United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Baron

Nice to see some English youngsters doing well, the u-19's to the Euro final, u-21's also in the final, Wilshere showing that the yoof of today are more interested in skill & passing than big powerful lumps that would have invariably got people excited a decade ago.

Watching Wilshere skin defenders in pre-season is one thing, Wenger isn't a complete tit though, doubt you'll see the lad make more than a fleeting appearance in the first XI except the Carling Cup.

Unread 03-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Wilshere looks an unbelievable prospect tbf. His technique and ability is astonishing for a 17 year old kid. He has only just turned 17 as well.

His awareness is very noticeable too. He drifts in to dangerous areas all the time and seems to have that inherent ability of knowing where the ball is going to drop.

His second goal yesterday was class.

I know these games are pre season friendlies etc but he looked very talented last year as well. He is going to be a special player by the looks of things.
A very scholes esque trait. And hugely important. We don't have any players like that who can replace scholes, and is the kind of player we should be looking for in the market.

Right place, right time.

Unread 03-08-2009, 10:41 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
A very scholes esque trait. And hugely important. We don't have any players like that who can replace scholes, and is the kind of player we should be looking for in the market.

Right place, right time.
Don't think that Arse will be selling their best young player will they.

Silva could play a Scholeslike role.

Unread 03-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Ginners

Quote:

Right place, right time.
yup, would be an ideal scholes replacement imo. cant see it happening though.

Unread 03-08-2009, 10:46 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by berba
so you think international football is not shit? and anyways it is my opinion.

I think champions league and the club football in general is miles ahead of what international football is.
I hate international football, I haven't always though.There's been some great teams and superb players like (for me, in my day anyway) Caniggia, Maradona, Gullit, Batistuta, Rijkaard, Van Basten,Platini, Tigana, Laudrup, countless Brazilians even some West German teams have been graced with some great players.Some of the Euro's and World Cups that I've been lucky enough to see will stay with me forever (Mexico 86, Italia 90, The Holland team of 88 etc).

Nowadays though, I really despise the stuff.It's dreadful and teams are robotic.It's rare you can see a truely great game played by two great teams.England epitomise everything that I hate about it: dull, boring football with no genius or invention and hyped up to £#%&! too.France have been poor for years, Italy (despite winning the world cup) could send you to sleep, Argentina (despite some great goals/players) are phenominal bottlers, Germany have regressed and Brazil are hit and miss.Even their winning team of 94 was dull as £#%&! imo.The standard is shocking and I don't think there's anyone in the right mind that doesn't prefer the club game.

International football =

Unread 03-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Rossi the Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I hate international football, I haven't always though.There's been some great teams and superb players like (for me, in my day anyway) Caniggia, Maradona, Gullit, Batistuta, Rijkaard, Van Basten,Platini, Tigana, Laudrup, countless Brazilians even some West German teams have been graced with some great players.Some of the Euro's and World Cups that I've been lucky enough to see will stay with me forever (Mexico 86, Italia 90, The Holland team of 88 etc).

Nowadays though, I really despise the stuff.It's dreadful and teams are robotic.It's rare you can see a truely great game played by two great teams.England epitomise everything that I hate about it: dull, boring football with no genius or invention and hyped up to £#%&! too.France have been poor for years, Italy (despite winning the world cup) could send you to sleep, Argentina (despite some great goals/players) are phenominal bottlers, Germany have regressed and Brazil are hit and miss.Even their winning team of 94 was dull as £#%&! imo.The standard is shocking and I don't think there's anyone in the right mind that doesn't prefer the club game.

International football =
I totally agree however, Spain played some amazing football in Euro 2008. Some may even dub it...the 'Xavi and Iniesta Show'.

Unread 03-08-2009, 10:51 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi the Red
I totally agree however, Spain played some amazing football in Euro 2008. Some may even dub it...the 'Xavi and Iniesta Show'.
Oh aye, no problem with agreeing with that.But it's a fleeting glimpse of brilliance in a pool of turgid shite imo.

Unread 03-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Baron

Quote:

International football =
it's all true enough, but Club football went through some shit times as well - the European Cup at the start of the '80's & yet the International teams had the likes of Brazil '82 etc.

Swings & round-a-bouts, lets hope the International stuff picks up by next Summer, I love a World Cup me. Spain play it the right way, the Argies might be bottlers but it's mainly due to having the inmates run the asylum. France have a £#%&!ing lunatic in charge of the team as well, so much talent in their squad, sack Dommenech & they'll probably win it next year for my money, stick with him & they fail in the 1/4's. Even England have worked out that the right coach can get the right results & even score goals at that level. Who knew...

Unread 03-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Rossi the Red

Quote:
Oh aye, no problem with agreeing with that.But it's a fleeting glimpse of brilliance in a pool of turgid shite imo.
Still can't believe England didn't even qualify for it!

Unread 03-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:

Right place, right time.
Was thinking the same tbh. Would never happen. Arsenal may as well pack up and go home if they are going to sell their best young english talent for god knows how long to United before he has even had a run in the first team.

Unread 03-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Rossi the Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
it's all true enough, but Club football went through some shit times as well - the European Cup at the start of the '80's & yet the International teams had the likes of Brazil '82 etc.

Swings & round-a-bouts, lets hope the International stuff picks up by next Summer, I love a World Cup me. Spain play it the right way, the Argies might be bottlers but it's mainly due to having the inmates run the asylum. France have a £#%&!ing lunatic in charge of the team as well, so much talent in their squad, sack Dommenech & they'll probably win it next year for my money, stick with him & they fail in the 1/4's. Even England have worked out that the right coach can get the right results & even score goals at that level. Who knew...
Really looking forward to Saaf Afreeca 2010!

Unread 03-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Baron

Quote:
Really looking forward to Saaf Afreeca 2010!
apart from those @#%&!ing trupet things that sound like a swarm of bees.

The football should be good though.

Unread 03-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Don't think that Arse will be selling their best young player will they.

Silva could play a Scholeslike role.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
yup, would be an ideal scholes replacement imo. cant see it happening though.
Quote:
Was thinking the same tbh. Would never happen. Arsenal may as well pack up and go home if they are going to sell their best young english talent for god knows how long to United before he has even had a run in the first team.
sorry you misunderstand me, i just mean any player who has that 'gift' - not necessarily wilshere. i've not even seen him play really so i can't comment

personally I think we should be in for j.cole. we need SOMEBODY. first choice would be that little diego fella if he was available

Unread 03-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Sparky***

Well let's hope Wilshere develops as well as Theo Walcott.

Unread 03-08-2009, 11:14 AM
berba

Quote:

International football =

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't say that international football was always shit. I genuinely liked world cup 2002. senegal and south korea were a good introduction to the world cup and a resurging brazil was good to watch.

but from 2002 onwards, it has been utterly shit.

Spain are lucky that they have peaked at a time when most of the other teams are purely shit. if they don't win a world cup now then they will be cursing themselves 10 years later.

Unread 03-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Well let's hope Wilshere develops as well as Theo Walcott.
yes because they are virtually identical in terms of talent etc

Unread 03-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by berba
I didn't say that international football was always shit. I genuinely liked world cup 2002. senegal and south korea were a good introduction to the world cup and a resurging brazil was good to watch.

but from 2002 onwards, it has been utterly shit.

Spain are lucky that they have peaked at a time when most of the other teams are purely shit. if they don't win a world cup now then they will be cursing themselves 10 years later.
England's 'golden generation' was between 2002 - 2006. We should have been to at least a major final in that time if it wasn't for Sven and Dutch Schteve. We had some great players at the top of their game in those years.

Unread 03-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
yes because they are virtually identical in terms of talent etc
I wasn't comparing them directly, smart arse. I was just hoping their overall development goes the same i.e not very far.

Unread 03-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
England's 'golden generation' was between 2002 - 2006. We should have been to at least a major final in that time if it wasn't for Sven and Dutch Schteve. We had some great players at the top of their game in those years.
True, but the players were limited in as much as they could play the "English" way & that was it. I firmly believe the players we have now are more talented & versatile.

Nice little article on stereo-types from Tim Vickery on the BBC site

Unread 03-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
True, but the players were limited in as much as they could play the "English" way & that was it. I firmly believe the players we have now are more talented & versatile.

Nice little article on stereo-types from Tim Vickery on the BBC site
I believe the manager is better, that's why. We had better players from 2002-2006.
Closed Thread