United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-05-2023, 07:14 PM
Weghorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzare
I will watch the one mile parade, the whole fanbase in situ, compare it to ours, and laugh my %@#$&!s off.
Yep, let’s laugh at Citeh buying the treble as they breached 100 PL rules and got away with it as their fans become even more unbearable.

Unread 18-05-2023, 07:19 PM
GBMUFC2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzare
Never write United off.

There was a treble on 22 years before we did it, and we stopped it.

I have zero confidence that us or Inter will stop the inevitable, but I will watch the one mile parade, the whole fanbase in situ, compare it to ours, and laugh my %@#$&!s off.

And the other one of course. So to stop 3 trebles would be....I`ll let you work it out

Unread 18-05-2023, 08:26 PM
Chorlton74

Why are the media continually referring to it as a historical treble like its never been done before?

Unread 18-05-2023, 08:38 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
Why are the media continually referring to it as a historical treble like its never been done before?
Because the hospitality at the council stadium Is of a very high standard

Unread 18-05-2023, 11:49 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
I’ve been pretending not to care for a few weeks and now I genuinely just….don’t. It doesn’t really matter.

I can remember going into 6th form the morning of 27th May 1999, still pissed after being in the fountain in Albert Square, buzzing and eager to wind up any City fans. They took it well if I remember correctly, as we were basically playing completely different sports at the time. Will replicate that energy and silently celebrate any stabbings.
Interesting reading this old article about the parade in 1999
I forgot city fans had to queue for the league one playoff final while we were parading the treble

Quote:

Oh wherefore come ye forth in triumph from the North, With your hands and your feet and your raiment all red?

- Lord Macaulay, The Battle of Naseby

Only a Rip van Winkle (or maybe a City fan) would have dared ask the poet's question in Manchester last night, as the city went simply red to welcome home its triple cup winners.

Balancing the fat, silver tableware on the top railing of their double decker, Fergie and his buddies threaded a seven-mile victory parade through cheering lines of supporters all the way from Sale's comfy suburbs to the rebuilt bomb sites by the cathedral.

The roars went off register when the bus suddenly left the Manchester A-Z map on to "Sir Alex Ferguson Way", a previously unknown street by the club's Old Trafford ground marked with suspiciously new signs. "We had to do something dramatic," said Danny, one of the urban guerrillas responsible. "The other idea was to feed red food to the police horses so we'd get celebration droppings, but that was beyond even our powers."

The bus, marked Excursion and with the route-number 2-1 in tribute to the stylish, scarcely credible United goals in the final minutes against Bayern Munich, crept at walking pace much of the way to allow as many direct grins, waves and blown kisses as possible between players and almost delirious fans.

Dwight Yorke waved a Churchillian cigar, and team officials, who had earlier voiced doubts about an official welcome because of drunken violence after last week's FA Cup victory, were grinning from ear to ear. As well as the universal "Sir" Alex, titles were showered on players all the way from banners and placards - Becks for King, Prince Schmeichel Please Stay - along with justified gloating about a sultry north-western afternoon when you could have made a Spanish omelette on the pavement outside Trafford town hall.

"They've brought Barcelona with them," said Peter Balmforth, sprucing up the red hot pokers planted as the council's contribution to Manchester's monochrome culture. "Everything's going right for Manchester all at once."

The sense of a city on top spread well beyond the long scarlet snake approaching half a million people and taking the bus over two hours to pass to backwaters such as Ceylon Street, half a terrace standing like broken red teeth off Oldham Road.

Renee Drinkwater's inflatable FA Cup in front of her nets and banner slung between bedroom windows had a special significance; pointing over a wall graffiti'd with MUFCs at a mess of lank grass, she said: "That's where the Loco Sheds lads first played."

Nicknamed the Heathens, the Loco Sheds XI were the first Man United, billed as the Newton Heath Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway FC until they almost went bankrupt in 1902, and a rescue consortium of Manchester businessmen demanded a snappier name.

Across Oldham Road, most of the streets on the Heathfield estate are named after Busby Babes who died in the Munich air disaster of 1958. "The whole street was down on its knees praying before injury time," said Mrs Drinkwater, whose five sons were off to town, with Red Devil horns and scarves, to join the mile-long street party filling Deansgate from side to side.

Across the railway sidings, a plaque marks the site of the first Man U clubhouse on the wall of Moxton Brook comprehensive, where classes and GCSEs went ahead though everyone was fretting to get down to town. In the city centre, grown-up self-discipline had collapsed a lot earlier and red shirts began to outnumber suits by 4pm.

It was not an evening of universal bliss, however, and anyone wanting relief from crimson, carmine, magenta and the rest only had to go to Maine Road for a dose of blue. Buying tickets for Man City's crucial playoff at Wembley for a first division place, Graham Hudson said: "I hate it, I hate it."

His friend, Phil Bolton, tried to be more charitable "At least the cups are coming to Manchester" but they roared off anyway with blue Man City flags through their sunroof, to annoy as many Reds fans as they could find.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/...tinwainwright1

Unread 19-05-2023, 01:14 AM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
His friend, Phil Bolton, tried to be more charitable "At least the cups are coming to Manchester"
Phil knows the score...

Unread 03-06-2023, 06:30 PM
est.1878

Treble deniar trials to commence asap

Unread 03-06-2023, 06:33 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Did you just bump this ? Like right now...?

User cp, it's red, don't bother checking....

Unread 03-06-2023, 08:23 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Did you just bump this ? Like right now...?

User cp, it's red, don't bother checking....
Bedankt

Best people wake up to reality right now. You know it deep down

Unread 03-06-2023, 08:28 PM
Jethro

Genuinely not arsed

Unread 03-06-2023, 08:31 PM
Sparky***

Yeah it’s happening.

What a shit world.

Unread 03-06-2023, 08:40 PM
M45

£#%&! their phoney treble reds. It’ll never mean what ours did

Unread 03-06-2023, 08:46 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
£#%&!ing hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45
£#%&! their phoney treble reds. It’ll never mean what ours did

£#%&!ing hell.

£#%&! off.

Unread 03-06-2023, 09:03 PM
Ethers

Knocking me sick

Unread 03-06-2023, 09:05 PM
M45

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
£#%&!ing hell.

£#%&!ing hell.

£#%&! off.
So you think it will?

You £#%&! off

Unread 03-06-2023, 09:30 PM
windy waffles

I consolidate myself in the fact it was harder to win the CL when we won it ...

Unread 03-06-2023, 11:22 PM
avocado

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Unread 03-06-2023, 11:41 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Interesting reading this old article about the parade in 1999
I forgot city fans had to queue for the league one playoff final while we were parading the treble
One of the washed up Gallagher @#%&!s said that citehs treble will be better than ours cos they get to destroy us (oh, RLY?) on the way.

Completely Heyselling the fact they were struggling to scrape their way out of the 3rd tier of English football at the time we won the lot & therefore citeh weren't even a blip on our radar.

Unread 03-06-2023, 11:56 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
One of the washed up Gallagher @#%&!s said that citehs treble will be better than ours cos they get to destroy us (oh, RLY?) on the way.

Completely Heyselling the fact they were struggling to scrape their way out of the 3rd tier of English football at the time we won the lot & therefore citeh weren't even a blip on our radar.
They’re the quintessential bert’s that two.

Unread 03-06-2023, 11:58 PM
pc6090

We should re-instate the ticker flag with it just rolling over to 115
Closed Thread