United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-06-2015, 12:18 PM
red in cumbria

Actually I agree quite a bit with SL on this.

Our form in the second half of the 2005/06 season was highly encouraging, but lots of people pissed their pants after Chelski dicked us in a meaningless end of season game

Unread 11-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Mr_Ed

Our best start to a PL season since 93/94 iirc... Even Balsa Boy Saha scored some important goals. An field away - top goonage and Ronnie at Fulham

Unread 11-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Actually I agree quite a bit with SL on this.

Our form in the second half of the 2005/06 season was highly encouraging, but lots of people pissed their pants after Chelski dicked us in a meaningless end of season game
the reality is that I don't go in for revisionism, and United were always likely to challenge that season - we had a very high level of quality in the squad

but the incessant spiralling bitter little vortex of doom that surrounded the fanzinese version of everything going on at United at that time engulfed much of the inter web support - intelligentsia and £#%&!wits alike

Unread 11-06-2015, 12:46 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
loved that season

Fulham away - Ronaldo last minute
Liverpool away - O'Shea last kick
Everton away 2nil down with half an hour left or whatever it was.

3 consecutive weekends iirc (or near enough) - absolute goon overload.

Milan at home in the CL semi final was a great night too.

Robbed in the FA Cup final & out on our feet in Europe but one of my favourite ever seasons nqat.
Appalling tactics from ferguson. Should have sent them out to express themselves and gone shit or bust. We'd won the league so no need for the ultra cagey way he set us up. Blew it.

Unread 11-06-2015, 01:16 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Brilliant season. So many great moments.

For that season and the next, we spent most of our games camped inside the opposition half with our full backs spending most of their time attacking; brilliant to watch.

Not to mention it looked originally like we were going to lose Ronaldo that summer.

The only disappointments were the lack of depth which cost us in the Champions League & Saha's injuries. The football we played with him in the team at the start of the season was sensational.

The summer transfer window is what we should aspire to; highly ambitious, signing some of the best established and upcoming talent and transforming the squad into one that was versatile, dynamic, talented & able to win the main domestic & european competitions. We've never done anything like it since.

Unread 11-06-2015, 01:28 PM
Sparky***

my biggest disappointment that season was not relegating west ham at home. Something i'd waited 12 years for.

"send them down, send them down, send them down." we all chanted in the 2nd half.

£#%&!ing £#%&!ers.

Unread 11-06-2015, 02:31 PM
Semantic Lisp

people say the squad wasn't deep enough to also win in europe but it went pretty £#%&!ing close considering it also reached the cup final

the problem was that for about a fortnight the defensive back-ups all seemed to get crocked when the main men - Ferdinand and Vidic - were already out, and then they'd come back in and get crocked again

couple of moments stand out in that regard - Evra taking Heinze out and letting Kaka score, and some Sheff Utd player doing Evra down in the corner

we collapsed in milan, but either side of that game we won at everton and then won the derby, so hardly a sign that we were completely £#%&!ed physically. the truth was we were miles better than roma but not quite good enough to match milan, especially without rio at the back.

Unread 11-06-2015, 02:47 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantic Lisp
people say the squad wasn't deep enough to also win in europe but it went pretty £#%&!ing close considering it also reached the cup final

the problem was that for about a fortnight the defensive back-ups all seemed to get crocked when the main men - Ferdinand and Vidic - were already out, and then they'd come back in and get crocked again

couple of moments stand out in that regard - Evra taking Heinze out and letting Kaka score, and some Sheff Utd player doing Evra down in the corner

we collapsed in milan, but either side of that game we won at everton and then won the derby, so hardly a sign that we were completely £#%&!ed physically. the truth was we were miles better than roma but not quite good enough to match milan, especially without rio at the back.
It was patiently obvious watching our final few fixtures of the season that the majority of the players were running on nearly empty

The squad clearly wasn't good enough that season for an assault on all fronts as Fergie only did major rotation before we were confirmed as champions in one league game that season which was Everton at home
We won 3-0 but it was anything but a convincing performance which wasn't surprising when you're bringing in the likes of Kieran Richardson

Unread 11-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
It was patiently obvious watching our final few fixtures of the season that the majority of the players were running on nearly empty

The squad clearly wasn't good enough that season for an assault on all fronts as Fergie only did major rotation before we were confirmed as champions in one league game that season which was Everton at home
We won 3-0 but it was anything but a convincing performance which wasn't surprising when you're bringing in the likes of Kieran Richardson
not sure why you've quoted me to post that

ferguson managed the season expertly, but he had a defensive injury crisis during the run-in to contend with. As I said, even without that we probably weren't quite good enough to beat milan, especially without ferdinand.

as many players as possible got a rest in the 2 games before the Cup final and rightly so. people also tend to forget problems during other run-ins, such as the very next season, when we had a sequence up until the barca 2nd leg where we could barely buy a win, and rooney was crocked for the final but still played - apart from tevez and hargreaves United's line-up in moscow was pretty close to the 1st choice team from the previous season. and by the following season all 4 of the players Fergie brought in to that supposedly weak 06/07 squad to strengthen it were pretty much just subs iirc - tevez, mani, anderson and hargreaves. Yes that gave us greater depth, but at the time people made out as if they'd walk into the side and show exactly how piss poor the 1st team was - they didn't. Ryan Giggs at mid 30s was still a better player than Nani will ever be, for example.

Unread 11-06-2015, 04:56 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
my biggest disappointment that season was not relegating west ham at home. Something i'd waited 12 years for.

"send them down, send them down, send them down." we all chanted in the 2nd half.

£#%&!ing w****rs.

were u on tower bridge that day

Unread 11-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence

Unread 11-06-2015, 06:48 PM
PeakyBlinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence

Unread 11-06-2015, 07:09 PM
irk

Highlight of the season for me was doing my new Mrs up the arse for the first time after watching Watford away in the woodman.

Unread 11-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Yes
You lucky, lucky bastard

Unread 11-06-2015, 07:47 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I thought we'd blown it after we drew at home with Boro
That was largely due to Freggie's stubbornness in not brining off a clearly crocked player (Rio?) before the HT whistle

Fair to say that few 0-0 draws have been better recieved than that one the following day

Unread 12-06-2015, 09:07 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Highlight of the season for me was doing my new Mrs up the arse for the first time after watching Watford away in the woodman.
the bikini one ?

Unread 12-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Chelsea played away at Newcastle the next day in a 0-0 draw
If they won I think they would have went ahead of us

What a nerve wracking watch that was. I still remember a rentboy in a pink shirt throwing a proper tantrum up in the gods at St James Park after Joe Cole missed their best chance
Remember it well - it just missed the post shot across goal, proper hart in mouth moment for reds.

They wouldn't have went ahead if I recall, they would have been able to get within 2 points of us which is what everyone was cacking it about as we still had to play Chelsea away. The 3 point cushion was a different matter altogether as were were miles ahead of them on GD. We were three ahead of them prior to the Boro slip up.

Unread 12-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Zorg

Can everyone stop saying 'would have went' please? Ta.

Unread 12-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Can everyone stop saying 'would have went' please? Ta.
You have no rep for your nothing post.

Unread 12-06-2015, 11:04 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
You have no rep for your nothing post.

Fair enough.
Closed Thread