United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
In the "we destroyed this village in order to save it" sense, presumably?
Yes, I think that's exactly what Ginners was thinking.

Unread 24-02-2015, 05:14 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
Yes, I think that's exactly what Ginners was thinking.

Unread 24-02-2015, 05:18 PM
red in cumbria

He actually thinks, as opposed to mere wumming?

Unread 24-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Ginners

Quote:
He actually thinks, as opposed to mere wumming?
says the biggest wum on here..............

Unread 24-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
says the biggest wum on here..............

Unread 24-02-2015, 05:59 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Unread 24-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury

Unread 24-02-2015, 07:57 PM
red in cumbria

I would have thought that was one of the more unlikely things I could be described as, tbh. You don't get Fredsters much more WYSIWYG than me

Unread 24-02-2015, 08:15 PM
Ginners

Quote:
I would have thought that was one of the more unlikely things I could be described as, tbh. You don't get Fredsters much more WYSIWYG than me
im on to you

Unread 12-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Marlon Van Baron

If your interested and want to geek out have a read. It going to be interesting to see how Brentford do next season.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015...matthew-benham

Go to hand it to these boffins. They have taken a tiny club in Denmark and won the league against all the odds using this mathematical modelling

https://decorrespondent.nl/2607/How-...86155-d2948861

Unread 12-06-2015, 10:45 PM
utd99

This whole moneyball thing is much more suited to baseball, which is extremely individualistic, than to footy. The whole premise of baseball is pitcher versus batter, how the pitcher throws and how the batter hits is in no way dependant upon anyone other than themselves. Sure you have teamwork in the field, but the game is largely won or lost on those individual tussles. In football virtually everything you do is dependant upon your teammates. It's apples and oranges.

Liverpool's model pointed to Lambert as undervalued, and I suppose given the price vs his production two seasons ago they would have been right mathmatically. Worked out well for them.

Unread 13-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Marlon Van Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
This whole moneyball thing is much more suited to baseball, which is extremely individualistic, than to footy. The whole premise of baseball is pitcher versus batter, how the pitcher throws and how the batter hits is in no way dependant upon anyone other than themselves. Sure you have teamwork in the field, but the game is largely won or lost on those individual tussles. In football virtually everything you do is dependant upon your teammates. It's apples and oranges.

Liverpool's model pointed to Lambert as undervalued, and I suppose given the price vs his production two seasons ago they would have been right mathmatically. Worked out well for them.
You have a point about Lambert and Liverpool. Maybe this mathematical modelling is more suited to smaller clubs than those that are supposed to be fighting for the top prizes. There is more scope for trial and error if you are a club such as Brentford as opposed to Liverpool. The pool of younger and unknown player will be larger than what a much bigger club will be focusing on. The success of the Danish club cannot be ignored though, they came from nowhere to storm to the league title.

Unread 13-06-2015, 02:15 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon Van Baron
The success of the Danish club cannot be ignored though, they came from nowhere to storm to the league title.
They were hardly out of nowhere, they've been top 6 for years, long before that Brentford bloke bought in. Midtjylland aren't exactly small by Danish standards.

They focussed on their youth development years ago, sold some players and re-invested in the squad. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

But if you're someone at that club, and everyone thinks you've got some sort of magic formula, you're not going to play it down, are you? Especially when there's so many big clubs in Europe who are happy to throw money at anyone with magic beans.

Unread 13-06-2015, 02:18 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
They were hardly out of nowhere, they've been top 6 for years, long before that Brentford bloke bought in. Midtjylland aren't exactly small by Danish standards.

They focussed on their youth development years ago, sold some players and re-invested in the squad. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

But if you're someone at that club, and everyone thinks you've got some sort of magic formula, you're not going to play it down, are you? Especially when there's so many big clubs in Europe who are happy to throw money at anyone with magic beans.
I think it's a bit more than bluff though. They sacked a manager who was doing a fantastic job so they could run with this system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon Van Baron
You have a point about Lambert and Liverpool. Maybe this mathematical modelling is more suited to smaller clubs than those that are supposed to be fighting for the top prizes. There is more scope for trial and error if you are a club such as Brentford as opposed to Liverpool. The pool of younger and unknown player will be larger than what a much bigger club will be focusing on. The success of the Danish club cannot be ignored though, they came from nowhere to storm to the league title.
Whatever their method, it would be refreshing to see an approach other than getting in a load of 'experienced' prem players with few options other than to squeeze out a last pay packet. If it were me, I would try spending some money on the best young players outside the premiership, and good young players on the fringe at top clubs, rather than go for a Barton type. Got to get that hunger.
Closed Thread