United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 17-04-2024, 11:27 AM
armchair

You could just as easily get rid of him next January. Obviously, don't give him 100% control of transfers in the next two windows. That would give Ineos time to get fully settled in and Ten Hag a chance under the new regime. Also if he's fired now they'd have to pay off his contract and the contract of what would likely be a temporary appointment.

Unread 17-04-2024, 11:57 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes View Post
There is no one else to appoint. For that...and other reasons... I don't want tH to go anywhere.
Of course there is. Ridiculous to think that Erik is the only (or best) manager that Manchester United could appoint. As shit as the past few managers have made us, we're still one of the biggest jobs in the footballing world.

Unread 17-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Chris Quayd

So does he actually deserve another season or would the inners be ok with binning him off if there was a palatable replacement available?

Unread 17-04-2024, 12:04 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen View Post
Of course there is. Ridiculous to think that Erik is the only (or best) manager that Manchester United could appoint. As shit as the past few managers have made us, we're still one of the biggest jobs in the footballing world.
I would argue there are other managers, but none that I currently feel it's worth ripping it all up and starting again for. No real stand-out candidates.
It's all very well managing Brighton or Villa but there are zero expectations there. It would then take that manager a few years but within 18 months it would all start up again... 'what's he doing ffs'.... 'he's got to go...'. etc.

I'm sick of the chopping and changing and want to see him get one more season. At some point we have to give stability a chance and show these players they have to pull their fingers out. But it's really make or break.

Unread 17-04-2024, 12:08 PM
suedeshoes

👆🏻

Unread 17-04-2024, 12:26 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
I would argue there are other managers, but none that I currently feel it's worth ripping it all up and starting again for.
Ripping what up?!

Unread 17-04-2024, 12:32 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Ripping what up?!
It

Unread 17-04-2024, 12:37 PM
pedr0

in the absence of any clear alternative, ETH having another season is not the end of the world. main thing is that he should have no input on transfers.

Unread 17-04-2024, 12:44 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0 View Post
in the absence of any clear alternative, ETH having another season is not the end of the world. main thing is that he should have no input on transfers.
Or training
Or picking the team
Or making substitutions

It could work

Unread 17-04-2024, 12:49 PM
silv

maybe potter is the man

he had a circus to run at chelsea

Unread 17-04-2024, 12:54 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
maybe potter is the man

he had a circus to run at chelsea
The calm waters of the United job should be welcome relief to him then.

Unread 17-04-2024, 12:55 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth View Post
The calm waters of the United job should be welcome relief to him then.
the new lot seem to have their heads switched on

it might all be a complete failure mind!

Unread 17-04-2024, 01:31 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd View Post
So does he actually deserve another season or would the inners be ok with binning him off if there was a palatable replacement available?
It plays it’s part, rightly or wrongly. You see big clubs ditch their manager if a big name becomes available. They might have been willing to give them longer, but the window to get these guys is small

It works the other way too. It might be more beneficial to wait. The landscape can change very quickly. Xabi Alonso wasn’t anything a year ago and now he’s arguably the most sought after up and coming coach

In six months or a years time, there could be a far more obvious candidate

Unread 17-04-2024, 02:20 PM
NedKelly

As always, I must implore that the honourable ‘outers’ give some clear-cut, valid explanation as to why they want ETH to be sacked. Even with these recent exchanges, you can see various pro-ETH posters providing detailed and insightful answers to the opposition’s queries. And yet when asked to reciprocate, the ‘outers’ cower in fear. It seems like a genuine personal vendetta against our manager and it’s utterly bizarre. Posters who are generally really reasonable and thoughtful guys, salivating with rage at a man they don’t even know personally.

I’ll ask once more: can anyone give a genuine reason as to why they think Erik should be sacked? Just one single, valid reason.

Make it make sense.

Unread 17-04-2024, 02:21 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post
As always, I must implore that the honourable ‘outers’ give some clear-cut, valid explanation as to why they want ETH to be sacked. Even with these recent exchanges, you can see various pro-ETH posters providing detailed and insightful answers to the opposition’s queries. And yet when asked to reciprocate, the ‘outers’ cower in fear. It seems like a genuine personal vendetta against our manager and it’s utterly bizarre. Posters who are generally really reasonable and thoughtful guys, salivating with rage at a man they don’t even know personally.

I’ll ask once more: can anyone give a genuine reason as to why they think Erik should be sacked? Just one single, valid reason.

Make it make sense.

Unread 17-04-2024, 02:25 PM
silv

Quote:

Make it make sense.
because we are utterly crap

Unread 17-04-2024, 02:28 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Ripping what up?!
Exactly. Nothing to rip up. The entire season has been a disaster.

I get Zorg's concerns - we all have the same - but we really going to keep Erick after this big dog shit of a season because we don't want to change things.

As quayders ask, seems everyone would be okay to change managers if there was a more obviously better candidate? What does that say about Erik?

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post
Or training
Or picking the team
Or making substitutions

It could work

Definitely some folk are traumatised by the past decade and I get it. But it's like staying in a bad relationship because you can't be arsed playing the field again. Not going to end up well.

Quote:

Make it make sense.
Is this going to be like the Martial wum or will you make it a little less obvious?

Unread 17-04-2024, 02:32 PM
MUFC One Love

What more proof could you want other than the football is rubbish, there seems to be no plan. His subs aren't great or general match management. Oh and the performances are consistently bad, sometimes terrible.

Unread 17-04-2024, 02:41 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post
Or training
Or picking the team
Or making substitutions

It could work
See? Exactly. Positive thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen View Post
As quayders ask, seems everyone would be okay to change managers if there was a more obviously better candidate? What does that say about Erik?

Definitely some folk are traumatised by the past decade and I get it. But it's like staying in a bad relationship because you can't be arsed playing the field again. Not going to end up well.
That's fair enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not making the 'give him time because look at Ferguson' argument. That has never made sense to me - Ferguson was a total one-off from a totally different era and the idea managers automatically become brilliant if we just leave them to it for long enough is nonsense.

It's just that, it's not 2013 any more. We've had a decade of chopping and changing when things get tough, and I just wonder if there comes a point when repeatedly changing the manager actually becomes more damaging to a club than sticking with one who's struggling in his second season. Because maybe constantly changing sends all the wrong messages to the playing staff, the fans, and other clubs - it tells the players they are in charge, and all adds to the general sense that the club is a directionless mess.

It's an easy trap for clubs to fall into and I'd really hoped United wouldn't be among them, but here we are. There are so many clubs who've impatiently sacked managers only for their replacements to be worse.

Lots of people seem to agree a manager needs three seasons or so, and then when he struggles in season two they want him sacked.

I certainly see no reason why managers who've failed elsewhere, never won anything, or not managed clubs anywhere near as big as United, would succeed.

To stick with Erik, we need positives. Admittedly, there aren't many - two cup finals and possibly a third, focusing on some seriously good young talent. But I think they're just about enough to stick. For now.

Unread 17-04-2024, 02:59 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd View Post
Deserves another season....

Don't really care who's available...