United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Albert Tatlock

Default Re: Would you take him next season if Ferie stood down...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
no chance. if he reckons that four years at the club where he is already a legend as a player is too much then why would he stay longer at united?

our strength has been our loyalty to fergie and the continuity that has resulted. i want somebody to come and stay long-term, build an identity the way fergie has, not just come in short-term and try to win a few cups.

anyway, i reckon it's %@#$&!s. pep will stay at barca for the foreseeable imo, until the spanish job comes his way at least.

This.

nft

Unread 05-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Jethro

Only guy for the job now. Mourinho can £#%&! off after the past months antics

Unread 05-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Baron

Barca's entire model was built by Cryuff, he wrote the £#%&!ing book, literally, & everything from top to bottom at the club is a continuation of that.

It's a (glorious) measure of how incredible Cryuff is, as opposed to the qualities of Rijkaard or Pep that they can pick up & run with it when given the right players. It helps having Ronaldinho in his pomp & a midget called Messi as well tbh.

That said, Guardiola enforces his personality on the side (be that ugly to you or not, it's undeniably a winning mentality) & that is very important.

I also greatly admire his suits.

However, he did insist on Zlatan, Chygrynskiy & Milito for absolute £#%&!ing fortunes & all flopped hard - Mascherano also nearly £20m & done £#%&! all. I'm not sure who he's signed that has been an unqualified success ?

Unread 05-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Barca's entire model was built by Cryuff, he wrote the £#%&!ing book, literally, & everything from top to bottom at the club is a continuation of that.

It's a (glorious) measure of how incredible Cryuff is, as opposed to the qualities of Rijkaard or Pep that they can pick up & run with it when given the right players. It helps having Ronaldinho in his pomp & a midget called Messi as well tbh.

That said, Guardiola enforces his personality on the side (be that ugly to you or not, it's undeniably a winning mentality) & that is very important.

I also greatly admire his suits.

However, he did insist on Zlatan, Chygrynskiy & Milito for absolute £#%&!ing fortunes & all flopped hard - Mascherano also nearly £20m & done £#%&! all. I'm not sure who he's signed that has been an unqualified success ?
villa has slotted in well tbf

tbf to pep, ferie has made his own fair share of flops in the transfer market. expensive ones at that.

i prefer to judge managers on success and style of football. both of those pep comes up trumps for me.

plus as you say he is cool as £#%&!

Unread 05-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
villa has slotted in well tbf

tbf to pep, ferie has made his own fair share of flops in the transfer market. expensive ones at that.

i prefer to judge managers on success and style of football. both of those pep comes up trumps for me.

plus as you say he is cool as £#%&!
Villa's done well, but has scored once in his last 14 games I believe - the @#%&! still has 20 for the season as well Regardless, I think even a £#%&!ing blind man could have forecast David Villa would slot in a Barca & for £34m at 29, it's a good job he did well.

My list of flops equal at least one £20m+ flop a summer, that's a bit dodgy. Every important player at Barca has come through La Masia, even Pique & then he was toughened up & learnt from United rather than Barca in his formative years. That actually grates. Let's move on.

Success & style.... undoubted, almost unparalleled success, but given the youth system produced a side with Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Valdes, Puyol, Pedro, Messi, Pique & Bojan for a start, he's not really had to assemble a side, rather inherit & just stick to Cryuff's (militant) rules.

Does that make Pep a one trick pony? Not at all, but when you see success at say Milan, or Bayern or United, where there is no "top to bottom" manifesto & only a handful of exceptional players make the grade as opposed to 3/4's of a team, it's hard to know exactly how much of an influence Pep had. That said, the @#%&! is 40 & has a managerial medal haul most can only dream of.

I hope Fergie carries on as long as he can, be it another 2 or 3 seasons, & if Pep jacks it in at Barca & went to another big club, proved it there & got them playing great football & winning, incorporating youth etc, I'd have no qualms. As it stands, there're are a few too many question marks regarding his decisions in the transfer market & whether he has his own identity or rather just a Barca / Cryuff imprint running through him.

....but I do like those suits.

Unread 05-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

No thanks.

Unread 05-05-2011, 11:48 AM
borsuk

as i said i wouldn't see him at united but some of the comments on here are it's not like barca have enjoyed this kind of success ever since cruyff and pep has kept things ticking along quietly ffs.

by all accounts he's loved by the players, is extremely thorough and exacting in preparation and has clearly imposed his own style of play on the side. pre-pep barca didn't use the kind of all-field aggressive pressing that is their hallmark. he was promoted after a couple of years with the youth sides where, again according to reports, he worked wonders.

he's a tremendous coach. i can't believe anybody would suggest otherwise

of course, the question of whether his approach would work in a different league is a valid one, and i doubt he'd be a long-term coach anywhere other than barca. but he's a fantastic coach.

Unread 05-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Tumescent Throb

as if he £#%&!ing said that (as a statement)

Unread 05-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem
Hell yeah, he's done wonders with that rag-tag band of water carriers.

Unread 05-05-2011, 02:47 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Villa's done well, but has scored once in his last 14 games I believe - the @#%&! still has 20 for the season as well Regardless, I think even a £#%&!ing blind man could have forecast David Villa would slot in a Barca & for £34m at 29, it's a good job he did well.

My list of flops equal at least one £20m+ flop a summer, that's a bit dodgy. Every important player at Barca has come through La Masia, even Pique & then he was toughened up & learnt from United rather than Barca in his formative years. That actually grates. Let's move on.

Success & style.... undoubted, almost unparalleled success, but given the youth system produced a side with Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Valdes, Puyol, Pedro, Messi, Pique & Bojan for a start, he's not really had to assemble a side, rather inherit & just stick to Cryuff's (militant) rules.

Does that make Pep a one trick pony? Not at all, but when you see success at say Milan, or Bayern or United, where there is no "top to bottom" manifesto & only a handful of exceptional players make the grade as opposed to 3/4's of a team, it's hard to know exactly how much of an influence Pep had. That said, the @#%&! is 40 & has a managerial medal haul most can only dream of.

I hope Fergie carries on as long as he can, be it another 2 or 3 seasons, & if Pep jacks it in at Barca & went to another big club, proved it there & got them playing great football & winning, incorporating youth etc, I'd have no qualms. As it stands, there're are a few too many question marks regarding his decisions in the transfer market & whether he has his own identity or rather just a Barca / Cryuff imprint running through him.

....but I do like those suits.
It would obviously be a risk for the reasons stated, but if Pep was willing to come, straight from Barca to United, you'd turn him down in favour of whom?

Unread 05-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It would obviously be a risk for the reasons stated, but if Pep was willing to come, straight from Barca to United, you'd turn him down in favour of whom?

Unread 05-05-2011, 02:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Personally, I think it'd be a very exciting gamble.

Unread 05-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Baron

Quote:

Personally, I think it'd be a very exciting gamble.
Absolutely, but with the financials as tight as they are at United, I'm not sure we could afford to swallow the massive financial £#%&! ups Pep has inflicted on them whilst maintaining success. The mainstays of the club are either all retiring, or very close to retiring - trusting in Guardiola to replace them after the aforementioned high profile mistakes I just don't know if he'd be right man.

Unread 05-05-2011, 03:02 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Absolutely, but with the financials as tight as they are at United, I'm not sure we could afford to swallow the massive financial £#%&! ups Pep has inflicted on them whilst maintaining success. The mainstays of the club are either all retiring, or very close to retiring - trusting in Guardiola to replace them after the aforementioned high profile mistakes I just don't know if he'd be right man.
But imagine how good it would be if it turned out he was the right man

The lack of alternatives make him too good not to take a risk on, imo.

Unread 05-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Baron

Quote:
But imagine how good it would be if it turned out he was the right man

The lack of alternatives make him too good not to take a risk on, imo.
It would be nice to see attacking football week in week out.... [SIZE="1"]
bite damn you Borsurs!

Unread 05-05-2011, 04:46 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Moyes

Unread 05-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Albert Tatlock

Why would he come ?

Seriously, why would he leave Barca ?

He only accepts one year contracts at Barca, he's obviously trying to make the next one more lucrative by pretending to leave.

He's not going anywhere because he doesn't need to.

He's at a club that loves him, he's sucessful, the team is playing attractive football

Yes we are a big club, but we have this Glazer shit hangin over us... can't see any big name wantng to come here until thats sorted.

Unread 05-05-2011, 05:11 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Why would he come ?

Seriously, why would he leave Barca ?

He only accepts one year contracts at Barca, he's obviously trying to make the next one more lucrative by pretending to leave.

He's not going anywhere because he doesn't need to.

He's at a club that loves him, he's sucessful, the team is playing attractive football

Yes we are a big club, but we have this Glazer shit hangin over us... can't see any big name wantng to come here until thats sorted.
As a player, he left Barca as club captain on a bosman to join Brescia, tbf.

Unread 05-05-2011, 05:56 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

no, he hasn't really proved what he can do with a team who aren't exceptional in every position. i reckon most managers could manage that side to what he has without too much trouble
Closed Thread