United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Redordead

Default Well one thing we all can agree on is we will know this summer if we have any transfer money

I believe we have and have argued that Benzema for example was too much and not keen, but regardless of the point of view they ( the owners ) will have to spend.

If they dont we have no money - their investment will suffer if they do not reassure/placate the fans with another 50 million or so being spent.

Will be interesting this summer

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Barracuda

I've read before - no idea if it's true or not - that their business plan is based around a top four finish and getting as far as a Champions League quarter final.

If that is true then there's not a great deal of spending required to ensure that, it could even be argued the current squad could achieve that without any spending at all.

But then again we've just had a season in which we were one game away from playing the maximum games possible, winning the PL, the League Cup and CL finalists ... but still needed to sell a player for a world record fee in order to make a profit.

It's like we can't afford to spend, but at the same time we can't afford not to?

As you say, it will be interesting this summer.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:20 AM
borsuk

true. a (fairly undeserved) title and a cl final would have covered up some fairly big holes. it's going to be hard to justify not freshening the squad up now.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Crumps

This summer is gonna be crap, we'll buy no one of note or standing in the game and Scholes, Giggs and Neville will start the first game of next season.

Anderson will get larger.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:23 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
I've read before - no idea if it's true or not - that their business plan is based around a top four finish and getting as far as a Champions League quarter final.If that is true then there's not a great deal of spending required to ensure that, it could even be argued the current squad could achieve that without any spending at all.

But then again we've just had a season in which we were one game away from playing the maximum games possible, winning the PL, the League Cup and CL finalists ... but still needed to sell a player for a world record fee in order to make a profit.

It's like we can't afford to spend, but at the same time we can't afford not to?

As you say, it will be interesting this summer.
That was my theory when they took over. They've been blessed by three league titles but that's over and above what they need and they won't be splashing the cash to achieve it.
Fergie to retire this summer.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:23 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
This summer is gonna be crap, we'll buy no one of note or standing in the game and Scholes, Giggs and Neville will start the first game of next season.

How are you Crumps? Not seen you on here for a bit.

You still under the thumb?

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:26 AM
elephantstone

Ferie might call it a day if he is not allowed to invest in any new players

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
How are you Crumps? Not seen you on here for a bit.

You still under the thumb?
Fine, been off work for a bit so all posting has been infrequent and via Blackberry. Yes but I am being unleashed for Derby Day, to watch us lose and then have a fight in the pub which I'll also lose and get barred.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Sparky***

They have a prime excuse lined up in the world cup. No doubt they'll trot out some old shit about not having enough time because all the players are in africa and the prices being bumped up etc etc.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Harri Jaffa

I reckon Fergie will have one more season

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:53 AM
MUFC One Love

Thumbs up

Quote:
Fine, been off work for a bit so all posting has been infrequent and via Blackberry. Yes but I am being unleashed for Derby Day, to watch us lose and then have a fight in the pub which I'll also lose and get barred.
Good lad.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:53 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
They have a prime excuse lined up in the world cup. No doubt they'll trot out some old shit about not having enough time because all the players are in africa and the prices being bumped up etc etc.
Yep.

The club won't do something normal, like, you know, maybe try and get signings done before the World Cup, oh no. Just wait for the excuses after the World Cup.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:

As I said before, this will be FT's first summer when we're not champions... it'll be a doom fest, doom fest I tell's thee

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
As I said before, this will be FT's first summer when we're not champions... it'll be a doom fest, doom fest I tell's thee
It's gonna be a long few months. Might get myself banned if England win the world cup.

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Gorilla Monsoon

I don't think they can go another season with all the speculation, and no big signings. I'm expecting the worst though, i just have this image of it getting to 3 weeks before the season and Fergie saying, plain faced 'the squads matured, we couldnt really see any areas where we need to strengthen, Hargreaves and Anderson are back which is a massive boost, and Macheda and Diouf are really shining in training' Its at that point where the shit will really start to hit the fan.

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Albert Tatlock

It's sad to think that our owners are only in it for the money, that they care nothing about success unless it brings in more money, that they care even less about the fans, unless it loses them money. We could be a shoe sellers for all they care, it's wouldn't nake any difference to them.

Yes, we've all known it for a long long time, but it's still sad...

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:18 AM
redloner

There's a £75m overdraft facility. They can spend what they want. It won't mean there's money in the bank.

What's more important is the transfer policy. We now only buy big at a young age so we can sell on before the player is over the hill.

That controls who we buy and who we sell surely?

So who's for the door while they are still worth something?

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:20 AM
redloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
It's sad to think that our owners are only in it for the money, that they care nothing about success unless it brings in more money, that they care even less about the fans, unless it loses them money. We could be a shoe sellers for all they care, it's wouldn't nake any difference to them.

Yes, we've all known it for a long long time, but it's still sad...
Or motorcycle manufacturers?
Or kitchen surface manufacturers?
Or fish oil producers?
Or airbag makers?
Or an old down-at-heel oil company?

You're right. They don't give a shit as long as there's money to be made.

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloner
There's a £75m overdraft facility. They can spend what they want. It won't mean there's money in the bank.

What's more important is the transfer policy. We now only buy big at a young age so we can sell on before the player is over the hill.

That controls who we buy and who we sell surely?

So who's for the door while they are still worth something?
deffo vidic imho.

a few squad players will be offloaded for £5m ish each.

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Shame if we had to lose Vidic. He's currently much more useful than Rio Ferdinand and will be from now on.
Closed Thread