MEP, Christ Davies. Convenient for me actually because his office is 5 minutes away

I need any ideas, thoughts and questions to put to him with regards to the European governments role in all this - basically anything they can do to help and I presume we could attack from a legal angle.

I can come up with a bit myself to take in but I'm trying to be concise as possible as I probably won't have long

Cheers guys
Tell him you expect miracles

Unread 22-01-2010, 01:43 PM
redhegemony

Ask whether the EU should recognise the importance of sport in terms of its contribution to the community and how this should then be recognised in terms of the community interest eg fans on the Board, preventing takeovers.

Don't get into a foreign ownership argument but reverse it into protecting Community interest

Unread 24-01-2010, 09:21 AM
borsuk

basically the questions i asked in the emails thread.

specificially, given he's an mep:

1. ask him if he's famiiar with uefa's financial fair play initiative
2. ask him if he's familiar with andy burnham's (mp for leigh and the previous minister for culture) comments on debt levels in football
3. ask him if he supports the above
4. make the point that football is a business but is also more than a business and represent a crucial part of the local and national community. as such, it already enjoys special status in certain areas (particularly who can play for whom, transfers etc.). suggest that recent development show that some form of protection is needed in other areas as well - particularly debt levels. ask him if he would be in favour of european-wide regulation to ensure (a) the protection of this cultural good and (b) a level playing field to maintain the integrity of the sport. if so, ask how it could be brought about and what could be done.