United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-01-2007, 03:24 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
If can win at the Emirates, we will win the league.

We will win at Anfailed cos we always do. Stamford will be the test but that is no longer a fortress.
We want to be in a position where a win at Chelsea is not necessary. Personally 5 points from Liverpool/Chelsea/ and Arsenal would do me.

If we win all our remaining home games we will have at least 78 points(57+21=78), 12-14 points away from home would give us a real chance of the league and we should be capable of getting 4 wins out of our 8 away games

Unread 14-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
We want to be in a position where a win at Chelsea is not necessary. Personally 5 points from Liverpool/Chelsea/ and Arsenal would do me.

If we win all our remaining home games we will have at least 78 points(57+21=78), 12-14 points away from home would give us a real chance of the league and we should be capable of getting 4 wins out of our 8 away games
We can lose 2 of them 3 bigguns I reckon and still nudge over 90pts

Unread 14-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
We can lose 2 of them 3 bigguns I reckon and still nudge over 90pts
Chelsea can get a maximum of 96 points, they are unlikely to do this given their form and simply the chances of winning 15 in a row being not great. 92 points should win it this year. We should win every home game, most of the team we play are in the bottom half, and the games at Portsmouth, Fulham, Everton and City and Spurs can all be won, difficult though they are.

Title is almost within reach, but of course there will be twists, unexpected points will be dropped by both teams.

Unread 14-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
fair enough - there was some exaggeration going on there. i'm certainly not suggesting that the team never changed. still, the formation changes that fergie has done in the last few seasons have been much deeper and more fundamental than in the past, particularly up front. it was two strikers from four viable options, where it has been one and support quite often in the last few years. or are you suggesting that our style of play has not changed over the last few seasons?
We have always played split strikers with one dropping deeper to support and link with the midfield - Eric,Yorke and Teddy all did this. We have never really been a straight 4-4-2 side...it's always actually been a 4-4-1-1.

You're quite right in most of what you say..the biggest difference in the last few years was the 4-5-1/4-3-3 where it was one striker up on his own with the main support coming from the wide men and with three central midfielders..this formation has not been very good to watch, or very successful.

However,we did often play with the support striker coming into the midfield when we were up against it..thus playing a form of 4-5-1..a very different version though than the one we've suffered watching for a few years.

Unread 14-01-2007, 04:02 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
We have always played split strikers with one dropping deeper to support and link with the midfield - Eric,Yorke and Teddy all did this. We have never really been a straight 4-4-2 side...it's always actually been a 4-4-1-1.

You're quite right in most of what you say..the biggest difference in the last few years was the 4-5-1/4-3-3 where it was one striker up on his own with the main support coming from the wide men and with three central midfielders..this formation has not been very good to watch, or very successful.

However,we did often play with the support striker coming into the midfield when we were up against it..thus playing a form of 4-5-1..a very different version though than the one we've suffered watching for a few years.
i agree entirely - it was never a pair up front. still, the point is that we have changed in the last few years as we tried out a new (and crap) system.

Unread 14-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i agree entirely - it was never a pair up front. still, the point is that we have changed in the last few years as we tried out a new (and crap) system.
It's a shame,we don't really disagree on anything here!

Unread 14-01-2007, 04:41 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Step out of the gutter borsuk
a nice fruity bulgarian red of a sunday afternoon

can't be beat

(wine, before you ask)

Unread 14-01-2007, 04:42 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
It's a shame,we don't really disagree on anything here!
i'd say we've disagreed on quite a few

:>(

Unread 14-01-2007, 05:58 PM
£#%&! KFC

so Arsewipe have been playing ''some good stuff'' have they, what like at Sheffield United

United have been playing ''better stuff'' for quite a while, the pitch at the Emirates is a lot bigger and wider than Highbury and that will suit us

£#%&! the draw we are good enough to beat them, and we will. and £#%&! Chelski even if they win at the Vermin we won't be caught if we beat Arsenal

am more worried about Spurs tbh, they have now lost their last two home games in the league after being unbeaten all season, their next home league game is against us

Unread 14-01-2007, 08:31 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
The way we approach this game all depends on how Chelsea do at Anfield.
Very true.

I think it's important for United to stay four points ahead of Chelsea, because it gives us that little cushion.

That game at Anfield will have a mental effect on the players, too. If Chelsea get beaten, then Fergie need not do a pre-match talk; I think we'll go out completely relaxed and play for the win, as we have little to lose and everything to gain with three points.

But if Chelsea beat Liverpool (maybe with Terry or Cech back) it may just be the confirmation that they are back in business, and I think we may see a more cautious United, one which would settle for a point.

Unread 14-01-2007, 08:33 PM
red @rmy

We will win, Rooney will score, I'm so confident, I'm willing to whack every cyber penny on it.

Unread 14-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Very true.

I think it's important for United to stay four points ahead of Chelsea, because it gives us that little cushion.

That game at Anfield will have a mental effect on the players, too. If Chelsea get beaten, then Fergie need not do a pre-match talk; I think we'll go out completely relaxed and play for the win, as we have little to lose and everything to gain with three points.

But if Chelsea beat Liverpool (maybe with Terry or Cech back) it may just be the confirmation that they are back in business, and I think we may see a more cautious United, one which would settle for a point.
I think United know that Liverpool's record under Rafa Benitez is terrible against the top sides. They won't be too surprised at a Chelsea win. It would still give it that extra little tweak on the nerves overnight though.
Closed Thread