United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default Munich Tunnel (Who chose the name?)

The Busby Babes Tunnel would be better - celebrate the team.

The Munich Tunnel is a bit wrong if you ask me.

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Ed Sullivan

sounds a bit morbid.

Nice gesture overall though

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Sparky***

why is it a tunnel?

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:17 PM
£#%&! KFC

agreed should have been the Busby babes Tunnel

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Sparky***

what tunnel? I've obviously missed something.

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:20 PM
In 76 now this is true

Didnt initially like the name, but having seen the events and tv coverage all week and what was said at the Service today, the name is very fitting.
The word "Munich" has always been one of those words that City fans or Scousers label at United, but to hear Charlton speak about Munich and what the name Munich is synonymous with, the word has taken on a different light.

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:25 PM
naes_sean

you can please some people most of the time
you can please most people some of the time
you can't please all people all of the time.

or something like that

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:26 PM
programmes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In 76 now this is true
Didnt initially like the name, but having seen the events and tv coverage all week and what was said at the Service today, the name is very fitting.
The word "Munich" has always been one of those words that City fans or Scousers label at United, but to hear Charlton speak about Munich and what the name Munich is synonymous with, the word has taken on a different light.
My thoughts exactly.

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky6899
what tunnel? I've obviously missed something.
The one that runs through South Stand, next to the railway

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester
The one that runs through South Stand, next to the railway
riiiight. Ok.

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:33 PM
1MUFC

I like it, wind yer necks in.

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Tumescent Throb

Yeah the gesture is there, just felt a bit off. The plaque and the clock seemed to go unnoticed when I was up there a bit ago; the number of people taking photos on their phones of the flowers and the pictures on the Munich Tunnel walls made it a very perculiar spectacle.

Glad to see the walls tell the story of what the team achieved, and not just their demise and United's Pheonix-like rise. All in all it's been handled pretty well.

Nice to see everyone United; didn't hear a single whinge in the half hour I was there - of which 10 minutes stood almost alone at the Busby tribute round the corner from where I sit. Walked past him plenty times but never passed the time of day with him properly until tonight

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:47 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
The Munich Tunnel is a bit wrong if you ask me.
you're right. it should have been called the people's tunnel. and maybe tony blair could have revealed the plaque. or abaf.

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
you're right. it should have been called the people's tunnel. and maybe tony blair could have revealed the plaque. or abaf.
I think you may be mixing your plaques

Unread 06-02-2008, 11:57 PM
ScarFace

If it was called the Busby Babes Tunnel, that's just for the team. More than just United players died and are rememberd in that memorial, so calling it what it's called is better.

Unread 07-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_Tier2
bizarre spectacle..... have a pic of last years somewhere on my computer.... a few humble bunches of flowers in comparison

but a bunch of flowers and message from liam whelans siblings.... choked me up a bit
I can imagine it did; maybe that's why I shied away from it partly tbh. But the camera phone mob were threatening to arrouse the devil lurking fairly near the surface so I kept my distance. Easy to take the plaque there for granted, but it's very powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
If it was called the Busby Babes Tunnel, that's just for the team. More than just United players died and are rememberd in that memorial, so calling it what it's called is better.
Maybe, but we'll see............. might settle to it yet

Unread 07-02-2008, 04:38 AM
shenwen

is there anything at all about today (yesterday) that people on here won't £#%&!ing moan about?

It seems that no matter what name was chosen/plaque unveiled/memorial service held, someone on here would find a £#%&!ing thread to pick at.

top reds. united.

Unread 07-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Munich tunnel is just shite and i'd love to know who came up with that idea. IMO this has all gone too far.

Unread 07-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Crumps

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
In complete agreement with you mate.

Unread 07-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy
Munich tunnel is just shite and i'd love to know who came up with that idea. IMO this has all gone too far.
Thank god no one gives a £#%&! what you think.
Closed Thread