United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Sparky***

Good. Still a good player if he's got a good partner.

Unread 30-05-2016, 06:53 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Correct. Good news.

Unread 30-05-2016, 06:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Looks a bit past it but hard to dispense with such a player. Could suggest Schweini is off.

Funny how Ferguson, Van Gaal and Mourinho all value Carrick but Roy Hodgson doesn't.

Unread 30-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Signed a 1year deal according to Paddy on MUTV.

The host looked a bit like ...
"Paddy it's not been made official yet !....."

great news tbh

Unread 30-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Looks a bit past it but hard to dispense with such a player. Could suggest Schweini is off.

Funny how Ferguson, Van Gaal and Mourinho all value Carrick but Roy Hodgson doesn't.
bit harsh to blame hodgson

carrick should have been on about 100 caps by the time hodgson got the gig

Unread 30-05-2016, 07:02 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Hi Poggers

Unread 30-05-2016, 07:13 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
bit harsh to blame hodgson

carrick should have been on about 100 caps by the time hodgson got the gig
I hold him more accountable because Capello etc (surprisingly) left Carrick out for that Gerrard-Lampard %@#$&!s, but Hodgson left Carrick out in order to play Scott Parker. How he wasn't sacked after that tournament four years ago on that basis alone I don't know.

Unread 30-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Switching Off

But Pure said he was off

Unread 30-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I hold him more accountable because Capello etc (surprisingly) left Carrick out for that Gerrard-Lampard balls, but Hodgson left Carrick out in order to play Scott Parker. How he wasn't sacked after that tournament four years ago on that basis alone I don't know.
fair enough, without looking it up i'm struggling to even remember anything about it - literally nothing. who won it

Unread 30-05-2016, 07:23 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
But Pure said he was off
In fairness you get the impression that had Van Gaal stayed he would have been.

Quote:
fair enough, without looking it up i'm struggling to even remember anything about it - literally nothing. who won it
Spain, beating Italy in the final after Gerrard and Parker spent two hours chasing Pirlo's shadow at some point during the knockouts.

Unread 30-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Lok

Mixed feelings on this. Clearly he still has something to offer but I was hoping we were going to sign a world class midfielder. With Herrera, Carrick, Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin on the books that looks very unlikely.

Unread 30-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Spain, beating Italy in the final after Gerrard and Parker spent two hours chasing Pirlo's shadow at some point during the knockouts.
off wiki - england's opening group game line up:

Hart, Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Cole, Milner, Gerrard (c), Parker, Chamberlain, Young, Welbeck
Subs:
Defoe, Henderson, Walcott

hard to fathom why we never won the tournament tbh

Unread 30-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

Hart, Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Cole, Milner, Gerrard (c), Parker, Chamberlain, Young, Welbeck
Subs:

jesus £#%&!ing christ.

Unread 30-05-2016, 08:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Subs:

Iirc Carrick told Hodgson he'd go as a first choice but didn't want to be considered for the squad if he was Parker's understudy

Unread 30-05-2016, 08:12 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
jesus £#%&!ing christ.

Unread 30-05-2016, 08:12 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

Iirc Carrick told Hodgson he'd go as a first choice but didn't want to be considered for the squad if he was Parker's understudy
now you mention it that rings a bell

thing is though by that stage he should have been a veteran england player and virtually an automatic pick. he's had a few good games but never had the team set up so he can run it. i know we've probably all said it 100 times, but imagine any other top european team not building its midfield around scholes and carrick circa 2006 onwards

guess you have to look at the clueless media coverage, and especially the FA for hiring managers like erikson and capello, but don't remember mclaren changing much either.

Unread 30-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Pop

Jose loves an old @#%&! in the first team.

Balloon Door for Carrick next season, nqat.

Unread 30-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

thing is though by that stage he should have been a veteran england player and virtually an automatic pick. he's had a few good games but never had the team set up so he can run it. i know we've probably all said it 100 times, but imagine any other top european team not building its midfield around scholes and carrick circa 2006 onwards

guess you have to look at the clueless media coverage, and especially the FA for hiring managers like erikson and capello, but don't remember mclaren changing much either.

Yup. Absolutely astonishing when you think about it, but let's face it - it probably benefited united. I expect we got more mileage out of both than if they had been regulars for England.

One of the many reasons I've given no £#%&!s about England since around '98 is the baffling selection decisions. I don't necessarily disagree with playing Lampard or Gerrard () as they were both exceptional on their day, but the team should have been built around Scholes - it's that simple.

Unread 30-05-2016, 08:29 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

In international football tournaments, when time with the squad is short and players are increasingly tired after a club season, we're more than ever seeing the benefit of sides with that strong core of players with established partnerships from club level.

The recent Spain and Germany sides benefited from that with those Barca/Real and Bayern/Dortmund partnerships all over the field. I do wonder what an England side basing itself on the Scholes-Carrick midfield behind Rooney would have achieved.

Lampard and Gerrard a horrible combination. Neither wanting to build the play, both wanting to affect the game further up.

Unread 30-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Jack Duckworth

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Jose loves an old @#%&! in the first team.

Balloon Door for no fun next season, nqat.
Closed Thread