United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Hmmm, not bad signings though. And they won £#%&! all after he was sacked so it's not just a question of money.
Not bad signings.... not like Del Bosque had a thing to do with any of them mind & not exactly gems unearthed by having to do some genuine management.

For example... taking a gamble on a "£#%&!ed" Marc Overmars, & bringing Petit to the side, winning the double & £#%&!ing them off to Barcelona for approx. £25m, stealing Anelka for a pittance & flogging him to Madrid for £25m, getting the best out of Henry for £11m & selling him clearly past his best for a £5m profit etc.

Football management relates to a relative success & improvement of a side & football club. Arsenal didn't have 7 European Cups to their name before Wenger signed, so to imagine they should be competing for it is a bit fanciful given the amount of money sides like Madrid were spending. Arsenal beat them on their way to the CL final a few years back, falling just short against a Barcelona side also awash with fortunes being spent on it.

I can see the logic of using results being used to rate a managers success, but ultimately Arsenal will - if their board plays the financial route correctly - be capable of paying the large transfer fees & wages that the teams they have competed against already do, in a larger stadium to attract those players & without placing that club in some kind of huge financial vacuum.

Wenger is a horrible @#%&! of a man, but what he's achieved off the pitch as well as on it, imo, demands a certain amount of respect. Added to the fact he does get his sides playing passing, attractive football on that budget where as Chelsea, paying fortunes, were a glorified Bolton & lets not mention Liverpool, Spurs, Villa etc who have all spent more & play shite in the same period.

It might grate to say it, but he's done as good a job as anyone could accept there & like I said, was the right man for them. Having never managed big signings & their expectations he may not be capable, who knows.
Closed Thread