United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-08-2018, 10:56 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
No we weren't. We played with effort and intensity, but very little quality.

We just see that intensity so seldom that it appears more impressive.
Spot on.

Other teams do that on a week by week basis not just for 45 minutes every now and then.

Unread 30-08-2018, 10:58 AM
dunk

Quote:
I think that Brighton performance has warped our view on what a good performance is.
I think Mourinho being manager has warped many peoples view on what a good performance is..

Unread 30-08-2018, 10:59 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

No. We could've been a couple down at the break and could easily have lost the game by 6. The usual confusion, lack of shape, plan or ideas was evident from the outset, there was slightly more industry early doors off the back of the embarrassment at Brighton, but it was the same shit that industry aside.
Exactly. We little openings , but not much more. Our best chance came when Rose £#%&!ed up for Lukaku. Other than that, Lukaku's snap shot from the left from shaws cross. A Couple of foraging runs from Fred.... have i missed some other scintillating attacks ?

Meanwhile Jones should have conceded a penalty at the other end and Ali missed a great chance that was well blocked by Smalling (I think)

We worked hard and the atmosphere was positive, but the same old deeper issues were there. They won't just go away and just because the perofmance was better than Brighton doesn't mean it was anywhere near good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Spot on.

Other teams do that on a week by week basis not just for 45 minutes every now and then.
We looked like some relegation fodder, up for a big game and flying out the traps..... but once we punched ourselves out, the better team took over.

Scoreline flattered spurs a bit, but we were well beaten. And that was with a lot more effort.

Unread 30-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
In fairness, the players weren't knackered, most of them were doing plenty of sprints at 90+ mins, chasing lost causes etc. I didn't see any real signs of physical fatigue other than Shaw getting cramps. The massive drop in performance came after the second goal went in and all their heads dropped. At that point the lack of a real leader on the pitch to get everyone fighting again, was glaringly obvious.

Also, our approach to the game was anything but "sit back, keep it tight and hope for moments of quality". We dominated possession, created more chances and played thoroughly attacking football while the players followed the tactics/plan set out by the manager. Again, we only dropped off after the second goal went in and the lack of any real leadership meant there was nothing to arrest the increasing tendency toward headless chicken panic reactions. Players (most notably Pogba) abandoning simple football in search of more difficult 'game changing' passes that increasingly resulted in little more than lost possession and more frustration.
There was huge fatigue. We dropped off our men; the intensity levels dropped and we hardly attacked in the second half at all. Our players aren’t fit enough. Spurs dicked us 2nd half. It was exactly what we used to do to teams.

Yes our first half approach was better than usual but I’m saying it was a massive exception to the rule. Mourinho isn’t comfortable coaching a team that plays in that way; it’s too risky for him. I honestly believe he gets a kick out of stifling-type football; his favourite games are those smash and grab type wins. His approach is awful.

Unread 30-08-2018, 11:47 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
There was huge fatigue. We dropped off our men; the intensity levels dropped and we hardly attacked in the second half at all. Our players aren’t fit enough. Spurs dicked us 2nd half. It was exactly what we used to do to teams.

Yes our first half approach was better than usual but I’m saying it was a massive exception to the rule. Mourinho isn’t comfortable coaching a team that plays in that way; it’s too risky for him. I honestly believe he gets a kick out of stifling-type football; his favourite games are those smash and grab type wins. His approach is awful.
The other thing missing from our game that all his best sides had is the cheating.

Our constant fouling isn't even snide, just clumsy and inept.

Unread 30-08-2018, 11:51 AM
Clownbones

Quote:

You can tell it's massively counter intuitive for him. And he can't wait do say 'told ya so' and revert to type when it doesn't work.

In fairness, he shouldn't change. It's what he does, what he's been successful with.

It's our fault for expecting him to change. Much easier to just hire a manager who is actually attacking.

Unread 30-08-2018, 12:15 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
It's our fault for expecting him to change. Much easier to just hire a manager who is actually attacking.
was actually madness in retrospect.

Unread 30-08-2018, 01:50 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
You can tell it's massively counter intuitive for him. And he can't wait do say 'told ya so' and revert to type when it doesn't work.

In fairness, he shouldn't change. It's what he does, what he's been successful with.

yep, exactly. He’s the antithesis of a United manager.

Btw are you new? You speak far too much sense for this place.

Unread 30-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
yep, exactly. He’s the antithesis of a United manager.

Btw are you new? You speak far too much sense for this place.
It’s about his 3rd user name

Unread 30-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
It’s about his 3rd user name
Who is it?

Unread 30-08-2018, 02:02 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Who is it?