United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Before West Ham they'd won 7 and drawn 1 out of 10 league games. One of the defeats coming with 10 men for most of the match. The other against a flying Spurs side. For the limitations we have, it's been a decent effort. Us having such limitations after a £300m spend is more of an issue than effort or desire.
Desire? Sure.

Criminal lack of preparation, abysmal match tactics and god awful coaching is what i was getting at.

If you want to play in the champions league; you acknowledge that West Ham are good at set pieces yet you systematically fail to prepare your side to deal with them then that's just abysmal. You obviously didn't care enough to do anything about it. Still i'm sure he came away with some bloody good notes on his clipboard.

Unread 13-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Before West Ham they'd won 7 and drawn 1 out of 10 league games. One of the defeats coming with 10 men for most of the match. The other against a flying Spurs side. For the limitations we have, it's been a decent effort. Us having such limitations after a £300m spend is more of an issue than effort or desire.
Yep. For all the criticism, in don't think effort is one of them. We're careless, stupid and we lack a lot in many areas, but that's not the same as not working.

We're just not good enough. The squad isn't good enough and the manager can't get the squad playing well enough anyway.

Unread 13-05-2016, 06:38 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Desire? Sure.

Criminal lack of preparation, abysmal match tactics and god awful coaching is what i was getting at.

If you want to play in the champions league; you acknowledge that West Ham are good at set pieces yet you systematically fail to prepare your side to deal with them then that's just abysmal. You obviously didn't care enough to do anything about it. Still i'm sure he came away with some bloody good notes on his clipboard.
Difficult to prepare for set pieces when your 'best' CB is a 5'11 @#%&!hole.

Unread 13-05-2016, 06:38 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Desire? Sure.

LvG spent most of the pre match buildup banging on about set pieces. They had prepared. You tell from Rooney's reaction to Valencia giving away the free kick for the winner that they knew the consequences. But it's difficult to coach stupid out of people.

Plus West Ham are really £#%&!ing good at set pieces.

The desire, committment, passion etc is all easy armchair buzzword stuff. Sometimes stupid is overlooked.

Unread 13-05-2016, 06:40 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Difficult to prepare for set pieces when your 'best' CB is a 5'11 @#%&!hole.
Manager shouldn't play him there and should have bought a better one then.

Unread 13-05-2016, 06:42 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
LvG spent most of the pre match buildup banging on about set pieces. They had prepared. You tell from Rooney's reaction to Valencia giving away the free kick for the winner that they knew the consequences. But it's difficult to coach stupid out of people.

Plus West Ham are really £#%&!ing good at set pieces.

The desire, committment, passion etc is all easy armchair buzzword stuff. Sometimes stupid is overlooked.
As I said right after the game, too many of our players are both stupid *and* soft. Its not an ideal combination.

Unread 13-05-2016, 06:45 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
As I said right after the game, too many of our players are both stupid *and* soft. Its not an ideal combination.
Yep. And (told ya so moment) I've said it for months: we have too many errors and £#%&! ups in the side to put a run together to get us where we need to be.

As Siders says, no amount of prep can account for players doing stupid things. Where we disagree is that I think that's LVG's fault. They're his idiots.

Anyway, this is in danger of turning into yet another LVG IN/OUT Thread

£#%&! Swansea. They ain't winning regardless and nor should we rely on them.

Unread 13-05-2016, 06:45 PM
Tiberian

Fellaini would have played if available, almost solely for the purpose of defending set pieces.

Blind has a decent season, but he is always going to be targeted from set plays, a fit Jones would be an option for that type of game. Rojo is another weak link in the air. And on the ground.

Unread 13-05-2016, 06:48 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Fellaini would have played if available, almost solely for the purpose of defending set pieces.

Blind has a decent season, but he is always going to be targeted from set plays, a fit Jones would be an option for that type of game. Rojo is another weak link in the air. And on the ground.

Unread 13-05-2016, 06:48 PM
woody78

Quote:
Desire? Sure.

Was it bad coaching and tactics or was it just idiotic decisions by players ?
Van Gaal must have mentioned not go give any silly free kicks away .
Herrera and Valencia obviously didn't listen .

Unread 13-05-2016, 06:49 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
not after 37 games. but we might after 38.

incidentally, deserving it is not the ultimate criteria needed to attain it.

for example, if liverpool win the subsidiary plate off the back of no top 4 and a failed dope test will they deserve CL football? no. will they get it? yes.
er... no. whatever happens at the week-end, we won't deserve cl football. I understand we might get it anyway, but I wouldn't put money on it happening. in fact, if I had to make a bet, it would that united and city both lose.

Unread 13-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Yes they will. They will deservedly win a trophy that grants them a CL place.
£#%&! off. their best player against us failed a dope test after the 2nd leg. he then scored a crucial equaliser late in the next round.

the only thing they deserved was to be kicked the £#%&! out of the competition.

Unread 13-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody78
Was it bad coaching and tactics or was it just idiotic decisions by players ?
Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? When you intentionally leave everything up to the player's interpretation on the pitch (as van gaal says he does) and they continually £#%&! it up, wouldn't you think maybe its time to use a different approach?

You can explain away players doing things like a bad backpass that leads to a goal - or a freak own goal as bad decisions. But when your defensive line looks like a graphic equaliser on a 1980s stereo then it's time to £#%&!ing have a word

Unread 13-05-2016, 07:03 PM
saffers

Quote:
I do blame them. Unfortunately is the spoiled, entitled nonsense we said we wouldn't be if we had some tough years. United fans have got to stop feeling so sorry for themselves. Nobody else cares. We follow the greatest club in the world and most of us have known nothing but success. You don't have to be happy, but losing interest now
Its not the failure, but rather the manner of the failure - and the complete lack of accountability.

TBF woodward did warn us in 2013 about it being ok to not win the league as long as sponsorships rolled in, "look at liverpool" etc

Unread 13-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian

fellaini would have given free kicks away a lot higher up the pitch that that £#%&!ing #@&%! herrera does.

Unread 13-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
fellaini would have given free kicks away a lot higher up the pitch that that £#%&!ing #@&%! herrera does.
Herrera was abysmal, one of our worst individual performances of the season. Very disappointing year from him, especially after the strong spell he had towards the end of last season.

Unread 13-05-2016, 07:25 PM
woody78

Quote:
Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? When you intentionally leave everything up to the player's interpretation on the pitch (as van gaal says he does) and they continually £#%&! it up, wouldn't you think maybe its time to use a different approach?

You can explain away players doing things like a bad backpass that leads to a goal - or a freak own goal as bad decisions. But when your defensive line looks like a graphic equaliser on a 1980s stereo then it's time to £#%&!ing have a word
It's not mutually exclusive obviously and i agree we need a different approach , but i was far more annoyed at the players ( Herrera and Valencia in particular ) than Van gaal on Tuesday .

Unread 13-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
£#%&! off.
I will not.

Unread 13-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
I will not.
you will not talk about sakho's failed dope test and the part he played in their subsidiary plate run? yeah i noticed.

Unread 13-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
you will not talk about sakho's failed dope test and the part he played in their subsidiary plate run? yeah i noticed.
Seeing what you want to see again.
Closed Thread