View Poll Results: Who's the better player
Henry 10 22.73%
Giggs 30 68.18%
about equal 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 14-01-2007, 12:23 AM
Grimson

Er, have to say he's definitely right about Southall over Schmeichel. Southall, in fact, is the best goalkeeper who ever lived. Better than Banks, Yashin, Schmeichel, Jennings, any of them. If you don't remember the days when a fairly ordinary Everton side actually won trophies in the 80s, during the height of Liverpool's powers, believe me when I say much of it was down to Southall. He did everything Schmikes ever did, but behind a vastly inferior side.

I also have to agree about Henry. Not about the medals - World Cups are decided on penalties, France only won theirs after beating Italy in a shootout - but on pure footballing ability.

Not so sure about Barnes - great player, but he couldn't shoot or head a ball, and also played before the foreign influx of similarly skilled players, which might have made him look a bit better than he would look were he playing today.

Unread 14-01-2007, 02:14 PM
LushyLouTheLesbianShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I also have to agree about Henry. Not about the medals - World Cups are decided on penalties, France only won theirs after beating Italy in a shootout - but on pure footballing ability.
could have sworn they beat Brazil 3-0 and lost to Italy on pens

Unread 15-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushyLouTheLesbianShoe
could have sworn they beat Brazil 3-0 and lost to Italy on pens

"France only won theirs" should have clued you in that I was talking about 1998. No matter, I'll take the blame for not being clear enough.

I said "World Cups are decided on penalties." I didn't mean the Final is always decided by pens. I meant the winner/runner up almost always has had to win a penalty shootout (aka lottery, roulette, etc) to reach or win the Final.

1986 - Argentina beats West Germany in the Final. West Germany eventually reached the Final after beating Mexico on pens in the quarterfinals.

1990 - West Germany beats England on pens in the Semi, goes on to win Final.

1994 - Brazil beats Italy in pens in the Final.

1998 - France beats Italy in pens in the quarterfinals, goes on to win Final.

2002 - The exception. No pens involving Brazil or Germany.

2006 - Italy beats France in pens in the Final.

That's why I feel that despite the World Cup obviously being the biggest and most celebrated tournament, to me a winner's medal doesn't automatically trump everything else (especially not a Champion's League winner's medal) because almost every World Cup in the last two decades has been unduly influenced by the lottery of penalties.

Unread 15-01-2007, 09:10 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
Wel that's settled then.

Has he really only won one player of the month award in his 16 or so years at United?
He hasn't won many individual rewards because he is a team player.

I'd rather have Giggs in the team than the most overrated player in the premiership (that's Henry for those that know £#%&! all about football) any day.

Giggs can win a game for you, Henry very rarely does.
Closed Thread