Challenge for the league - win CL 3 6.25%
Challenge for the league, win 2 cups 3 6.25%
Challenge for the league, win 1 cup 33 68.75%
Top 4 and good cup runs 7 14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 30-05-2023, 02:52 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Default what are your expectations for next season?

shall we get into it?

let's say what we think we should be doing then there's no arguments if we've achieved our goals or fallen short next year.

Unread 30-05-2023, 02:54 PM
believe

Buy a striker who can fit in straight away and we’re challenging for the league;

Unread 30-05-2023, 02:54 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Buy a striker who can fit in straight away and we’re challenging for the league;
This.

Unread 30-05-2023, 02:55 PM
Dr Stranger

Progress. In the same we have this season.

Improvement in our play, personnel and mentality.

Unread 30-05-2023, 02:57 PM
NedKelly

Better track record in away games
10 point increase in the league
Quarters of the CL (at least)
Another cup - happy for us to focus more on the FA cup and sack the league cup off
More goals scored - ideally another 20+ in the league

I’d be very happy with that.

Unread 30-05-2023, 02:59 PM
Dasilvatwins

All depends on the window. If we have no money to spend or for whatever reason take over doesn’t happen etc, my expectations of ETH is essentially to do the same as this year.

If we get a few signings then , then it’s about challenging for the league and a trophy if possible.

Unread 30-05-2023, 03:05 PM
Dr Stranger

League is hard to gauge. Seven teams feel they should be top four. Make a shit start, get a couple of injuries and you’re chasing.

As Ned says, a 10 point increase is a realistic hope. 85 points puts us into a title race and territory we haven’t seen since Fergie left.

If we sign well and keep improving, it’s a reasonable expectation.

Unread 30-05-2023, 03:17 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

All depends on summer signings.

Lowest goals scored from any top 4 side in the past 16 years. Bottom out of 64 teams is pretty damning. If personnel remains same, is it more likely that Rashford reverts (if only a small amount), or that other forwards/midfielders with no demonstrable history of scoring step up and buck their established trend? Its a question ..

Hard to judge Mount on this season given injuries / dumpster fire that has been Chelsea FC, but in all preceding seasons he'd be 2nd/3rd top scorer for us this season in league. That is one step forward to adding goals to side but new striker is clearly critical.

Present risks to new season are not finding new source of goals, deterioration of midfield w/ Eriksen + Cas a year older, other teams getting more savvy to how to line up against ETH. Can't be complacent.

With this squad, 3rd + a trophy is probably the reasonable zenith. Hard to get a similar run out of this set again next year. Mount + Osimhen/Kane + a replacement for Maguire who can also cover the right side & a deep CL run + mid 80s pt push looks reasonable.

Unread 30-05-2023, 03:17 PM
windy waffles

I'd just like to see us with a healthy goal difference for one. It's been five years since it was over 30 ffs.

Unread 30-05-2023, 03:20 PM
Bunker Buster

Challenge for the league and grab some silverware....

If next season is better than this season....then Jesus !

Also can't wait to hear the champions league music under th lights and see my son's face, he's only heard it on FIFA, was soooo excited when I explained we were back in it...

Unread 30-05-2023, 03:28 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Also can't wait to hear the champions league music under th lights and see my son's face, he's only heard it on FIFA, was soooo excited when I explained we were back in it...

Unread 30-05-2023, 03:38 PM
moransbleedinghead

We are probably too far behind City to challenge properly for the League. However, if Inter can get to the CL final this year, then there's no reason why we can't next year, so hoping we can add number 4.

Unread 30-05-2023, 03:41 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Absolutely tremendous 👍

Unread 30-05-2023, 03:47 PM
wiganste

Get someone in who can score goals and there's no reason why we can't push City all the way. The amount of chances Bruno has created this season is ridiculous.
Harry Kane scores 30+ in this team.

I don't think we'll win it next season (but I may change my mind once the takeover is done and see who comes in and goes out) but as long as we keep progressing, establish ourselves as a Champions League club, we have to be pleased.

Unread 30-05-2023, 04:40 PM
Hyman_Roth

Too early to say as it depends who we get in. I’d say two strikers is the bare minimum we need and one of them needs to someone at the top of their game. Everyone on here has a long list of must haves like de Gea being booted etc so some of us are going to be disappointed.

Think city under Pep are too well oiled (forgive the pun) to unseat easily and they’re already far better set up for next season than we are. We need players to come in, settle and be effective really quickly - we can see from Antony and Sancho how difficult that is.

Once pep goes then they’ll really struggle for a bit so we need to be ready to pounce at that point. Make it uncomfortable for them in the meantime.

We should be better than the rest next season but I wouldn’t be surprised to finish third again. I wouldn’t be that disappointed either.

Unread 30-05-2023, 04:53 PM
jem

it's impossible to have expectations without shaking up the squad. will be happy to be in with a shout of the league and not embarrass ourselves in europe.

Unread 30-05-2023, 08:55 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it's impossible to have expectations without shaking up the squad. will be happy to be in with a shout of the league and not embarrass ourselves in europe.
so it's not impossible then...

I'm expecting that we improve the squad to the degree that we'll be challenging for the title until deep into the season and win one of the cups again to keep the taste for silverware going.

Unread 30-05-2023, 10:15 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
so it's not impossible then...
ink free.

Unread 30-05-2023, 10:24 PM
pedr0

I'd be happy to get the same position and points total as this year tbh. That in a way would be progress given our usual habit of falling off a cliff the season after getting top 4.

Would be great to see some progression in terms of our style of play. Be nice to dish out a few more tonkings and be on the receiving end of a few less.

Unread 30-05-2023, 10:53 PM
poppy

The title. I don’t buy this gentle progression, Gerard Houllier-style five-year-plan %@#$&!s. Didn’t Leicester finish bottom half the year before they won it?

89 points won the league this season. We can be getting more than that. Plus if City win the European Cup they might well be managed by Patrick Vieira or Tony Book next season. Get the £#%&!ing thing won.
Closed Thread