United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-07-2010, 11:54 PM
neworder

Default Re: HAVE I JUST SEEN ERIC IN AN ADVERT WITH THE VERMIN WINNING THE cl ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone

Joking btw

Unread 25-07-2010, 12:01 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bral
Tbh who gives a £#%&! it's an advert ffs. Some of you are being little girls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
£#%&!ing hell, get a grip ffs.
hang on a cotton pickin minute.......if it was some £#%&!wit like Ince or Heinze, then you could just brush it off

but its Eric ffs

Unread 25-07-2010, 12:05 AM
irk

The scousers will ram this down our throats

Unread 25-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
hang on a cotton pickin minute.......if it was some £#%&!wit like Ince or Heinze, then you could just brush it off

but its Eric ffs
Yep, that's the disappointing thing.

Presumably if Fergie does a similar ad in ten years no-one will be allowed to be disappointed then either.

Unread 25-07-2010, 12:20 AM
croberts

wow, just wow

Unread 25-07-2010, 12:23 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Yep, that's the disappointing thing.

Presumably if Fergie does a similar ad in ten years no-one will be allowed to be disappointed then either.
the most disappointing thing about it for me is, that when he was told he'd be appearing with the vermin in scenes from a night that made his biggest fans sick, that he didnt laugh at them and tell them to £#%&! the £#%&! off....

can you imagine Gary Neville agreeing to appear in that ad

Unread 25-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Arnold Muhren

If theres one thing we as football fans should have learnt over the last few years its not to look for your hero's within the realm of modern day football. A great player and a club legend obviously but don't forget this is the same man who took £90k+ in 'expenses' to appear in the Munich testimonial some years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_...th_anniversary

However, in the midst of the preparations, former United player Eric Cantona, who had retired from football to pursue a career in film in the summer of 1997, expressed an interest in returning to Manchester United for a farewell match. Edwards, ever the businessman, took the opportunity to combine the two events into one.[59] From then on, it seemed to some that the match had ceased to be primarily a tribute to the Busby Babes and more about Cantona. Due to Cantona's new acting career, his schedule meant that he would not be available in February and the match was moved to 18 August, with the opposition to be a European XI chosen by Cantona himself. Martin Edwards was criticised for turning the match into a publicity stunt, while Elizabeth Wood, the divorced wife of Munich survivor Ray Wood, compared the treatment of the Munich victims to that of "dancing bears at the circus". Nevertheless, the match earned £47,000 for each of the victims' families, while Eric Cantona recouped over £90,000 in expenses directly from the testimonial fund, rather than from the club

Once Nev, Scholes and Giggsy have gone I can't see myself giving a £#%&! one way or the other about any of them to be honest.

Unread 25-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Muhren
If theres one thing we as football fans should have learnt over the last few years its not to look for your hero's within the realm of modern day football. A great player and a club legend obviously but don't forget this is the same man who took £90k+ in 'expenses' to appear in the Munich testimonial some years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_...th_anniversary

However, in the midst of the preparations, former United player Eric Cantona, who had retired from football to pursue a career in film in the summer of 1997, expressed an interest in returning to Manchester United for a farewell match. Edwards, ever the businessman, took the opportunity to combine the two events into one.[59] From then on, it seemed to some that the match had ceased to be primarily a tribute to the Busby Babes and more about Cantona. Due to Cantona's new acting career, his schedule meant that he would not be available in February and the match was moved to 18 August, with the opposition to be a European XI chosen by Cantona himself. Martin Edwards was criticised for turning the match into a publicity stunt, while Elizabeth Wood, the divorced wife of Munich survivor Ray Wood, compared the treatment of the Munich victims to that of "dancing bears at the circus". Nevertheless, the match earned £47,000 for each of the victims' families, while Eric Cantona recouped over £90,000 in expenses directly from the testimonial fund, rather than from the club

Once Nev, Scholes and Giggsy have gone I can't see myself giving a £#%&! one way or the other about any of them to be honest.
The club were never going to pay his costs. Apparently shit like that goes on in every testimonial. You get someone in who's special and they get 'expenses' as they will get more fans and in turn money because they are participating, or so the theory goes. I'm sure I read somewhere that Larry White did one for someone and got a similar amount.

On the bright side of the advert, the scousers won't like seeing Eric linked with the greatest football match in the history of the world, ever. Would you want to see Fowler in an advert talking about our treble?

Unread 25-07-2010, 01:05 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
On the bright side of the advert, the scousers won't like seeing Eric linked with the greatest football match in the history of the world, ever. Would you want to see Fowler in an advert talking about our treble?
good point TSV.....but it just highlights what a shite idea it was in the first place.

Unread 25-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Rhodzy

Why is everyone seeing their arse over this, it's not like he was £#%&!ing Steven Gerrard whilst taking a dump on Fergies chest.

Unread 25-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
that wouldnt surprise me.....just disappointed Eric didnt point it out to them when he read the script...thought he was meant to be clued up
It's disappointing Denis, of course it is. But think back to his playing days and what he did for us. We're level on league titles now with the scousers which was unthinkable in 92 when he signed. He's contributed as much as anyone bar Fergie and Giggs. Yes Scholes, Beckham, Cole and Schmeichel were world class but Eric gave us belief. He transformed United from a hard working team into a fluid league demolishing machine. He brought you more joy than probably anyone in a red shirt. He made a mistake but he's allowed one isn't he? Don't hate him mate, the only person who'll lose out is you. Try and forget he ever did it.

Unread 25-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Zorg

Quote:
It's disappointing Denis, of course it is. But think back to his playing days and what he did for us. We're level on league titles now with the scousers which was unthinkable in 92 when he signed. He's contributed as much as anyone bar Fergie and Giggs. Yes Scholes, Beckham, Cole and Schmeichel were world class but Eric gave us belief. He transformed United from a hard working team into a fluid league demolishing machine. He brought you more joy than probably anyone in a red shirt. He made a mistake but he's allowed one isn't he? Don't hate him mate, the only person who'll lose out is you. Try and forget he ever did it.
I don't think anyone hates him Sniffer, it's just a bit disappointing, that's all. I think we're allowed that. It's like Schmeichel playing for city, that was a bit disappointing too. Not the end of the world, but not really what you want to see. Like I said, if in ten years Fergie does a similar advert would everyone not be just a teensy bit pissed off? Of course they would. Doesn't mean you'd lose sleep over it, but you'd wonder why he did it and kind of wish he hadn't.

Unread 25-07-2010, 01:27 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
yeah...it was a shock to see it......ive calmed down a bit now.....i'll sleep it off and then switch the thing off as soon as i see it coming on.

i dont hate him, im just disappointed.

Unread 25-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I don't think anyone hates him Sniffer, it's just a bit disappointing, that's all. I think we're allowed that. It's like Schmeichel playing for city, that was a bit disappointing too. Not the end of the world, but not really what you want to see. Like I said, if in ten years Fergie does a similar advert would everyone not be just a teensy bit pissed off? Of course they would. Doesn't mean you'd lose sleep over it, but you'd wonder why he did it and kind of wish he hadn't.
I don't know, I think Denis is considering self harming. There's a lot of very disappointed people with one or two teetering on the brink of hate, they're probably a bit pissed, tomorrow hopefully they'll calm down. It was really an appeal to those so they don't spill over into outright hatred. There are plenty who despise Mark Hughes now and if anyone ever gets like that about the King, it's them who lose out. Maybe I'm misreading the sentiments in the posts a bit, I hope so anyway.

Unread 25-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
yeah...it was a shock to see it......ive calmed down a bit now.....i'll sleep it off and then switch the thing off as soon as i see it coming on.

i dont hate him, im just disappointed.
Glad to hear it mate, take each day at a time and you'll pull through. I'm sure there'll be a self help group set up on facebook for people like you. "My name's Denis and I took down Eric's picture" "Hi Denis, thanks for sharing that with us" and a nice round of applause.

Unread 25-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Stickman

had to turn that off after 15 seconds, wtf was he thinking?

Unread 25-07-2010, 01:40 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Glad to hear it mate, take each day at a time and you'll pull through. I'm sure there'll be a self help group set up on facebook for people like you. "My name's Denis and I took down Eric's picture" "Hi Denis, thanks for sharing that with us" and a nice round of applause.

jumping off the roof > signing up to a facebook group

Unread 25-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Zorg

Quote:
I don't know, I think Denis is considering self harming. There's a lot of very disappointed people with one or two teetering on the brink of hate, they're probably a bit pissed, tomorrow hopefully they'll calm down. It was really an appeal to those so they don't spill over into outright hatred. There are plenty who despise Mark Hughes now and if anyone ever gets like that about the King, it's them who lose out. Maybe I'm misreading the sentiments in the posts a bit, I hope so anyway.
WEll that bit applies to me at the moment so

Unread 25-07-2010, 04:01 AM
M-13

Quote:
What ? Denis Law ??

I know you are a JCL but there is only 1 king. Even Lawless knows that.

Unread 25-07-2010, 10:36 AM
n48

Not seen it but is he promoting the dippers or bringing them extra revenue? I'd only condemn him if he's done this.
Closed Thread